The Ryanair

Are these trainers for real? I can understand them running Cheltenham no-hopers in late February but it's too risky this close to the Festival.

I can't get excited by a single horse in the ryanair - is it the worst renewal since it's inception?

No bet race for me as things stand.

Are these trainers for real? I can understand them running Cheltenham no-hopers in late February but it's too risky this close to the Festival.

I've no problem at all with a horse having a race two and a half weeks before its intended run at the Festival. There have been plenty of Cheltenham winners over the years who have had an even shorter gap between races than that. The Imperial Cup bonus hunters are the obvious ones, of course.

I'm more concerned about Chasers to be honest. Planet of Sound had a nasty looking fall on Saturday that can't have helped his Ryanair claims.

I think she is good enough, though she seems to be an all-or-nothing mare and could finish nowhere. Even if you ignore her apparently classy success last time in a dubious contest there is her demolition job of 17 rivals at the Punchestown Festival to consider. That was off an ITC mark of 134 (she gets 7 lb off the gents in the Ryanair) and you won't see many easier winners of a supposedly competitive handicap. It seems as if Mullins was not happy with her until recently, and the market move suggests she will be running and running with some confidence behind her.

I fancy Tranquil Sea strongly for the RyanAir. That was about as decent a trial over an inadequate trip as you could hope for.

I fancy Tranquil Sea strongly for the RyanAir. That was about as decent a trial over an inadequate trip as you could hope for.

Couldn't agree more - he's massively cleared up the picture for me. 5/1 is enormous. Very little to beat, imo.

I've posted on TRF that i've been backing this horse for a while and i've been saying he should have been favourite for some time. I thought he won as expected yesterday and i'll continue to invest in him up until the day. He has speed, stamina and is now an excellent jumper of a fence (Although he still has this tendency to dive to the right somewhat). I know Nicholls reckons Poquelin will improve for good ground but he will need to find about 3 more gears to keep up with Tranquil Sea.

Hopefully he will pay for my holiday this year so I can sit on a resort on the tranquil mediterranean sea!!!

A bit of aftertiming here (wasn't online over the weekend), but Paddy Power are doing a lot of Cheltenham specials, with a different special every day, with the odds of the double reflecting the amount of days left to Cheltenham - I had a little bit on the 18/1 for Tranquil Sea to be placed and Alaivan to win.

Last edited:
You're right - I just think it looks a slightly better bet what with Tranquil Sea doing it well yesterday.

Back