Totesport Bowl -Aintree

Guest_

At the Start
By PA Sport Staff

Cheltenham Gold Cup runner-up Denman features among 17 entries for the totesport Bowl at Aintree next Thursday.
Paul Nicholls' nine-year-old was found to be suffering from a fibrillating heart earlier in the season and made an inauspicious comeback at Kempton in February.
However, he bounced back to something like his best when chasing home stablemate Kauto Star in the blue riband event at Prestbury Park last time.
A trip to Merseyside is now firmly on the agenda.
Albertas Run and Exotic Dancer give Jonjo O'Neill a strong hand in the Grade Two contest, while last year's winner Our Vic and Madison Du Berlais are both possibles for David Pipe.
Brilliant Racing Post Chase scorer Nacarat is also engaged at this stage.
Notre Pere and Offshore Account could both make the journey from Ireland, while The Listener and Ryanair Chase winner Imperial Commander are other contenders in a fascinating contest.

Yeah Gearoid why? Right handed course and no Kaoto Star to contend with. Chances are he`ll get a nice bit of cut as well. I`ve found that laying willy nilly is a pointless punting strategy long term. A sly Each Way on the only animal (ED)within a stone of the Tank at his best is surely the only possible play here.

Not sure about lay lay lay, but are these the best conditions Exotic Dancer has of beating Denman? An easy three miles?

Agree Galileo - not sure about the nice bit of cut. Is there rain forecast this week ? ED loves cut too .

If it was Newbury Denman would be long odds on but Aintree??

Harry Findlay to ATR 25 03 09:
"Denman is very much on an upward curve. Paul Barber (co-owner) said to me just before the Gold Cup that he thought he was maybe only a couple of weeks short - his well-being and progression since the race have made us think that even more."

Paul Nicholls to ATR 25 03 09:
"Denman is going to go to Aintree next week - that is the plan. He's in good form and has come out of Cheltenham really well so I would say he is almost definite to run in the totesport Bowl. The ground in Auteuil was very worn and was firm in places and heavy in places, so it's not ideal to be running on that for championship races at this time of year."

By PA Sport Staff

Denman ... bounced back to something like his best ... quote]

They are joking, surely? Who writes this stuff?

Denman looked dreadful at Newbury and better than I thought he would at Cheltenham but only okay as opposed to very good or great.

I'm looking forward to watching Denman run here. I can see why some would feel the Mildmay course may not play to his strengths, and I agree that the likes of Newbury and Cheltenham suit him well.

But I've always thought the Mildmay course takes more jumping than is often said and I can just see him outjumping his rivals here, including Exotic Dancer.

Hope so, anyway.

He looked fine at Cheltenham and he was plainly pretty close to his best , this argument has of course been well ventilated on the Gold Cup thread.

The 'sharpness' of Aintree is overplayed, in the same way as Kempton. Three miles at Aintree is pretty much the same as three miles at Newbury, with two extra bends. You ought not to be using the course as a reason to get Denman beaten here, that will not be the reason, for if he is to be defeated then it is likely he would be beaten were the race over three miles at Newbury also. Big horses that simply gallop and jump can go out and do that at Aintree just as well as anywhere else, as Katharine points out. I would look to the opposition, ground and trip, rather than Aintree itself for dangers. If you think he would win it at Newbury then stick with him.

Right and proper decision imo. According to the RP report it was a joint decision of the owners who informed PN of their views.

I know the trainer has to run his horses because that's the business he's in. However, my main hope would be that Denman is still and really alright.
Frankly, as a real novice (me, not PN or Denman!), I think he should be put away ... I don't like the idea of his running at all. Where's the need?

Big hope my feelings are unfounded; they probably are.

Gorgeous weather up here at present - ground will be very much good tomorrow .

Interesting that rain is now forecast Friday night

Much more confident noises coming out of Ditcheat regarding Denman this time around, but the ground is going to be pretty lively for him. I don't feel confident any of the alternatives - Madison, Exotic or Star de M - can beat him.

So think on balance he will win, unless he bounces; and whatever ever others say, I was standing at the bottom of the horsewalk at Cheltenham when he came in after the GC with his head hanging, and he looked pretty done in to me. It's hard to know what that GC took out of him.

Watching brief for me. Vibes out of Ditcheat seem very positive and I fail to see any reason why Exotic Dancer should reverse all previous form with Denman.

Current market looks about right to me.

Do hope denman wins but i will just be watching, i still can not see why they have to run him if he was mine he would have a nice long rest until next season after running so well in gc.

They very nearly did put him away - and imo the reason they are running him is because he's shown such renewed enthusiasm on the gallops and spark in his box and in himself, has come in his coat, etc etc. I'm sure Sam will be aware that he is not to be 'bottomed' this season - or ever again!

Back