TV coverage

What does ITV usually show on Saturday afternoons?

You've been framed?

Wonder will they go with a general tv host like Gabriel Clarke or Adrian childes?

Will be unusual without CH4

Formula 1 was the death bell

What does ITV usually show on Saturday afternoons?

You've been framed?

Wonder will they go with a general tv host like Gabriel Clarke or Adrian childes?

Will be unusual without CH4

Formula 1 was the death bell

looks like itv1 only going to get the big days. national/derby/cheltenham/royal ascot. everything else shunted to itv4.

looks like itv1 only going to get the big days. national/derby/cheltenham/royal ascot. everything else shunted to itv4.

That is the worrying part of this. The sport isn't going to reach more people stuck on ITV4 is it!

McCoy will stay,Gina will stay,Jim McGrath will go,Mickey Fitz will go.
Matt Chapman is the elephant in the room.

oh yes,,great news,,get Chappers on with him too...i was all for Tania being removed but since then i've started enjoying her mispronunciations.

this could be a great move after all

Chappers absolutely. Best around for me. Though as long as he's not lost on ATR completely.

That is the worrying part of this. The sport isn't going to reach more people stuck on ITV4 is it!

It's dying on its feet, and I don't really see that altering a few talking heads is going to change that

The sport really needs to talk to people like me who they've lost. I used to watch every Saturday and occasional Sunday. Probably placed about 15 bets a week, and would go racing once every 3 weeks, as well as clog up cyberspace with my crazy ideas. Today I don't bother, and you know what, I don't miss it

This has to be great news, it's a pity we've got to wait a year for it to happen.

ITV will be able to start off with a clean sheet regarding both the style of its coverage as well as what presenters to have (I expect all of the current crew to be jettisoned).

The plan to showcase the very best 25 days or so on the main ITV channel will be good for racing and for ITV. It will give more of a sense of occasion and importance to the focal events of the season, and that should help to attract more people to the sport, something urgently needed, as well as pleasing advertisers.

ITV usually aims for the lowest common denominator so Chapman would fit that mould, as would McCririck. Add Jeremy Kyle and you've got the unholy trinity. Maybe they'll have Michael Owen as a co-commentator just to make absolutely sure no-one watches!

There seems to be an inverse relationship (in 2015 at least) between the growth in total and average attendance and the Channel 4 viewing figures. While not attracting a broader (and younger) audience is a concern, given the fact that up to 60% of the fixtures on CH4 currently will move to ITV surely a bigger concern is the diminution in sponsorship and the consequential financial impact as well as a significant reduction in the profile of the sport. Press coverage of racing is reducing consistently and even the digital presence is diminishing. Hopefully this is not the 'thin end of the wedge' and that 37 days on ITV is better than 90 on CH4 but it is very worrying. I hope it does not become like the US where the only racing shown on terrestrial channels is the Triple Crown races (even the Breeders Cup has been moved to a cable channel in the last few years) and the reputation of racing is one of a 'sleazy' pastime inhabited by questionable characters. I take comfort that attendances are rising but there is no room for complacency and, let's be honest, it's difficult to have much confidence in the people running racing.

In terms of how the programming will look and who the presenters will be, it is much too early to tell. It must be time for a radical overhaul of how racing is presented (and the presenters). If you look at how American sport is televised (and, for that matter, F1 and Rugby in the UK) then the most successful format is to have a professional presenter (knowledgeable, passionate but an outsider) coupled with several ex players/participants who add the 'colour' commentary.

ITV usually aims for the lowest common denominator so Chapman would fit that mould, as would McCririck. Add Jeremy Kyle and you've got the unholy trinity. Maybe they'll have Michael Owen as a co-commentator just to make absolutely sure no-one watches!

i think you will find that people who don't want Chappers and Mac are actually in the minority. To be fair that group of people have had their way in the past few years and look at where its gone..everyone bored with it..don't watch it etc.

at the end of the day..you have a choice..the current situation..and lets be honest..you could bring another load of presenters like we have now in..and it would still be the same...or a little more colourful

They want to seriously consider Ken Piterson for a start..its time we actually used the time before races start to actually look at horses involved..he's brilliant at what he does..anyone who listens to WHradio knows that. I'd also be looking at WHradio for other people...that group of guys/gals have a great relationship with each other..good knowledge..banter etc..its a perfect model for what they should be aimimg for on TV. All those guys joke that they have radio faces..but some of those on tv racing would be great. They are the best around for analysis that i've heard.

I'd have Lord Snooty/Matt Chapman presenting... with Andy Holding, Rory doing analysis...i wouldn't bother with a betting guru..so Mac isn't really necessary..though he would liven it up...you don't need one..just have the guys show something like oddschecker on screen and discuss shorteners drifters etc

Last edited:
i think you will find that people who don't want Chappers and Mac are actually in the minority. To be fair that group of people have had their way in the past few years and look at where its gone..everyone bored with it..don't watch it etc.

at the end of the day..you have a choice..the current situation..and lets be honest..you could bring another load of presenters like we have now in..and it would still be the same...or a little more colourful

They want to seriously consider Ken Piterson for a start..its time we actually used the time before races start to actually look at horses involved..he's brilliant at what he does..anyone who listens to WHradio knows that. I'd also be looking at WHradio for other people...that group of guys/gals have a great relationship with each other..good knowledge..banter etc..its a perfect model for what they should be aimimg for on TV. All those guys joke that they have radio faces..but some of those on tv racing would be great. They are the best around for analysis that i've heard.

I'd have Lord Snooty/Matt Chapman presenting... with Andy Holding, Rory doing analysis...i wouldn't bother with a betting guru..so Mac isn't really necessary..though he would liven it up...you don't need one..just have the guys show something like oddschecker on screen and discuss shorteners drifters etc

Like it. People who actually want to watch racing want to hear about the form and condition of horses. I know of not one single person who would tune in for a fashion discussion or interviews with bookmaker reps. Ive no idea why Ch4 have found this so difficult.

the ignoring of paddock inspection has been a real thorn for me Digger..its nonsensical having horse racing without even looking at the horses. The fashion and bookies reps really is not what is required..i doubt any of us..no matter who we want on there don't want bookies reps or gok bloody wan on it

ITV have a real opportunity here..i just hope they do their homework and find out what people do want

I think chappers, as he is called, would be a major turn off for some. The way he Slowly and LOUDLY Telegraphs his "jokes" reminds you of the office bore that thinks he's a comedian but is as amusing as cancer. He is a tosser although I will grant that he knows his stuff and can ask a question but who wants to hear a supposedly grown (short arse) man shouting BOOM every five minutes. What's the matter with him?

Does he do that with his wife (poor cow) when he shoots his load?

im not bothered about presemters because I take little notice but on screen Tanya has as much personality as A bollard. pity because a mate says she's lovely off screen

Last edited:
I think chappers, as he is called, would be a major turn off for some. The way he Slowly and LOUDLY Telegraphs his "jokes" reminds you of the office bore that thinks he's a comedian but is as amusing as cancer. He is a tosser although I will grant that he knows his stuff and can ask a question but who wants to hear a supposedly grown (short arse) man shouting BOOM every five minutes. What's the matter with him?

Does he do that with his wife (poor cow) when he shoots his load?

im not bothered about presemters because I take little notice but on screen Tanya has as much personality as A bollard. pity because a mate says she's lovely off screen

If they get the right presenter they have no need for all the talking heads. Anyone can read numbers off an iPad. But an in-depth form discussion pre race, and a review of horses in paddock is really all thats required. (Oh and HD pictures)

Back