Top Irish trainer facing drugs charges

I know nothing about the doping so not going to pretend i do.

In terms of ‘stopping horses’ I thought that was quite commin, and it was up to you to be on the right one? The blind punter isn’t to know. But anyone who follows racing have half an idea.

You only have to look at the Pertemps qualifiers for horses being stopped. Or am i on the wrong line here? As n horses that should be trying are being told to stop by third parties?

Drinking a spoonful of bicarbonate in a glass of water before a run will prevent lactic build up...

Leave At Dawn

I can tell you categorically he was not stopped: the ground was not to his liking that day, and they went very fast. On top of that Bazza said the hood wound him up and he didn't settle that as he usually did. On top of that he lost a shoe and struck into himself.; the latter being so bad that he never ran again, despite the McManus team giving him plenty of time to come back , and were hopeful at one point that he would make it back. He didn't and was retired, someone in the yard took him home and he is having a very happy life. I was a witness to the conversation and the shoe loss/injury immediately after following him back up the horse walk and to the unsaddling enclosure, and the conversation between Bazza and trainer.

So not like the Foxrock incident where they took the shoes off after the race!!!

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk

I can tell you categorically he was not stopped: the ground was not to his liking that day, and they went very fast. On top of that Bazza said the hood wound him up and he didn't settle that as he usually did. On top of that he lost a shoe and struck into himself.; the latter being so bad that he never ran again, despite the McManus team giving him plenty of time to come back , and were hopeful at one point that he would make it back. He didn't and was retired, someone in the yard took him home and he is having a very happy life. I was a witness to the conversation and the shoe loss/injury immediately after following him back up the horse walk and to the unsaddling enclosure, and the conversation between Bazza and trainer.

Steady on now. Where have I said it was stopped? I'm answering the question of what horse David Walsh was referring to.

Last edited:
I was answering whoever thought LAD had not run his true race that day, I didn't quote anyone.

And completely pointless ( wait for the dig ) but gutted that race finished him, as he was very versatile and thought he was going to be the superstar out of the mare, which I admit having a totally selfish vested interest in the family breeding.

Last edited:
I was answering whoever thought LAD had not run his true race that day, I didn't quote anyone.

And completely pointless ( wait for the dig ) but gutted that race finished him, as he was very versatile and thought he was going to be the superstar out of the mare, which I admit having a totally selfish vested interest in the family breeding.

I can assure you David Walsh is inferring to Leave At Dawn in his article.

Last edited:
Would like to add the other side of the story. People can believe whatever they want:

Charles had 40k on, and his crew had lumped on and JPs crew felt their price was taken so in the parade ring Frank goes over and tells Charles not today.

I can assure you David Walsh is inferring to Leave At Dawn in his article.

Give me his contact details and I will tell him/repeat what was said that day and the physical evidence which was obvious. I have an email from Martinstown as well if he would like to see it.

It's asking me to subscribe to read the article so not doing that but I will send him a DM based on what has been said on here with the caveat that I have not read the article.

He doesn't allow DMs apparently. Will see if I can find email for him.

Sent my two-penneth worth- just had to get off my chest!

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is going to take someone seriously who writes in complaining about an article they haven't read.....

Sent from my SM-J415FN using Tapatalk

You guys have said more than enough- he doesn't know I haven't read it. I know what it says 'cos you have all said as much. Besides I was there and heard the great one speak, and trying desperately not to make a fool of myself being so close to the one with the FMEs. The friend I was with has known Bazza for years, since "he had no 'bottom' in his pants" as he said once, and could never understand the attraction :)

I would make him 2/5 to be successful in his appeal -he has been found guilty of leaving a horse unattended for 25 minutes-is it fair to deprive a man of his livelihood for 6 months because of that.

I would make him 2/5 to be successful in his appeal -he has been found guilty of leaving a horse unattended for 25 minutes-is it fair to deprive a man of his livelihood for 6 months because of that.

Nope. They proved nothing.

It's not the first time it has been announced, which perhaps explains the low key reception, but the HRI says it is introducing for 2021 a new regime of testing covering all thoroughbreds in Ireland, on both licenced and unlicenced premises (no, not that kind of licenced premises) and in and out training. There have been one or two false starts before with this initiative, but given the recent Byrnes case maybe those holding out against its introduction have finally crumbled:

https://www.hri.ie/content/press-of...ri-statement-on-drug-testing-in-irish-racing/

It's not the first time it has been announced, which perhaps explains the low key reception, but the HRI says it is introducing for 2021 a new regime of testing covering all thoroughbreds in Ireland, on both licenced and unlicenced premises (no, not that kind of licenced premises) and in and out training. There have been one or two false starts before with this initiative, but given the recent Byrnes case maybe those holding out against its introduction have finally crumbled:

https://www.hri.ie/content/press-of...ri-statement-on-drug-testing-in-irish-racing/

The momentum is there for change but we have heard all this before

Back