The Well Worn Road To The Champion Hurdle (2016)

So all we'll get to see is him win an egg & spoon race before the CH. We'll then be subjected to lots of bluff and bluster from Henderson about how he's back to his best during the run up. Add in the fact that he never liked a fight even when he was at the top of his game and it's a very brave man who'd back him. Not for me thanks.

Providing he doesn't pull too hard when winning his egg and spoon race, then he's much the likeliest CH winner, imo.

Last edited:
I don't know about the most likeliest because he's got much to prove after so long out. He's got to beat a contender and do it well on his comeback. If he does he'll provide a link back to the previous generation and bit of an X factor and add some interest for an ew bet at best.

Last edited:
He surely won't run a 5yo in the Betfair Hurdle with what will almost certainly be a stopping-weight? He'd leave any CH chances behind at Newbury if he did that.

Henderson likes to ponce it at Sandown in the old Agfa Hurdle, with his over-rated CH horses (pretty sure Binocular ran in that), and of course, he could always send P&C to the Morebattle Hurdle at Kelso........assuming the Spanish kid Gonzalez Byas is still Assistant Trainer at Seven Barrows.

;)

:lol:

Got to be a tough one to call Grassy.....but here's what will happen. MTOY will miss the Champion Hurdle.....David Jacobs will be told he will ride Top Notch and Barry will come in for the ride on P&Co.

My alarm clock went off just now or I would have given you the winner :lol:

Old Guard to get an entry in the Xmas hurdle. Not sure the track will suit as much as Cheltenham, but interesting to see how he goes against Faugheen. A worthy 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] would do me

Old Guard to get an entry in the Xmas hurdle. Not sure the track will suit as much as Cheltenham, but interesting to see how he goes against Faugheen. A worthy 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] would do me

He'd have to find 10 pounds with TNO and more than a stone with Faugheen. He's only 4yo, he'll progress till March but doubtful he has what it takes to mix it with those 2 at this stage.

Did they find anything wrong with Faugheen after the Morgiana ? 2-5 is mighty short for a horse turned over like that - but for a mistake by Nichols Canyon at the last he would have been beaten comfortably and Wicklow Brave did nothing for the form in the Fighting Fifth

Is the plan for WPM to run both Arctic Fire and NC in the Ryanair? If so I reckon the former will win and if Windsor Park was 100% he'd beat them both

The Morgiana isn't worth the paper it's written on imvho

Did they find anything wrong with Faugheen after the Morgiana ? 2-5 is mighty short for a horse turned over like that - but for a mistake by Nichols Canyon at the last he would have been beaten comfortably and Wicklow Brave did nothing for the form in the Fighting Fifth
Nothing, the theory is that he was tired so he hung badly when sprinting for home and couldn't pass a stakes flat winner who's twice as small, who gets racing fit in less time than a NH chaser type like Faugheen. Apparently a horse that just starts his season can't handle 2 races in the space of only 4-5 days. That Curragh gallop made his price halve for Morgiana by those watching it, but it also took alot out of Faugheen, while NC reportedly a lazy home worker with both Gosden and Mullins.
Willie Mullins said:
I thought his gallop before Punchestown was spectacular so I won't let him do that again - we might have done too much before the Morgiana

He probably would've got away with it if Walsh had applied the correct tactics.
Ruby Walsh said:
Hindsight is a wonderful thing and perhaps I should have sat in front of Nichols Canyon, rather than trying to do him for speed.
Willie Mullins said:
I don't think Ruby was worried about Nichols Canyon after the piece of work they did together at the Curragh.. It ended up that the two of them probably cooked their own goose. Ruby [Walsh] probably thought he would get a lead from Nichols Canyon and we never dreamt that Faugheen would be flat. He appeared fine on the day but perhaps he was flat after the piece or work. He hung because he was tired.

NC slowed at the last, he didn't made a jump mistake like Faugheen at 2nd last.
Ruby Walsh said:
Faugheen jumped well but slightly missed the second last whereas Nichols Canyon winged it. That could have been the difference between winning and losing.

I don't think the Morgiana form will amount to much, first half of the race was slowly run and the sprint for home brought WB so much closer that is hard to believe and in the strongly run Fighting Fifth where Top Notch and Identity Thief applied it, WB couldn't get within 10 lengths of them. In the Ryanair Hurdle I would think Ruby goes with the CH form, recte Arctic Fire but who knows, on his blog he's still undecided. He will make another mistake if he underestimates IT as if that one stops making jumping errors he could be a serious threat.

I think when he joined Nicholls there was an agreement (verbal or written I don’t know) he could keep TNO ride & has ridden him in every race of his career

It would have been a real tough decision for Sam, but definitely the right one…

I don't remember exactly where but most likely on twitter Q&A, Nicholls said something like `Sam will ride OG no question`. STD doesn't have 10% of the decision power that Ruby had and even Ruby sometimes couldn't do anything because of owner's pressure.

Surprise if Sign of a Victory runs against Faugheen if the ground comes up soft...horse is in good form and a run at Kempton would be the quickest way to set him back.

If it does dry up then surely Hargam will reverse placing with Old Guard although what's more interesting how will the 2 fair against TNO? assuming Faugheen is past the post

Last edited:
If it does dry up then surely Hargam will reverse placing with Old Guard although what's more interesting how will the 2 fair against TNO?

I don't know about Hargam.. Ruby lost Faugheen a race by waiting around instead of setting a proper gallop and he won't make the same mistake, so OG and TNO might be the 2 that will be more suited with a stronger pace than Hargam. I think OG has alot to find with TNO, it wasn't STD decision to get off him like the press wants us believe.. It was his job on stake and a horse for the future in OG that made him abandon the more talented TNO, still unbeaten last 2 years outside of CHs. OG is still young but can improve till March, but atm I can't have him ahead of TNO, not even close.

Has to be Nichols Canyon

Going back to the Old Guard decision, listened to Nicholl's on RUK and he was very clear that it was Sams decision after riding out both horses and discussing with him and Nigel. However. there was an undertone of "he's MY stable jockey..."

Think he will ride Nichols. He may well win this too! Though I would be firmly in the Arctic Fire camp at Cheltenham.

Going back to the Old Guard decision, listened to Nicholl's on RUK and he was very clear that it was Sams decision after riding out both horses and discussing with him and Nigel. However. there was an undertone of "he's MY stable jockey..."

Pretty much how I read it too.

Back