Things Only Arseholes Say...

I can't stand it any more: "less" instead of "fewer", as in the dumb car ad which talks about "less emissions".

VVO: "verballise"???? :blink: Verbalise (one 'l'), hideous clunker that it is, means to make verbal, or, in less fancy lingo - to speak. You mean to create a verb from a noun. You've just done the thing you detest - make a verb from a noun! You have now lost five bonus points, when you were just about to medal... ;)

I can't stand it any more: "less" instead of "fewer", as in the dumb car ad which talks about "less emissions".

VVO: "verballise"???? :blink: Verbalise (one 'l'), hideous clunker that it is, means to make verbal, or, in less fancy lingo - to speak. You mean to create a verb from a noun. You've just done the thing you detest - make a verb from a noun! You have now lost five bonus points, when you were just about to medal... ;)

Bang to rights (which is another duffer) :D

This is going to hurt me more than it hurts you

No one is sorrier than me that we have to do this

VVO - :lol::lol:

Just a bit (as in, "Do you like tomatoes?" "Just a bit.")

Is everybody having a gooood tiiiime?

Oh, don't you have XXXXX on the menu? (No, you dimwit, or else it would be on it, wouldn't it?)

Hi! Would you have five minutes to spare for the poor, starving children of yet another corrupt Third World country?

Exactly. Best/ worst example of all!

I dunno.

I once recall watching a game that fat, perma-tanned idiot Ron Atkinson was commentating on. When a defender made a long-run at a corner and managed to get a header on target, Atkinson's comment was "That was a great arrive".

Tit.

It seems that every couple of years or so, a word or phrase is coined which is used to death. I've whined piteously about The Remains of the Day (book) containing 'crucial' on every third page - it was so distracting, that I read the last quarter of the book mentally totting them up. I think I got to it being used 25 times and lost the will to live. Same thing with Alexander McCall Smith (No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency et al) and Mma Ramotswe's 'little white van' - again, I found at least 25 references in what are brief and lightweight novels. This year, it seems to be 'random' or 'randomly' - misused, of course, most of the time: "This random woman just asked me the time".

I could thwceam and thwceam.

Oh, don't get me started, Red! "Off of" - as in "he has got off of RECITAL in favour of THE TATLING"; "I would of" instead of "I would have", "I implied that he meant" instead of "I inferred that he meant" and vice versa... aaieeee!

Heaven knows what a foreigner, having struggled for years to learn English in order to work in the UK, must think if even the natives cannot speak or write their own language properly.

I once had my English corrected by a charming young Indian doctor whose English would have been perfect over 100 years ago. At the start of the tape he apologised in case I had any difficulty understanding his accent but explained that he was working on it. There was no problem with his accent or diction, which was perfectly understandable despite a strong Bengali accent. However, as his dictation was a little archaic, I did a bit of mental re-writing as I typed, then sent his letters to him for signing.

The following day he arrived in my office bearing said letters, all of which had been corrected in beautiful handwriting - reading exactly as they had been dictated.

He then gave me a beaming smile, bowed to me and said, in his very broad accent: "You did very well. Thank you very much."

My boss, who refers to me as his Spellchecker, nearly fell of his chair laughing when he saw the "corrections". "That's you told, then!"

Shrieked at my copy of the Radio Times this week, spying 'with' misused instead of 'by' and 'to'. He was bored with reading about... no, he's bloody not. He's bored by something, as it's the condition of being bored which is intended, not being accompanied by it. Compared with... no, it isn't. It's compared to, different from.

Excusez-moi, I've got to get off of my chair as my kettle speaks to me of tea. Catch ya laters...

The latest one seems to be loose used instead of lose. It's cropping up everywhere, even in official documents.

I actually heard 'proudness' a day ago, on tv, from an (alleged) Englishman, along with 'strided' (instead of strode), and 'slided'. It's enough to make you loose your mind, Redhead...

'off of' gets my goat in a big way. It's horrendous and offensively bad English. It's creeping in more and more though but mainly through American (spit spit) authors. It's enough to stop me reading any more by an author who uses it.

Back