The Well Worn Road To The Champion Hurdle (2016)

Loved her from day 1

Average renewal, good for her.

Fine Fine showing from MTOY.

Annie jumped very very well there

She deserved it, It would have been an offence against the sport to have her trotting round Mares hurdles year after year.

Great run from MTOY but beaten soundly.

Ruby enjoyed that a little bit, didn't he? :)

Didn't he just
I did too, I havn't backed a winner yet but its been a great day, Everything that's good about the sport.

I'm seeing chatter on Facebook about a course record? 3:45:10 - is that down to course config/remeasuring or a genuine record?

its a little of those + tailwind in straight Cruella..if you did speed figures you would see its perfect good ground.

The ground is timing out as perfect middle Good ground ..the record being broken means little as Cheltenham records are only ever set on good ground..not like any other course where it would point to very fast ground..only the best races here are ever run on Good..hence a record being broken is only telling you good ground..unless they break it by a vast amount..this is just a little faster than Jezki..when the ground was also Good..no tail wind that day either..although a tailwind will also be a slight headwind for part of the far back straight ..but overall with the direction of it it will speed times up overall by a little

looks to be perfect good ground on the clock..looks it as well

the course clearly dries out very quickly..when you think it was supposed to be soft a few days ago

Last edited:
Wasn't to be for MTOY, but a superlative ride from Ruby. Wasn't sure she'd have the speed so he had to stretch them, but still kept enough in reserve to fight off the challenge from the 2nd. For all she was an afterthought, I doubt Faugheen would have done better.

Just watching Altior I would have a bet he was the faster horse between him and Annie from 3 out and he's only a novice.

Annie Power is very good but she's won a very disappointing Champion Hurdle I doubt if she's as good as Faugheen who beat NC 28 lengths not 43/4 lengths

WPM Ricci and Co better hope I am right :)

Faugheen v Annie v Altior would be some spectacle next year, I'd be amazed if Willie/Ricci let it happen though..I would say their more likely to try and right the World Hurdle defeat.

Kevin blake tweeted this earlier
a2a48f16816271b2ebea80097017c010.jpg

A water spigot left in the ground after the 2nd last. Could've been a disaster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Race 4 - 3:30pm THE STAN JAMES CHAMPION HURDLE CHALLENGE TROPHY (CLASS 1) (Grade 1)
The Stewards enquired into why a spigot was left in the crossing after the second last flight of hurdles, approximately a metre from the inside running rail, causing the runners on the inside to have to take evasive action. They interviewed the Clerk of the Course, who stated that the spigot had inadvertently been left when the groundstaff had shifted the running rail to enable them to spray the crossing with green dye. He added that to avoid this happening in future he had instructed the groundstaff to leave the spigots in situ during spraying. Having also viewed video recordings of the race they forwarded the matter to the Head Office of the British Horseracing Authority for further consideration.

An absolutely fantastic race and even if it wasn't their intention to run her I was chuffed to bits to see her finally confirm what a great mare she is. It may not have been the best champion ever but she hurdled best, had the pace and stayed on very well. Breaking the course record was a bit of icing.

Great mare. Best I've seen since i started watching in 03.

Fair play to Annie Power, makes you think why they didn't run her in this for the last couple of years. Must admit if I'd have backed MTOY i'd be pissed off being beaten by a horse that wasn't even entered.

Last edited:
Back