Tingle Creek

Originally posted by Relkeel@Dec 3 2007, 11:37 PM
I am told that at today's HWPA awards, Clive Smith said that he thought it was quite likely that Kauto will run.
If he did, it wasn't during his speech - he was too busy thanking Betfair, the sponsors!!!!

(before hastily realising they weren't the sponsors so he thanked them for paying him £1mill last year instead!!!)

I agree though about the change of tack - after the Old Roan Nicholls was blaming the trip, saying he "needed 3 miles nowadays" - so why the hell would he then take the opposite point if view and run him in the Tingle Creek?!

Some on here would have you believe that they are running scared of Denman over 3m and are looking to switch his campaign to the Champion Chase.

Well with the two best 2 mile chasers not lining up (or unlikely to in MWDS's) case, why not, :D he coudld win the Champion in a canter, and then take on Denman on the Friday (and lose - which he'd do anyway)

Was just thinking what a pity it is Nickname isn't running on Saturday..

Would love to have a good cut in the ground at Cheltenham if for no other reason than to see him in the Champion Chase.. would certainly add a bit of spice to the mix..

Originally posted by Aldaniti@Dec 3 2007, 01:41 PM
Hopefully I will be going on the Saturday & it will be my first "Proper" racecourse trip, nothing like throwing yourself in at the deep end :laughing:
Well use junction 10 and avoid Hampton Court (junction12) or you'll never get there!!! I seem to think they put some ice thing on and its a seriosu pain. Also consider paying the extra to park on the tarmac, if it rains the infield cuts up and Sandowns tractor has to pull you out.

I think I'll go myself though, as it's a favourite meeting of mine, and Sandown is one of my favouritist courses. Best viewing lines in racing? Market Rasen and Salisbury would close too

Originally posted by Aldaniti@Dec 3 2007, 01:41 PM
Hopefully I will be going on the Saturday & it will be my first "Proper" racecourse trip, nothing like throwing yourself in at the deep end :laughing:
Helen, you will love it. I would love to go to but new definite plans yet. As always, leave everything to the last minute.

Yes me too! I won't know until fri eve if I am going, mum is in hospital at the moment & its a bit up in the air

By the way Helen Sandown is a rare bird among racecourses in that there is really no point paying the extra to get a Day Members badge - the cheaper badge gets you anywhere really.

Was going to the ruk free day on Friday and poss also Sat, now have a horrible cold/chest infection so don't think I'll be going anywhere this weekend :(

Sad news today with more than a bit of irony.

Tom Jones, who masterminded the career of flamboyant chaser Tingle Creek before successfully switching codes to train on the Flat, has died aged 82.

He was admitted to a Bath hospital, where he died on Wednesday morning, three days before the Tingle Creek Chase, the Sandown race run in honour of Jones's best-known horse.

Jones, whose full name was Harry Thomson Jones, saddled 12 Cheltenham Festival winners in the 1960s and 1970s, and went on to win Classics in both Britain and Ireland in the 1970s and1980s.

Sad news that is;

Didn't his son train?

I remember him in the early 90s with some nice horses mainly fillies in 2yo listed races, trained for Sheikh Hamden if I'm not mistaken.

Originally posted by Relkeel@Dec 3 2007, 11:37 PM
I am told that at today's HWPA awards, Clive Smith said that he thought it was quite likely that Kauto will run.
He was asked at the HWPA do if KS would run and replied "We haven't talked about it yet".

Originally posted by chrisbeekracing@Dec 5 2007, 10:10 PM
Sad news that is;

Didn't his son train?

I remember him in the early 90s with some nice horses mainly fillies in 2yo listed races, trained for Sheikh Hamden if I'm not mistaken.
He was the trainer of the mighty Al Bahathri among many other good horses. Most of the family have ridden and trained ~ Tim, Di Haine and now Di's son George if I'm not getting mixed up.

Originally posted by rorydelargy+Dec 5 2007, 10:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rorydelargy @ Dec 5 2007, 10:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Relkeel@Dec 3 2007, 11:37 PM
He was asked at the HWPA do if KS would run and replied "We haven't talked about it yet". [/b][/quote]
As I said earlier, he said they'd talk about it but was more intent on thanking the erm, sponsors, Betfair!

No cow toe:

Ashley Brook
Demi Beau
Hoo La Baloo
Monet's Garden
Oneway
River City
Twist Magic
Voy Por Ustedes

Good decision. I would imagine VPU will be very tough to beat in ground he has proved to handle previously.

Get the impression if he's beaten in this and on soft ground pre-Cheltenham they won't be too disappointed given he's a good-ground horse so should peak for March/April time :)

Originally posted by Bar the Bull@Dec 6 2007, 12:43 PM
Does anybody know how highly Twist Magic is thought of at Nicholls in comparison to previous 2mile stars.

Far off Azerty / Kauto / Flagship / Cenkos / Le Roi, etc?
A good mate of mine who rides out and rides out for Paul and has done sometime, he/she will remain nameless.

He/She tells me Twist Magic is the fastest jumper he/she has ever ridden and he/she feels like he doesn't take off he jumps that fast. He/she used to ride out Zerty is his later years and said there very similar in the way they always feel they have more than they have underneath you.

He/she said he/she hasn't ever sat on Cenkos or Le Roi Miguel and said Cenkos was a bus who was a lazy fella at home.

He/she has rode Kauto road work but only 3 people sit on him at home.

He/she has rode Armaturk alot and said turk was not in the same league as this fella but I suppose thats blatantly obvious; he/she personally feels he has more potential than all bar Denman in the yard and said when its galloped with Silverburn, the later named doesn't have a prayer to lay up with him.

He/she said he was only 85% at Exeter and is in cracking order now, he/she feels he should be able to win this eyes closed and said Twist impressed Sam yesterday morning when he rode him out yesterday.

In fairness, I wouldn't expect Silverburn to be able to live with him if he was within a stone of Champion Chase standard. Does the comment about more potential that all bar Denman include Kauto Star? He has the potential to be quite good too.

Back