The Whippersnappers versus The Zimmerframers

Warbler

At the Start
The inaugural TH battle of the generations

Now in order to catch the trendy bug of innovation and in the spirit of the BHA's recent obsession with team events, it some how seemed appropriate (especially in view of the recent notable trend of the wiser old heads amongst us in failing to read properly, understand and follow threads) that battle lines be drawn in the name of competition.

With York due next week then it has befallen the older folks of this forum to teach the young turks a thing or two by drawing on their vast resevoir of experience in a team challenge. Now I've tentatively drawn the line at 35 years (guesstimate) although the weights might rise depending on how the teams start to balance out. It might therefore be that those of you who wish to take part but whose OR is on the verge of the handicap proper could be allotted in place in the camp you'd rather not be considered for!!!

Ideally we're looking for two teams of about 12 (Ryder Cup) to be played over the 3 days of York. Volunteers will have to declare which side of the 35 year bracket they fall, by signing up for the approriate team. Could anyone who is a close qualify please indicate with the whistling emoticon please, as it might be necessary to adjust the weights as i explained.

It will be a matchplay affair to a daily betting bank of £1000 as this is the format that we've probably grown accustomed to. I have relented from offering a 'large print' option for the time being but if Colin Phillips is struggling, let me know please.

The the victor the bragging rights

Players drawn against each other on a daily basis (one from the Whipper to play one from the Zimmers). Each player is given £1K to place in mythical bets. Returns settled at SP. The player who beats their opponent scores 1 point for their team.

I'm in for the whippersnappers (30!).

Although you feel it ought to, I wouldn't be so sure that 30 would get you on the Whippersnappers team!!! And as I type this I start to hesi.... tate.... Not sure I've thought this through. If my maths is right, Shadow Leader might end up on a zimmer too. Oh bloody helll!!!! Who's gonna explain that one to her?

Last edited:
I know:D I've just realised.

It is beholden on people of maturity to sign up I fear:p Mind you, she might not participate, which would get me off the hook. Otherwise I can't pretend that I'm looking forward to communciating the news to her that she's been redesignated as too old to play for the youngsters.

I think perhaps a fly past message attached to a light aircraft, along with a change of identity and a secret hiding place in a hotel in Rio might do the trick

Age is just a number, you are all good people regardless of your age in my opinion :)

Regrets: two days race work, then off to visit my cuz, far beyond the Watford Gap, for the last day, so although I'd be fairly confident of a good showing between nursey changing my nappies and being spoon-fed my Complan, will have to swerve this one. Good luck, golden oldies!

Im not about either ( huge sigh of relief from everyone at that news!!) but Im 35, so where would I have gone? or would I just have to spread myself out between the two??

Ideally we're looking for two teams of about 12 (Ryder Cup) to be played over the 3 days of York.

Warbs, darling - York takes place over four days now and has done for about the last two years (not that last year happened, but you get my drift).

As for the zimmer frame comments; I'm on crutches as it is so a zimmer frame would probably make life a whole lot easier!

I'm getting too old for these competitive events.

If someone is prepared to rattle my cage on a regular basis just to make sure I don't drop off, I suppose I'm duty bound to uphold the theory that age is no barrier.

Whippersnappers, just about, I'll be 33 on the day it all begins, but 34 for the rest of the meeting!

Does one really have to say? For the record, around the middle but sadly, (or not whatever the case maybe), falling on the zimmer side of the equation.

Back