TV coverage

Mick Fitz on the recording of the first at Ascot: "...won by Ryan Moore, who has been a bit quiet of late".

He's been out injured, you utter twonk. Tends to keep jockeys "quiet" on the track.

Sums him up as a presenter.

pretty certain now that Nick Luck will not be involved with Itv

Also AP saying he is "unlikely" also

Matt Chapman has had a 2nd interview.....

Mick Fitz on the recording of the first at Ascot: "...won by Ryan Moore, who has been a bit quiet of late".

He's been out injured, you utter twonk. Tends to keep jockeys "quiet" on the track.

That was indeed a moment of rare insight. No wonder ITV were so keen to sign him up [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beggars belief that ITV have taken Fitzgerald on though Tarnya and the dreadful Tom Lee have been given the push .

Hopefully Tanya will fade away-she is shocking after the best part of 15 years in the job.I don't think she actually understands her job-it is to report on betting moves and not to be giving tips.

I'll settle for someone getting the presenters to pronounce horses' names correctly.

Yesterday I think we had three different versions of Suedois. Did NONE of them ever do First Year French????

(Tanya was in fact the only one to get it right... a rare feat for her considering her pathetic attempts at anything that doesn't appear English.)

Last edited:
I'm very disappointed in the lack of Arc coverage as I don't have ATR or RUK. We went to the Arc a while back. Free shuttle buses to the track, entrance fee was next to nothing and included a free racecard. Is it any wonder that racing is losing it's popularity when less and less of it is shown on terrestrial tv. I would subscribe to a racing channel if there was just one but I can't afford two.

I'm very disappointed in the lack of Arc coverage as I don't have ATR or RUK. We went to the Arc a while back. Free shuttle buses to the track, entrance fee was next to nothing and included a free racecard. Is it any wonder that racing is losing it's popularity when less and less of it is shown on terrestrial tv. I would subscribe to a racing channel if there was just one but I can't afford two.

So many issues to discuss in there...

Anyway, I'm thinking it's about time I went to the Arc again. I promised I would go once I'd retired but that was five years ago now. I think trying (and failing) to organise accommodation and travel for the Open Meeting for the last few years has just pissed me off. (Apart from the domestic constraints preventing my going.)

Still, if you have online accounts or live near a bookie's, you should be able to see the race that way.

Alternatively if you google 'free live stream ruk' (or atr) you should be able to catch a stream of the race.

I think I've managed to catch all bar one of the football matches I've wanted to see for long enough.

Then again, I keep hearing about these magic boxes that allow you to pick up all these sports channels. I know of people for whom they work no problem but my brother-in-law got his mother (who lives with us) one for Christmas and I can't get it to pick up anything live. It seems ok for box sets of crap but that's about it yet my mate says he watches all the sports channels via his.

I'll go to the bookies; since I've had my Coral account they don't see me so they're probably wondering where I am these days! I've just priced up a trip to the St Leger as we've never been to Doncaster but was appalled at how expensive it is. I think the Arc was @ 2 euros [free if I was wearing a hat]! I do want to do Auteil one day.

if they ever bring back the TV series "Arthur C Clarke's Mysteries"..i'm pretty sure they could have an epsiode dedicated to Mick's media career

I'll go to the bookies; since I've had my Coral account they don't see me so they're probably wondering where I am these days! I've just priced up a trip to the St Leger as we've never been to Doncaster but was appalled at how expensive it is. I think the Arc was @ 2 euros [free if I was wearing a hat]! I do want to do Auteil one day.

It's 40 years since I was at Auteuil. It's probably changed a lot since I was there. Like the other French courses I've been to, I remember it being very nicely manicured (but not even Longhamp could touch Le Bouscat (Bordeaux) for prettiness).

I'm thinking for me it might be cheaper to do what the Irish & Welsh rugby fans do. The last time I was in Benidorm when the 6-Nations was on the place was stowed with both sets of fans, so much so I asked (since I don't follow rugby) if they were playing somewhere around there that weekend. Both sets of fans said the same thing: it was cheaper to take the weekend in Benidorm and get blitzed watching the game on the big screens in the sports bars.

John Hunt won't be part of the new set up - He's accepted a new contract with R5live on the back of his excellent swimming commentary at the olympics.
Smart decision imo, Hunt is absolutely peerless when it comes to racing commentary on the radio but he has had to tone his style down a bit when covering tv races on the satellite channels which didn't suit him at all.

Chappers will end up owning the coverage if he gets a start. I know he is a bit Marmite, but I like him, and he will do a much better job of pulling in new viewers, than any of the rest of the tired and crappy mob they have hired.

I'm still not convinced at all about Chamberlain myself.

Chappers will end up owning the coverage if he gets a start. I know he is a bit Marmite, but I like him, and he will do a much better job of pulling in new viewers, than any of the rest of the tired and crappy mob they have hired.

I agree. He has a bit of life, is capable of spontaneously responding to something that is happening.

Doesn't tend to let people arse their way out of questions also

I've warmed to Chapman a fair bit since he's toned down the worst excesses of his Yeeehaaaa! sh!te. Towcester used to be my local track and he often did some decent paddock interviews in between races. I think he now brings a bit of much-needed colour to an otherwise fairly grey line up.

So ITV won't show a single day of racing on the main channel between New Years Day and the Tuesday of the Cheltenham festival.

I couldn't give a toss personally but that must be a highly inauspicious start.

Are you suggesting they have bought the rights to racing to give it a good burial, Lee?:)

Last edited:
Back