This could get messy!!

Cantoris

At the Start
Defiant O'Leary hits back over non-runner issue

IRELAND'S champion owner Michael O'Leary has revealed he is willing to take the Turf Club to court if it does not uphold his appeal against the non-runner penalty dished out by Fairyhouse stewards last week.

The Ryanair boss, who runs his horses under the Gigginstown House Stud banner, also vowed to continue his policy of making multiple declarations.

"You would swear we are some bunch of spivs running around organising betting coups," said O'Leary. "We don't punt our horses, I have no interest in that, this is my hobby and I want to make three things very clear: there's no Turf Club investigation; we've broken no rules; and we're appealing the decision of the Fairyhouse stewards and intend to have it overturned. If we don't get it overturned at the Turf Club we'll go to the High Court."

Last Wednesday the stewards at Fairyhouse ruled Devils Bride should be suspended for two days - precipitating a missed assignment at Thurles the following day - because the reason given for his withdrawal, that the ground had changed, was unacceptable as there had not been sufficient change in the official going, something O'Leary strongly rejects.

"The rule says that a change of going allows a horse to come out," he said. "It is clear from the horse's form that Devils Bride doesn't go on soft ground. It was given as yielding, yielding to soft in places and we declared him with the intention of running him if the ground didn't get any worse.

"There was no conspiracy. He'd have beaten [Gigginstown's] Ally Cascade on better ground. But the ground changed and Willie [Mullins, Devils Bride's trainer, who was fined €200] told us that in his opinion it was soft ground, the horse wouldn't go on it and would be better off going to Thurles on Thursday.

"The ground changed - twice in fact - because after the fourth race they were calling it soft all over. The earlier description clearly wasn't accurate because it was a dry day at Fairyhouse.

"There's either a change in the official going or there isn't. For some steward at Fairyhouse to say that there wasn't a sufficient change in the going is pure rubbish. Is there a rule or not? Or can these people make it up as they go along?"

The ground at Fairyhouse was amended to soft, yielding to soft in places, from yielding to soft, soft in places. Devils Bride ran in the Grade 2 ‘Monksfield' Novice Hurdle at Navan on Sunday on a good to yielding surface, but the 20-1 chance was pulled up.

The Fairyhouse decision came just over two weeks after stewards at Cork referred a jockey change in the Grade 3 novice chase to the Turf Club. On that occasion, the Gigginstown-owned Road To Riches was a non-runner, leading to a request that Davy Russell move to the Mouse Morris-trained Rogue Angel in the same ownership.

O'Leary also said “This is going to continue. I’m going to declare two or three horses for the big races on Sundays this season knowing that one or the other will not run because the ground will eventually not suit one of them,” he said. “Ground is the key factor and we’re being asked to declare on a Friday morning for big races on Sunday afternoons.”

They have been cleared of any wrongdoing over the withdrawal of Road to Riches and no doubt will do for Devils Bride.

I don't care who the owner is as long as it's a level playing field. I thought the ground change rule required two full movements in the description. So if ground is yielding, you can't pull out if it's yielding to soft but you can if it's soft. We all have to declare on Friday for a race on Sunday so Michael just has to get over that. He either has a point or he doesn't so the Turf Club should rule on that and not take into account who he is.

BTW, I wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of the Turf Club and if O'Leary goes to court with this, those around him will suffer in the long run.

O'Leary has a point...stewards are making it up as they go along and have been for years. I think it's good for the sport that someone is willing to shake up the silver spoon brigade running the thing.

I back this fella 110%

I would love us to get in 5-10 ex chiefs at companies like JP Morgan, HSBC, John Lewis, Virgin etc

Guarantee you we'd see a change in prize money, affordable racing, attractive products, innovation etc

Last edited:
Blue chip client like O' Leary who spends millions and is transparent in the way he campaigns his horses -do you really want to be picking a fight with him on this issue.I have no doubts he would walk away if pushed hard enough.

Blue chip client like O' Leary who spends millions and is transparent in the way he campaigns his horses -do you really want to be picking a fight with him on this issue.I have no doubts he would walk away if pushed hard enough.

You can't have one rule for O'Leary and another for the rest of us. If O'Leary gets his way, then change the rule so we can all pull our horses out. I have no problem with that, as long as it's across the board but just wait till the punters and the bookies complain then when there are mass non-runners at Sunday lunchtime. It won't matter in most of the races O'Leary has runners in but just wait till the low grade handicaps have mass non-runners.

BTW, I wouldn't like to get on the wrong side of the Turf Club and if O'Leary goes to court with this, those around him will suffer in the long run.

Regardless of the issue at hand, O'Leary and his company are bigger than Irish Racing. This is a hobby for him at the end of the day.

Regardless of the issue at hand, O'Leary and his company are bigger than Irish Racing. This is a hobby for him at the end of the day.

It's a hobby for all of us. Are you suggesting that we adopt the view that there are certain owners that are of systemic importance to the industry and therefore should not be touched? Coolmore, the Aga, Sheikh Mo and family, Qataris, O'Leary, JP, Ricci etc etc. In that case, the UK authorities were fairly stupid going after Al Zarooni. The Aga left the UK and racing there survived.

I'd say they went after Al Zarooni but didn't bother going after anyone else at the yard and saw fit to license the assistant trainer who seemingly as assistant didn't have a clue about the systematic doping policy in place at the stables at the time.

I think with Maz the BHA did as little as possible and got the whole matter wrapped up as quickly as possible - eight year ban for the trainer and no more investigating of anyone else.

Martin

I think it's bookmakers that are doing a lot of crying about the non runners from O'Leary. If his horses were 33/1 and 40/1 no one would care.

Last edited:
It's a hobby for all of us. Are you suggesting that we adopt the view that there are certain owners that are of systemic importance to the industry and therefore should not be touched? Coolmore, the Aga, Sheikh Mo and family, Qataris, O'Leary, JP, Ricci etc etc. In that case, the UK authorities were fairly stupid going after Al Zarooni. The Aga left the UK and racing there survived.

Re-read my post. I was suggesting nothing of the sort, my knowledge of the issue at hand is limited.

I was however disputing that somehow O'Leary or "those around him will suffer" if he takes the Turf Club on. He can easily pick up his toys and move them elsewhere (UK or France) in racing.

He could start re-opening racecourses in places like Charleroi, Treviso and Beauvais

Cantoris is right. It has to be consistent. His wealth has to be deemed irrelevant and fair play to the turf club for their stance

The thing that gets me is that it's one long teenage strop with this charmless prick. Is it worth it? No it clearly isnt. its like someone blowing their brains out becuase they got a parking ticket

He may be filthy rich but doesn't come across as someone at ease with himself

He may be filthy rich but doesn't come across as someone at ease with himself

I'd say he's totally at ease with himself Clivex. If you ever see him at the races, that is the impression he portrays. Rain jacket, jeans and a pair of runners at midweek meetings! He's got nothing to prove to anyone and he doesn't care what people think of him.

I was however disputing that somehow O'Leary or "those around him will suffer" if he takes the Turf Club on. He can easily pick up his toys and move them elsewhere (UK or France) in racing.

O'Leary can but if you are one of his trainers or jockeys, the Turf Club has lots of ways to make your life very difficult, in a very legitimate way. It's happened before and it will happen again. Unfortunately it will be trial by association.

I'd say he's totally at ease with himself Clivex. If you ever see him at the races, that is the impression he portrays. Rain jacket, jeans and a pair of runners at midweek meetings! He's got nothing to prove to anyone and he doesn't care what people think of him.

100% agree with Trefflich here -having seem him at a few low key meetings in Ireland I'd say he is at ease with himself.

Back