TV coverage

Humoured me that Nicky said that Paul and Willie were 'both Good mate's on RUK yesterday.

Whatever about with Willie. Doubt there is much affection to Nicholls

Each to their own but I can't possibly see how anyone could think ATR is superior to RUK. The latter has better presenters, more analysis, proper replays (and replay programmes in the evening instead of US dross).

I like Chapman though - he'd be a good choice to fulfil the McCrirrick-style loudmouth buffoon role in the new coverage. He's much more knowledgeable than people give him credit for (probably because he likes playing the idiot).

To be honest now RUK is HD I couldn't give a fcuk who they choose as I'll rarely be watching.

Each to their own indeed. Chapman and Sean Boyce would be a great combo on itv with matts witty ripostes and Seans more measured tones. Sorry but I just can't take to racing uk I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Not bothered who the lead presenter is. More interested in who does the analysis and interviews. I only watch the races and interviews and fast forward the rest as it's mince on c4.

Tanya can't possibly make the move-she brings nothing to Ch4 -essentially she waffles away with various tips which isn't her job-she is there to analyse the market.
I think Chapman is excellent -he might not be everyone's cup of tea but he knows his stuff.
If Jeremy Kyle helped to make the sport more popular and relevant I wouldn't be against him.
This is the last chance saloon for racing on terrestrial tv -if this doesn't work its Sky or maybe worse.

I'd give Chapman a chance, too. He'd need to rein in his more idiotic tendencies but there's a decent broadcaster in there and playing safe hasn't assisted C4's coverage. He'd bring a bit of colour and he's prepared to be confrontational when it's necessary.

Classic from Ted Walsh-talking about the resurgence of Bushranger as a stallion -two years ago if you said you had a Bushranger people kept away from you like you had AIDS.

You have to hand it to RTE -they showed coverage of Galileo Gold walking around with a length of hosepipe between his legs.

Last edited:
John Joe Walsh has two interesting 3 yr old Bushranger fillies; a half sister to Longfield Lad and our (ahem ! ) Filly.
Mainly fillies making the grade this year has us dreaming; hence we have submitted Tjukurrpa as first choice name; Aboriginal word meaning "the dreamtime "

Yes official announcement a couple of days ago, as I understand it the rest of the team are due to be announced after the Euros

Lee Mottershead in RP

CHANNEL 4 Racing's last goodbye could be made sooner than previously expected after it emerged the broadcaster is seeking to extricate itself from a contractual commitment to bow out at Newbury on December 31, one day before ITV takes over as the sport's new home at Cheltenham.

The prospect of the first Saturday in years without a scheduled racing programme on mainstream television looks real with Channel 4 understood to want three decades of continuous racing coverage to end at Kempton and Chepstow on December 27.
Both Newbury and Racecourse Media Group (RMG), which leads TV negotiations on behalf of tracks, are involved in ongoing discussions with Channel 4.
RMG and Newbury point to Channel 4 having previously agreed to present a double-header programme on December 31.

Channel 4, however, is keen go out with more of a bang. That would likely be easier if final farewells are made at Kempton, which will be hosting the second afternoon of the William Hill Christmas festival, and Chepstow, whose Coral Welsh Grand National fixture would, ironically, have ended the BBC's even longer association with racing in 2012 had it not been abandoned.
RMG's director of racing Ed Gretton said: "Channel 4 are scheduled to cover Newbury on Saturday December 31 as their last racing programme and we anticipate that this remains that the case."
A Channel 4 spokesperson said: "We are still in discussions with RMG about our closing stages."

Surely they could put the boat out on Dec 31 with a Morning Line to end all Morning Lines followed by a Greatest bits from 30 years in the afternoon between races.
With this attitude they deserve to lose all Broadcasting rights from tomorrow.

Back