Trouble afoot for some of our forum members and watch your TTF's

This is sad and upsetting news for some of our members.

I hope that at least the horses can get back to the track soon while the rest of the mess is being dealt with.

That's a bit of a thunderbolt. Hopefully the members interests can be ring-fenced from the allegation against the promoters and the horses can start running and collecting quickly.

Shocking. And they've just nabbed 38k for Listen Dear at the Goffs sale. Not sure how she's been allowed to be consigned given the news.

The website was a bit less populated of late. Contact details were not readily available like previously

Will damage racing clubs if all is true

Hopefully our lot on here will all be sorted

I'm really sorry to hear this guys. I genuinely thought they had something good going on. I hope it all gets sorted out quickly for you.

Shocking. And they've just nabbed 38k for Listen Dear at the Goffs sale. Not sure how she's been allowed to be consigned given the news.

Without full knowledge/consent of syndicate owners! This is going to be interesting....

Last edited:
Thanks all. I’m not going to say much on a public forum, but am not unduly worried as know there are a few ex and current unhappy Supreme owners who have been stirring the pot. Hopefully Steve & Jim can sort it all out asap

Thanks all. I’m not going to say much on a public forum, but am not unduly worried as know there are a few ex and current unhappy Supreme owners who have been stirring the pot. Hopefully Steve & Jim can sort it all out asap

Don’t really understand it all to be honest, but hope you all manage to get it sorted out. Best of luck

I hope that this is an administrative problem or some other issue that can quickly be resolved. HRI should protect syndicate members and ensure that any resolution does not penalise syndicate members. Not allowing syndicate horses to run for any extended period would certainly penalise the members. The introduction of a pro temp administration ( preferably with input from the members) should be an option considered if possible.
Nothing can take away the thrill that many of the syndicated horses have given the members and every effort should be made to keep the horses running for the members.

For Perp/Archie et al. There was a discussion on the topic at the start of the Final Furlong podcast that dropped yesterday, ATR site. I thought that some of the narrative by the host presenter might be problematic legally later on as this unwinds - but then again, remember who he is and it doesn't surprise me. Might want to have a listen.

I hope that this is an administrative problem or some other issue that can quickly be resolved. HRI should protect syndicate members and ensure that any resolution does not penalise syndicate members. Not allowing syndicate horses to run for any extended period would certainly penalise the members. The introduction of a pro temp administration ( preferably with input from the members) should be an option considered if possible.
Nothing can take away the thrill that many of the syndicated horses have given the members and every effort should be made to keep the horses running for the members.
Thanks Double J and agree this is the key pont - the HRI (and Supreme) need to do all they can to get the horses running quickly no mattr the admin or legal wrangles

For Perp/Archie et al. There was a discussion on the topic at the start of the Final Furlong podcast that dropped yesterday, ATR site. I thought that some of the narrative by the host presenter might be problematic legally later on as this unwinds - but then again, remember who he is and it doesn't surprise me. Might want to have a listen.
Cheers and will listen on the train to Cheltenham this morning :)

Thanks for the supportive messages.

Willie sounded quite upbeat so hopefully it will be resolved soon.

Other than that, I'd echo Perp and basically only deal in fact rather than rumour.

Lets hope this is sorted quickly and some resolution can be found. There are glimmers to suggest the ban will be lifted soon.

I’m only a short while into the Supreme journey with 4 mares and the thrill that Suvretta gave me winning her Clonmel bumper is a feeling I hope to have many more times.

Lets hop the weekend brings some clarity to the matter and the horses can get back on track again soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WPM

Supreme Racing got very big," said Mullins. "I mean it's a very big operation for one person to manage. It just seems to be one man in charge and trying to operate the whole thing.
“I know he's had other complications away from racing, and that his wife was very sick during the year, so he possibly just needs a little bit of help sorting the whole thing out.
“There's a lot of paperwork involved and a lot to keep on top of. That all has to be resolved. There's a lot of paperwork that needs to be caught up on, that's my understanding on the whole thing.”
He added: “I'm paid up to date. I know a lot of the Supreme Racing people and they are a fantastic bunch – a keen bunch of owners. It has to be resolved quicker than how things are moving at the moment, but hopefully it will.
“The authorities have to do what they have to do but they are in contact with them all the time. A meeting took place last week and I understand some of the issues were resolved.
“There's another meeting scheduled for later this week which could be crucial and I'm hoping it will resolve a lot more issues if not all of them. It [the club] might be able to get back up and running. I'd be hoping for that.”

Chris Cook from The Guardian

The troubles facing the Supreme Horse Racing Club escalated over the weekend, when its recent sale of the classy hurdler Listen Dear became the subject of a formal dispute.
A letter of claim has been sent to the Goffs auction house, where Listen Dear was sold for £38,000 last month, asserting that owners of a majority stake in the mare did not consent to her sale.
<aside class="element element-rich-link element--thumbnail element-rich-link--upgraded" data-component="rich-link" data-link-name="rich-link-1 | 1"> The letter, addressed to Goffs chief executive, Henry Beeby, and seen by the Guardian, was sent by Paul Laidler, a former member of Supreme who has used social media to voice his concerns about the way the club has been run.

</aside> In it Laidler lists 13 people whose shares, he says, account for 61% of Listen Dear; he adds that none of them consented to her sale and that some were never told she was to be offered for sale.
“Listen Dear was not the property of the vendor to sell,” Laidler writes. “We consider the sale to be illegal … The police authorities in the UK and Ireland have been informed and we are in the process of instructing a solicitor.”
Beeby, currently attending an auction in Kentucky, said he could not comment. However, Goffs’ conditions of sale, published online, allow the firm to withhold payment to a vendor if a third party makes a claim in relation to any lot. In practice it is believed the firm would not seek to arbitrate over any such dispute but would simply sit on the money until the parties resolve the matter between themselves, through the courts or otherwise.
Supreme is currently unable to make any entries for its 29 horses, its account having been frozen by the Irish regulator, Horse Racing Ireland. HRI took that action a fortnight ago when those behind Supreme failed to answer its concerns over the club’s management.
There is still no indication as to when those horses may be free to run, including Kemboy, who remains the 13-2 favourite for the Cheltenham Gold Cup in March.
Willie Mullins, who trains the Supreme horses, suggested last week that its problems arose because the club had got too big for Massey to manage. “He possibly just needs a little bit of help sorting the whole thing out,” the trainer said. “There’s a lot of paperwork that needs to be caught up on, that’s my understanding on the whole thing.”
Steve Massey and Jim Balfry, who run Supreme, have not yet spoken in public about the dispute and did not take phone calls on Monday. The club’s voicemail service says it is full and can take no more messages.

More from Chris Cook

Racing’s ruling body is mulling over plans to tighten up its regulation of syndicates, a hot topic in the wake of the drama around the Irish-based Supreme Horse Racing Club, which is unable to run its horses.
The British Horseracing Authority says it is in the early stages of considering what action to take and will have to consult the industry before changes are made. But the ruling body believes some action will be justified to retain public confidence in syndication, which is expected to be a growth area in the sport.

“Getting involved in a syndicate is an affordable and fun way to enjoy racehorse ownership,” said a BHA spokesman. “Anybody that runs a syndicate must be registered with the BHA and they are also required to confirm their compliance with a code of conduct, which was introduced in 2017. Complaints are very rare and are usually quickly resolved.
“However, as syndication continues to grow, we plan to look at how this area is regulated. It is critical that the public retain trust in syndicates and have confidence that they are going to be well run. There could be various ways to achieve this, with one option being to enhance the level of assessment of prospective managers’ capability to run a syndicate, as part of the application process.”

There is already significant scrutiny in place for those who intend to manage syndicates, as they are required by the BHA to register as an owner in their own right, which brings with it ID and credit checks. The regulator’s licensing and integrity teams would review any such application, examining the person’s financial soundness and any unspent criminal or civil proceedings against them.

Horses owned by the Supreme Horse Racing Club, including the top‑class Kemboy, are unable to race as the regulator in Ireland seeks answers to questions about its management that have been raised by club members. The story has provided an incidental testament to the BHA’s rigour, as it emerged that those behind Supreme gave up on setting it up in England because “the BHA were making it hard for us”.

Ian Robinson, who runs syndicates under the Imperial Racing banner, believes there is scope for the ruling body to do more. “The BHA should have a registration system,” he said. “They should be saying to me, demonstrate to us that you run these partnerships correctly and we will give you our official seal of approval. They’ll argue they do a fit and proper person test. But that only goes to the individuals. It doesn’t give anyone a guarantee that this is going to be administered in a straightforward, transparent way.”

Back