The UK Political Landscape

A one week leadership race.

We must have an election immediately after this.

Last edited:
It was clear she was teeing us up for the announcement but yet another unelected PM? This time foisted on us by a couple of hundred fannies?

Fvck right off.

Last edited:
It was clear she was teeing us up for the announcement but yet another unelected PM? This time foisted on us by a couple of hundred fannies?

Fvck right off.

Let them get their new leader within a week and then force them into an election.

This will be one of the most humiliating elections if not the most humiliating in the history of their party and no prizes for stating we are in the beginning of the end.

Last edited:
I don't think there is any way that a General Election can be forced onto the government, remember how Cameron and his bandits changed the rules?

I don't think there is any way that a General Election can be forced onto the government, remember how Cameron and his bandits changed the rules?

You're probably right.

It's what this countries needs though.

Last edited:

Yes, they changed the rules back to PM’s decision (within five years) from the five year fixed term rule. The chances of a new PM calling one is pretty remote, I think, however much it’s thought of generally as the thing to do.

This all began with Johnson being chosen as leader. One that threw out centre right Conservative MP’s because they opposed him and caused others ( eg Rory Stewart) to leave the party. And now, Paul Bristow is saying they should bring Boris Johnson back because that’s what his constituents want. It’s all about the party and power. No mention of what’s best for the people whose lives have been damaged by the events of the past few weeks. I guess it’s all down to who the ERG and Tufton Street want as PM.

This all began with Johnson being chosen as leader. One that threw out centre right Conservative MP’s because they opposed him and caused others ( eg Rory Stewart) to leave the party. And now, Paul Bristow is saying they should bring Boris Johnson back because that’s what his constituents want. It’s all about the party and power. No mention of what’s best for the people whose lives have been damaged by the events of the past few weeks. I guess it’s all down to who the ERG and Tufton Street want as PM.

Boris just 3/1 with most bookies now.

Out of the frying pan into the fire then back in the frying pan again. God help us.

Believe the ERG backed Liiz Truss.:D

This all began with Johnson being chosen as leader.

I disagree.

I think it started with Cameron being gullibled into allowing the Brexit referendum. We were going downhill by then anyway but that vote killed our relationship with Europe and we've been on a downward spiral ever since. Who'd have thought it could have got worse than Johnson?!

[FONT=&quot]I'm afraid the rest of the World has been laughing at us ever since the referendum, now they are rolling on the floor.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If you were a foreign businessman, would you invest your money here?

[/FONT]

Believe the ERG backed Liiz Truss.:D

Rory Stewart said that Truss was never pro EU. It’s just that, rare as it is for her, she supported vote leave because she foresaw the disruption that brexit would cause. She probably wanted to stay in Cameron’s good books to further her career too.

I disagree.

I think it started with Cameron being gullibled into allowing the Brexit referendum. We were going downhill by then anyway but that vote killed our relationship with Europe and we've been on a downward spiral ever since. Who'd have thought it could have got worse than Johnson?!
I know I keep repeating what Rory says ( or my interpretation of it) but he says Cameron should have stood up to UKIP instead of pandering to him. I’ll never forgive him for the referendum or forget how I felt when the result was announced. But it was Johnson that removed any morality or decency that the party had. Anna Soubry and Rory would never have served under him. I really wanted to spend the latter years of my life reading books, having my bets and going to the cinema instead of watching parliament today, writing to my MP and campaigning for a change of government

I disagree.

I doubly disagree (in part anyway).

For all their failures and shortcomings, it really went downhill for them with the handling of and Boris's partying through the covid pandemic.

As for Cameron, he was obviously electable. I am still astounded and partly mystified as to how he won a majority in 2015 on a ticket of more austerity.

One thing Jeremy Corbyn did do well was highlight the unfairness of austerity on poorer people and public services. The debate on austerity really started to change under his watch as Labour leader.

Other factors constantly undermining the tory's electability were and are numerous incompetent ministers who lack basic common sense. We also now have a war in Ukraine, and the consequential cost of living crisis, so you have the perfect storm.

Technically DO is right in that when Cameron allowed the E.U referendum the party's popularity gradually decreased thereafter, apart from one spike in popularity in the 2019 election when Boris beat Corbyn.

But coming to back Cameron, much as I think he got his austerity economics the wrong way around, in that surely the rich should pay more taxes to balance the books as opposed to the poor and public services, Cameron, like him or deteste him, was a relative electorial success for the tories.

He got turkeys to vote for christmas after the economic crisis of 2008 and that took some doing!!!

Gordon Brown said at the start David Cameron was a salesman and that's exactly what he was. Good for the tories but bad for the wider country and poorer people and public services.

Last edited:
Gordon Brown said at the start he was a salesman and that's exactly what he was. Good for the tories but bad for the wider country and poorer people and public services.

I do think that's a very unfair criticism of Gordon Brown. He was as shrewd an economist as you'll get. He was shafted from within his own party.

I do think that's a very unfair criticism of Gordon Brown. He was as shrewd an economist as you'll get. He was shafted from within his own party.

Unfair in what way, DO? Where did I criticize Gordon Brown?

I meant Gordon Brown said David Cameron was a salesman at the start and Gordon Brown was right about that.

The paragraph you have quoted was in reference to what I think about David Cameron.

I have edited that post for clarity.

Last edited:
I disagree.

Cameron probably didn't take into account just what a godsend Corbyn would become to the Brexiters in making Brexit happen

Back