The Ryanair

Euronymous

Senior Jockey
I think this race deserves it's own thread by now. I also think from a punting point of view it offers up the most scope for a bet at this stage.

The market at the moment looks all wrong to me. Betfair have Poquelin three whole points shorter Tranquil Sea (5.5 as opposed to 8.4) the only reason that for that surely is the identity of the former's trainer. You also have Barber's Shop second favourite @ 7 - a horse that rarely wins and an animal I just can't see finishing well over 21f up that hill. Poor price. VPU is also rank value at 8.8 as he has too many miles on the clock and isn't really at his best round here.

I backed Planet of Sound for this at 14s after his impressive run at Ascot but my quandary is do I top up and get some money on the place element, or do I put Tranquil Sea in my camp as well?

I think you're correct in identifying Planet Of Sound as the value among those you mention.

I'm not sure of running plans but I'd argue if they send Deep Purple for this instead of anything else he'd have very strong claims. The concern is that he's a huge price at Betfair although he's gone blue so someone (apart from me) has been nibbling at the price.

Current figures in my book:

Poquelin 169p
Tranquil Sea 167?
Voy PU 166
Planet OS 168p
Barbers Shop165+
Joncol 161
Deep Purple 166p

Obviously if connections of Imperial Commander decide to duck the Gold Cup and go for a repeat in this then that would put quite a different complexion on the race.

Last edited:
Not sure the trainer is the only reason for the difference between Poquelin and Tranquil Sea's prices Euro. I think Poquelin was ridden wrong in the Paddy Power, was given too much to do. Ridden closer to the pace in the Boylesports showed him in a much better light. Having said that, 3 points is too much of a gap, and i'd rather take the bigger price about Tranquil Sea personally.

Hugely competitive race and definitely the race with the best punting angles as pointed out. I would love to see Imperial Commander run in this. He loves it round Cheltenham, but not enough to compete with Kauto or Denman. He'd have a favourites chance of winning this. Surely he can't hit a mark good enough to win the Gold Cup!? Unless Cooldine comes back to form i can't see what finishes ahead of him for 3rd all the same.

Imagine the Poquelin team will point to the likely better ground being a big help to his chances than when he last met Tranquil Sea though the O'Grady horse may have a preference for a sounder surface as well.

VPU's chance surely depends on whether his current form is due to King's problems with his horses or decline .

I fear the latter - I cannot see how an Arkle and Champion Chase winner can be characterised as not acting round Cheltenham though

Dare I say VPU looks the typical King horse...top class horse for a couple of years but falls out of love with the game relatively quickly.

Dare I say VPU looks the typical King horse...top class horse for a couple of years but falls out of love with the game relatively quickly.

Frankly, I think it is fair to say they do not have longevity

MWDS,VPU, Franchoek ....

I fear the latter - I cannot see how an Arkle and Champion Chase winner can be characterised as not acting round Cheltenham though

It's not so much his not acting at the course it's more that his best runs have come away from Cheltenham. He didn't need to show anything near normal QM winning form once Well Chief fell in his Champion Chase win and he only won the Arkle because of the weight concession 5yo's got then.

For a horse that was on the go in juvenile hurdles, I don't think it's a surprise that a horse that won in grade one company in 2005/6, 2006/7, 2007/8 and 2008/9 to be on the demise now. There aren't many horses that win Grade 1's in open company 3 seasons running so I think your point regarding Voy Por Ustedes is rather harsh.

TRANQUIL SEA is an interesting contender.

People mention his need for soft/heavy ground but we must not forget the O'Grady horse is a Grade 1 winner on Good ground, beating the more than useful FIVEFORTHREE & TRAFFORD LAD in the process.

All previous Ryanair winners took the PaddyPower/Boylesports route at some point in their career.

Poquelin ran a bizarre race in the Paddy Power and on reflection I basically think he wasn't quick enough and could not go the pace in the ground (The time's between the boylesports and PP are almost identical yet the PP was on heavier ground). I've been backing Tranquil sea as he has shown good form in graded races, stays the trip but has 2 mile speed and has solid course form. 7/1 is a gift I reckon.

I think this race deserves it's own thread by now. I also think from a punting point of view it offers up the most scope for a bet at this stage.

The market at the moment looks all wrong to me. Betfair have Poquelin three whole points shorter Tranquil Sea (5.5 as opposed to 8.4) the only reason that for that surely is the identity of the former's trainer. You also have Barber's Shop second favourite @ 7 - a horse that rarely wins and an animal I just can't see finishing well over 21f up that hill. Poor price. VPU is also rank value at 8.8 as he has too many miles on the clock and isn't really at his best round here.

I backed Planet of Sound for this at 14s after his impressive run at Ascot but my quandary is do I top up and get some money on the place element, or do I put Tranquil Sea in my camp as well?

Personally I strongly fancy Tranqil Sea, he's a good solid e/w shot at around 6/1.

Last edited:
Poquelin ran a bizarre race in the Paddy Power and on reflection I basically think he wasn't quick enough and could not go the pace in the ground (The time's between the boylesports and PP are almost identical yet the PP was on heavier ground).
The Paddy Power and the Boylesports GC are run on different courses and at a different trip.

33 left in the Ryanair at the latest stage. They are as follows:

ALBERTAS RUN
ARAN CONCERTO
BARBERS SHOP
BARKER
CHAPOTURGEON
CONSIGLIERE
DEEP PURPLE
DEUTSCHLAND
FORPADYDEPLASTERER
GLENCOVE MARINA
GOLDEN SILVER
GWANAKO
HERECOMESTHETRUTH
J'Y VOLE
JACK THE GIANT
MADE IN TAIPAN
MASTER MEDIC
NEWMILL
OUR VIC
PANJO BERE
PETIT ROBIN
PLANET OF SOUND
POQUELIN
RARE BOB
SCHINDLERS HUNT
SCOTSIRISH
SNOWY MORNING
SOMETHING WELLS
TARTAK
THE FONZE
TRANQUIL SEA
VOY POR USTEDES
WATCH MY BACK

I think hes just had a long lay-off due to injury. It would surprise me greatly if he would have his first run back from injury in the Champion Chase

Back