TV coverage

I'd nothing at all against Holt and would have been quite happy to see him continue. The appointment of Hoiles is fine by me, however, but he would do well to avoid the slight tendency he has towards preachiness.

I'd nothing at all against Holt and would have been quite happy to see him continue. The appointment of Hoiles is fine by me, however, but he would do well to avoid the slight tendency he has towards preachiness.

Hoiles is one of the very best, but I'm very very sad that Holt won't be the lead commentator. He's peerless and for me, the best since Po'S, in fact I think he's even better.

From PJA's latest newsletter

ITV Dress Rehearsal at Cheltenham
The PJA met with the production team of ITV Racing who confirmed that a full dress rehearsal “broadcast” will take place at Cheltenham on Friday 21[SUP]st[/SUP] October 2016. Even though that day’s racing is only being broadcast on Racing UK, the full ITV Team will be there as if it was a live broadcast and will therefore have the full level of access as if it were the Festival (changing room access, Stewards Enquiries, jockey interviews etc).
Additionally the ITV team will be looking to undertake some “green-screen” filming of jockeys across both days of the Showcase Meeting. This is being organised and administered with ITV by Great British Racing.
Your co-operation on the day of the dress-rehearsal and feedback from it will be welcomed by the ITV team.

ITV_zpstjge4yzb.jpg

They give me the impression that they are somewhat under the influence of alcohol when they do "Get In", haven't seen their morning programme.

Lou Carvey comes across as a naughty schoolboy having fun with his mate. Too ill-disciplined for my liking.

Mad-cappery has its place........but I'd really rather prefer, if it wasn't in evidence on this new show.

What is the problem with Racing production companies?

They jotter a load of clubby, nudge-wink tossers and various other delinquents, from their studio/track teams (good), but then replace them with Keystone Cops from the other end of the scale (bad). And from what I can gather of the planned coverage, the programming content is going to be on largely the same lines as it has been for 20+ years. They are merely re-decorating the back-bedroom, when they should be re-modelling the entire house.

This is a golden opportunity to re-vamp not only the style and content of coverage, but also to get some new, interesting, enthusiastic, blood, into their presentation team. Harvey & Weaver don't immediately spring to mind, when I think about qualifiers........unless it was a racing slot on CITV, they were slated for.

I fear the worst.

Last edited:
When looking for, in terrestrial terms anyway, new,interesting and enthusiastic blood as you say for the team then recruiting Ed Chamberlain,Matt Chspman, Oli Bell and Weaver and Harvey plus Francesca Cumani for the summertime then I think recruitment has gone well. It remains to be seen how the programme is set out and which way they go about it but in my opinion they've given themselves a good chance.

Bell, Weaver and Harvey are 100% 'Racing Establishment', fonz, as is Cumani (who I'd obviously rather watch via a mist-free, shower-room window, than a Racing show).

I have a wait-and-see attitude about Chamberlain, and Chappers has always been an outsider, and I'm prepared to give both the benefit of the doubt.

To be fair, if the content isn't changing radically, then the presenters are possibly doomed to go the same way. If you want conservative, sober, coverage.....with a few yucks thrown-in now and then - then this might be an optimised line-up.

Since ITV were announced, the focus has largely been on who will present, rather than what is being presented, which is the wrong balance, in my view.

The opportunity for some fresh and innovative content is being missed, and with it, the chance to bring in people who genuinely do understand form, how betting-markets operate, how to correctly interpret Exchange moves etc, and who would hopefully deliver it in an open and engaging way i.e. the polar opposite of the jesters, dry-sticks and abject guessers that have been used for the last 20-odd years.

I'm not convinced the proposed team is a big enough difference from the last lot, to make a big enough difference.

Last edited:
Very pleased they have luke and Jason on board. They have a laugh but give good insight especially Jason with his riding knowledge.

looks straightforward to me

Presenters (Alternating)
Matt Chapman
Lord Snooty

Analysis(Mix + Match)

Rory De Largy (form generally)
Andy Holding (Time analysis)
Andrew Mount (Stats analysis)
Seb Sanders (Jock perspective)

Paddock

Ken Pitterson

they are the best i know about in the last 2 years..all the rest mentioned here come a poor second to any of these imo..not close either

Last edited:
Please, not Luke Harvey.

I remember him on radio 5, doing the 2 minute slots just before the news. He was embarrassingly bad - ill-prepared, giggling and amateurish.

Weaver is a little better, but not much. A previous comment about them being a pair of tits is about right.

Why are racing broadcasters so terrible? You don't get all this with cricket.

When looking for, in terrestrial terms anyway, new,interesting and enthusiastic blood as you say for the team then recruiting Ed Chamberlain,Matt Chspman, Oli Bell and Weaver and Harvey plus Francesca Cumani for the summertime then I think recruitment has gone well. It remains to be seen how the programme is set out and which way they go about it but in my opinion they've given themselves a good chance.

Will they do a Racing Monday show like Sky with the football....get a manc and a scouse arguing about horse tactics....thats the winner.

Back