TV coverage

There is no pleasing some people so why try and please them ?
Keep the message relatively simple and let the horses do the talking where possible.

Exactly. They should have never got rid of the nutter of Big Mac, as he attracted viewers.

But in light of David Redvers comments last week, I sense there is a witch hunt against the racing on channel 4 now.

I don't see the problem from a TV point of view. It means you can get more people watching (ie football fans after the games) therefore more people in shops putting a punt on. Its light until 8pm at that time of year.
I do understand people attending it not being happy though. The event is packed with drunken tits and more beer time prior to the off cannot be a good thing.

Moving the start time by an hour is nothing to get in a tizz over imo.

Doesn't help if you have a long journey home for a start, but moving an hour will make no difference to who is watching it. It will clash with Final Score for a start but if they don't improve their coverage makes no difference what time of the day they put it on.

Last edited:
Moving the start time by an hour is nothing to get in a tizz over imo.

Moving it back to 4.15 was as far as you would want it to go. What was the latest time when the BBC had it? It's because C4 is a minority channel trying to stage the biggest event in the sport and increase its viewing public at the same time.

Form a personal point of view, a later start is a serious inconvenience. We have a huge family party on the day of the race and the timing of the race impacts upon when when we get people to arrive, have dinner and family games and other carry-ons afterwards.

If the race doesn't finish till 5.30 you've then got the replay(s), laps of honour, post-mortems, etc, and then think about serving dinner. By now it's maybe 7pm and dinner takes a couple of hours. How do you then fit in the games, sing-songs, quizzes, etc when you've got kids who are collapsing with exhaustion about 9pm (ie just a few minutes after me).

This idea is a pile of sh1te.

Last edited:
Can't remember how many years ago but not that many there was a similar rumour, I rang Aintree and they said absolutely no way would they be moving the time of the race, but that may have been in BBC days.

Surely, a Derby at 6.30 with a One Direction reunion concert at 8.30 is a Jockey Club wet dream.

They're 'taking a break' from April next year so would have to be Derby 2017 if they come back after their year off. Mind you if the JC were quick, they could get in first as they have a clear diary. ( I only know because my 6 year old great niece is devastated
:( )
Quo would probably be available? Madness, they like any excuse to get pissed.

Last edited:
They haven't changed the date of Christmas, merely the start time of a race. The one question I'd want answered is about the low sun; after the Canal Turn they're heading north west until the turn into the finishing straight.

Last edited:
I want to know that too Grey, but I'm sure you'll agree that the real burning question here is why Jools Holland or a Robbie Tribute haven't been mentioned for the after racing gig.

Does anyone think it will actually improve ratings?

as I said earlier what they will get is all the people that are at other events....football etc. I honestly think it would make a big difference. in fact prob 1m +

No chance of getting back for 5:15 after a football match at any ground I've ever been to Digger, unless you live right next door to the stadium.

I'm sure the BBC will be happy though as they'll get more people listening to it on a radio in their car.

They will be in the boozers...bookies etc. I can normally get back for 5:15 after a game at the sold out Easter Road on a Saturday! ;-) I just see it as a positive....its a unique race that most people would watch.

Nobody who doesn't set time aside to watch it at its usual Off time, is going to bother their rear-ends watching it at the new time - other than by accident.

More randoms might end-up watching it in boozers, but it will be with little more than a passing interest. It will not draw more people to the sport, and its impact on the Levy will be next to nil. It might, however, help that little Meerkat wa*nker score a few more quid on sales commission, and C4 a few more quid on advertising revenue.

There is nothing in this for 'Racing' whatsoever........other than the BHA's fanciful notion that the simple act of some randoms accidentally catching it on TV, will result in them suddenly taking an interest in the sport.

It's a load of oud sh*ite.

Last edited:
Nobody who doesn't set time aside to watch it at it's usual Off time, is going to bother their rear-ends watching it at the new time - other than by accident.

More randoms might end-up watching it in boozers, but it will be with little more than a passing interest. It will not draw more people to the sport, and its impact on the Levy will be next to nil. It might, however, help that little Meerkat wa*nker score a few more quid on sales commission, and C4 a few more quid on advertising revenue.

There is nothing in this for 'Racing' whatsoever........other than the BHA's fanciful notion that the simple act of some randoms accidentally catching it on TV, will result in them suddenly taking an interest in the sport.

It's a load of oud sh*ite.

Quite.

Nevison stood in the betting ring on RUK is utterley pointless and about 10 years too late. Meanwhile I think Tony Calvin is okay, unlike Nevison he understands betting markets and makes a useful contribution.

I like Tanya but it's time to get rid of her.

This morning she has renamed Sempre Medici 'Sompre Medici', Mozoltov 'Mozlotov' and Identity Thief 'Identity Chief'.

All in the space of a three-minute interview.

Last edited:
Back