TV coverage

Surely VP will be on her bike...someone mentioned that at least she's good on the eye; wrapped up for arctic condition's back to the camera and just about the worst interviewer imaginable. Absolutely no scope to boot.

Agree about Fitz. He just fills silences with utter waffle. Just talking about Ruby choosing between VVM and Limini - 'You just have to choose which has got the best festival form' Please finish that thought Mick........

Good job he's got such a soft lilting accent :blink:

What a bunch of moaners you lot are :p

Has the racing been of excellent quality? Yes
Have we been able to adequately see the action and have the races been called correctly? Yes

Ed Chamberlain can be a bit schmoozy but its clear hes a racing fan and is extremely pleased to be here.

I think the coverage is just fine :)

they flashed the result of the champion with sceau royal 2nd, the trainers table had Hendo with 2 wins & a 3rd, now im no expert, far from it , but doesnt he train MTOY ?
Nowhere near as slick as C4, & thats saying something.

they flashed the result of the champion with sceau royal 2nd, the trainers table had Hendo with 2 wins & a 3rd, now im no expert, far from it , but doesnt he train MTOY ?

I saw that. It's clunky at best.

Someone better than Fitz would get more from AP, who is knowledgable and eager obviously.
Richard Hoiles telling the plebs (under instruction I presume) that an open ditch has a wide expanse of space before the fence.
It's not clever enough for racing experts or entertaining enough for casual viewers.
By a long way, the best part was the JT McNamara tribute which was better than the standard Alastair Down nostalgic piece.
JP's memory of his festival winners was impressive. Sadly no access to RUK this week.

I think this wasn't ITVs fault as it went up on course as Sceaux Royale being second on the big screens and took a while to be amended.

Yes, sporting life and other outlets made the same mistake.

I think its the constant cutting across each other throughout each poorly constructed sentence that gets on my nerves. I'll stop now though.

Generally I think ITV are doing an okay job this week - Ed Chamberlin is a decent anchor, AP isn't afraid to give his opinion, I've always rated Richard Hoiles as a commentator and even Matt Chapman isn't as annoying as I feared he would be. I've enjoyed hearing about the various bookies' liabilities and he's 100% better than Tanya ever was. Alice is harmless though she never asks the most penetrating questions but she's reliable and sympathetic at the human interest stuff. They seem to have cameras in a few different places that we never saw with C4 and I think the paddock setting works much better than C4's studio - it feels more immediate and intimate with the horses in view behind them.

Mick Fitz is the weak link for me. I groaned when I heard he was moving across because, great jockey and nice bloke though he is, he is a useless presenter. He only ever tips short-priced favourites or whatever Nicky Henderson trains and he never, ever, answers the question he's been asked by a colleague, but invariably meanders off into his collection of cliches..."Number 8 is getting quite warm in the paddock, Mick, do you think that's significant?" "Ah, look, the main thing is, you have to be able to jump round here...this hoss is a magnificent beast ridden by one of the hardest working jockeys in the weighing room...". Yeah that's great thanks Mick, but what about the sweating??

Last edited:
Meant to add, Victoria Pendleton is completely unnecessary too, her only saving grace is that she's not on as often as Fitzy. Yesterday she was incapable of remembering the first rule of Interviewing 101 - ask your interviewee one question at a time, not three in one convoluted sentence.

Oh I don't know, she's harmless enough and she's definitely better today than she was yesterday. She'll be ok I think - they are using her for the right kind of thing imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I loved Mick Fitz's insight yesterday..."He's been aimed at this race all season". Well...no **** Sherlock.

I loved Mick Fitz's insight yesterday..."He's been aimed at this race all season". Well...no **** Sherlock.

I rolled my eyes at that too, not just because of the banality of what he said but he said it in a tone of voice as if he'd just uncovered some great unique angle and was letting us all into a secret.

Chapman really annoyed me when he bounced on to ATR and I never thought I'd ever enjoy him getting involved with the mainstream TV coverage but I have to say...I actually like him and I think he's a breath of fresh air. He seems to have toned it down a touch and he can be pretty amusing at times.

I'm 100% certain not everyone will agree with this though :)

Back