UK election

Ken Clarke, can't be whipped into voting for them and says he won't be. Nothing you can threaten him with really.

Heidi Allen has voted against them previously on Brexit issues and has been notably critical and vocal since the result

Others who've voted against (and in favour) include Bob Neill, Claire Perry, Anna Soubry, and Antoinette Sandbach

Nicky Morgan also needs to stand up instead of making excuses having allowed herself to be bullied in the past

The problem as I see it is that Cruella de Vil spent 7 years at the Home Office trying to defend her failure to meet immigration targets every quarter. Inevitably she began to frame Brexit through the prism of immigration and this became her all consuming priority. This has had the effect of divorcing what many people regard as the bigger picture, namely the economy, from her thinking, which has started to become obsessive now as she bunkers down. Being a politician she inevitably starts to look for someone, or something else to blame for this. Like any politician they begin their descent towards failure when they start believing their own propaganda. She's no different

I suspect we'll see the UK ultimately adopt a Norway style EEA membership, allowing them to keep a foot in both camps. It leaves them open to allegations of having achieved nothing of course and will also involve continued payments to the European budget. The simple fact however is the UK were always going to have to make these payments for the duration of the current round until 2021, so the continued payments needn't make any material difference.

IIRC, you can withdraw from the EEA on 12 months notice, with nothing like the chains attached to it. In this regard Brexit becomes a two step process.

It's true that EEA membership still protects the freedom of movement, but this is ultimately a function of how you enforce borders. You can send out quite powerful signals that people aren't welcome (Brexit has already done that) and you can still refuse entry on trumped up allegations and security fears (as they're doing in America at the moment). Sure the commission can investigate complaints, and the UK can protest, obstruct, and appeal. No one has ever accused the commission of alacrity though, so this won't be resolved very quickly. I thought they were having issues with both Switzerland and Norway over doing precisely this. Basically you sign a piece of paper, and then do something else in practise (pretty standard European operation to be honest)

Medium term the European Council does need to wake up a little bit to the fact that they're increasingly out of touch with the people's of Europe, who are consistently registering disapproval ratings and concerns which suggest they want them to get on top of immigration. If you look at the polling, the UK is far from being an outlier. In fact its stuck in the middle when it comes to attitudes towards migration. What sets it apart is that we're the only country that's been brave/ stupid enough (delete as applicable) to put it to a referendum. I wouldn't be shocked to see a treaty amendment made in this direction within 5-10 years. If the Council continues to sit in their ivory towers though, they'll continue to play into the hands, and feed the rising right. I should point out of course that the UK doesn't really have an active extreme right wing like we see in France, Holland, Denmark, Hungary, Finland, Sweden, or Poland. Even the AfD are likely to poll about 6% in Germany, and for all the hate directed at the UKIP, they're still a couple of degrees separated from some of Europe's extremes. I see the Finnish government collapsed today incidentally, because of the Finns Party

Picking an off-the-shelf EEA deal also makes it difficult for the European negotiating team to introduce some of their more outlandish demands, due to precedent being established. Custom and precedent can of course stand up in law, although in this case it would be the principle you'd perhaps look to apply, as the EU aren't under any obligation to offer the UK an EEA deal, but to be honest, they'd be extremely churlish not to do so. They might also begin to find it difficult to hold back some of the industries in Europe who will also want to protect their own export market to the UK, if they're seen to be acting unreasonably

Once in the EEA, the UK can then set about trying to cobble together some of our own deals. So far to date, the EU is more notable for the number of FTA deals its failed to conclude. It's often said that the EU tends to negotiate in favour manufacturing (Germany) and agriculture (France) and then trades back services (the UK). A lot of commentators suggest that the UK has never rally done that well out of EU deals for this reason, as they skew in favour of the duopoly. I'd like to see someone quantify this personally, but the UK would get breathing space taking EEA which would her allow to plough her own furrow and trade services in return for manufacturing and agriculture, with the view to making a final decision in a decades time

The loose cannon in all this of course is the Trump man, and longer term, America's slide towards right wing authoritarianism, which probably began in the early 70's. The UK still has a potential role to play here as an Atlantic bridge

Last edited:
Very good post, Warbler.

Re the wider EU consideration, the election of Macron will see the dynamic change, and a drive towards greater integration - though I think it is possibly going to be a different kind of integration (addressing other areas), than the usual strict interpretation of 'Super-State' creation.

One of my main arguments for remaining before the Referendum, was that it seemed an inevitability that the EU would be compelled to change (for the better) anyway, and that we would be best-off adopting a wait-and-see-attitude. Unfortunately, we seem destined to be on the outside looking-in, when that change happens.

Insofar as Brexit is concerned, you've already named enough Remain-leaning Tories, to place any legislation in jeopardy. Again, hopefully wise and/or pragmatic heads will prevail, and we will see an economy-centric approach adopted, with immigration a secondary-consideration. The two-speed approach you have painted in your post, would be perfectly-acceptable to me.

Last edited:
It should also be noted that May's cardinal-sin, has been to promote the odious reptile Gove to the Cabinet, meaning his bath-mat face is back on my telly.

My view of Tory MP's at the min ( well, the view I can air in public! ), is this. Until a week ago, you were an MP in a constituency with X thousand majority. Now, if you managed to survive, you are an MP with X minus around 80/90% of the majority you had, and all down to one person. Now, personally, I would be thinking that this particular person is probably on very borrowed time. I quite like being the MP for wherever, and would be more than happy to carry on once TM has been booted into orbit. Personally, I would have no issues starting to look after number one, and if that meant not voting for every single policy introduced, then so be it. She's out sooner or later, and you want to try and hang on next time the election is called. As has been said, even if they get the DUP on board, it's still far from guaranteed that governing will not prove troublesome in the coming months.

My view of Tory MP's at the min ( well, the view I can air in public! ), is this. Until a week ago, you were an MP in a constituency with X thousand majority. Now, if you managed to survive, you are an MP with X minus around 80/90% of the majority you had, and all down to one person. Now, personally, I would be thinking that this particular person is probably on very borrowed time. I quite like being the MP for wherever, and would be more than happy to carry on once TM has been booted into orbit. Personally, I would have no issues starting to look after number one, and if that meant not voting for every single policy introduced, then so be it. She's out sooner or later, and you want to try and hang on next time the election is called. As has been said, even if they get the DUP on board, it's still far from guaranteed that governing will not prove troublesome in the coming months.

Counterpoint that with the fact that Labour has increased even more in the polls since the election - so any imminent return to the polls will likely see all of the MPs falling into the category above losing their seats.

So they aren't likely to push her over the edge immediately out of their own self-interest.

Counterpoint that with the fact that Labour has increased even more in the polls since the election - so any imminent return to the polls will likely see all of the MPs falling into the category above losing their seats.

So they aren't likely to push her over the edge immediately out of their own self-interest.

Or with the continuing slide, it could be argued that it is in their best interests to push her as soon as possible.

Warbler, the correlation between levels of support for right wing parties and attitudes to immigration and to the EU in general is not obvious.

Generally speaking levels of attachment to the EU have been increasing in Member States and don't support the narrative popular in some places that public opinion in Europe is turning against it. Here are some figures for the largest Member States and one or two others in 2002, 2014 and 2016. I have included 2014, before the Brexit referendum, because the 2016 figures reflect a surge in popularity of the EU in the remaining Member States caused by Brexit . Figures for the so-called new Member States, mainly in central and eastern Europe, don't go back as far as 2002.

Germany: In 2002 37% were either 'fairly attached' or 'very attached' to the EU, 49% in 2014 and 58% in 2016.
France: 46%, 52%, 53%
Italy: 59%, 39%, 41%
Spain: 36%, 46%, 58%
Netherlands: 23%, 32%, 41%
Belgium: 41%, 51%, 53%
Ireland: 41%, 43%, 57%
Finland: 19%, 34%, 44%.

Regarding immigration, the UK is mid-table and shows the same overall trend in the period Nov 2014 to Nov 2016 (the data don't go back any further) as most other Member States of reducing negativity towards immigration, whether from outside or inside the EU. The correlation with right wing populist parties, if it exists at all, is not straightforward. France has the Front National but attitudes to immigration are not conspicuously more negative than average. One of the countries mentioned by Warbler as having a strong populist and right wing party, Finland, has one of the lowest rates of negativity towards immigration. Belgium on the other hand has a very high rate of negativity and right wing populism is dominant in the Flemish part.

I don't see there being much impulsion to do away with the right to free movement in the single market, especially if economic conditions continue to improve.

Last edited:
Surveyed by Pew Research 12 months ago (what's your source?) -

Attitudes towards Europe

http://www.pewglobal.org/2016/06/07/euroskepticism-beyond-brexit/pm_2016-06-07_brexit-01/

Attitudes towards migrant crisis and Europe's handling of it. Not a single member state has a favourable view

http://www.pewglobal.org/2016/06/07/euroskepticism-beyond-brexit/pm_2016-06-07_brexit-03/

Attitudes towards closer integration (handing more powers to Europe) - not a single member state wants to give more away

http://www.pewglobal.org/2016/06/07/euroskepticism-beyond-brexit/pm_2016-06-07_brexit-05/

Approval ratings for European economic management

http://www.pewglobal.org/2016/06/07/euroskepticism-beyond-brexit/pm_2016-06-07_brexit-04/

I wouldn't pat yourselves on the back just yet if I were you.

Any bounce in pro-Europeanism I'm detecting at the moment seems to owe more to Donald Trump than Brexit

Re the wider EU consideration, the election of Macron will see the dynamic change, and a drive towards greater integration - though I think it is possibly going to be a different kind of integration (addressing other areas), than the usual strict interpretation of 'Super-State' creation.

We'll see, I wouldn't get too excited by Macron just yet. Politics is full of great expectations and new dawns. Invariably they flounder on the rocks of realism. As they described him on NBC yesterday (admittedly from an American perspective) he's "Hillary without the baggage" or as another commentator dared to draw parallels, "Obama". In 2008 of course Obama was propelled into office by a wave of young people with unrealistic expectations about building a new America. Eight years later where has that support gone? I don't know? but I do know that Donald Trump is President. Nothing works better for reactionary politics than the failure of expectation. Disillusion is a very powerful magnet for drawing people into other solutions

It's not as if Europe is too much different.

After decades of corruption weren't Forza Italia supposed to be a bright new broom? That didn't work out too well, and now the 5-star movement are on the rise. Tony Blair was another energetic youngster who captured the zeitgeist and momentarily rode a wave of optimism before he turned to driftwood on the beach. Politically, Macron is only a centrist. It's hardly unheard of. Ultimately he's a symptom of desperation with both the traditional parties of France failing to make the run off. Where do the French turn if he fails? (and most politicians will do). I doubt we've heard the last of the FN somehow. They could easily look more powerful with 4-5 years time as options run out and the lustre wears off

I wouldn't pat yourselves on the back just yet if I were you.

Don't worry, I wasn't planning to pat myself on the back any time soon (but I can't speak for others of course).

The source for the figures I've quoted is Eurobarometer, a periodic survey conducted on behalf of the European Commission. The survey started in 1974, and the advantage is that for some questions quite lengthy time series are available. To me the important point is not the absolute figures so much as the trends indicated.

I think a lot of people would be surprised given the generally negative tone of commentary on EU affairs that feelings of attachment to the EU are generally strengthening rather than weakening, although Italy is an important exception and presumably Greece is too. People might also find it interesting that in spite of the almighty mess made of the refugee crisis, feelings of hostility to immigration show signs of easing.

The reason for mentioning all this is that it might be wrong to assume other Member States might be willing to end free movement in the single market.

Until a week ago, you were an MP in a constituency with X thousand majority. Now, if you managed to survive, you are an MP with X minus around 80/90% of the majority you had

That's not the case, there's still plenty of Tory seats with very healthy majorities The Conservative vote share actually increased by 5.5% but they lost 13 seats while Labour's was up by 9.6% and they gained 30 seats. 83% of the electorate voted for the 'big 2' compared to 67% in 2015

No doubt the psephologists are busy analysing the voting behaviour of distinct sections of the electorate but my simplistic take at the moment is that the increase in Labour vote was largely due to the youth vote (cf. the increased turnout) and due a little to working-class UKIP voters not migrating, as predicted, en masse to the Tories but returning to Labour

Regarding the young, so well energised by Corbyn: I have a suspicion that they might not turn out in such numbers next time, having been disappointed that this strenuously organised massing didn't result in a win for Labour. Naiive and impatient of course as turnarounds take time but the young tend to be naiive and impatient

I'm of the opinion that contrary to received wisdom May didn't and doesn't personally want a 'hard' brexit and that one of the supplementary and more worthy reasons she called the election was to weaken the 'hard' members in her party by increasing the numbers of less extreme members on the Tory benches. As it's turned out she's probably even more in the hands of those demanding hard Brexit; which is why she could be open to talks with the opposition parties about forming a cross-party 'committee of national unity' to handle Brexit negotions; something the oppos have thankfully been muttering about, but only amongst themselves

Assuming that the deal with the DUP comes off I'd be wary of believing the government will fall sooner than later as I well remember the Labour government of the '70s which managed to negotiate nearly five years as a near-minority and minority administration, and a year after the short-lived 'Lib-Lab Pact' (read Con-DUP Pact) collapsed. Though it did take an almighty effort to see it through

Just a ramble I felt like getting off my chest

Last edited:
I think you're giving Theresa May far too much credit

I wouldn't look too far beyond a slight tweaking of 'Hanlon's Razor' myself

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"

Non of the decent candidates put in the shadow cabinet,think I will be changing my mind of any landslide or even winning,agree with drone if this starts to come across as a smug pyrrhiyc victory and playing on it only one way things will go.

Corbyn only got the young vote over tuition fees.

Chronologically, that explanation doesn't really work. The surge in young people registering (500,000 in the final week before the deadline) came before the announcement of the tuition fees policy. Anyone who hadn't registered after that couldn't vote

Corbyn only got the young vote over tuition fees , Labour will just open the gates for more immigrants , look at this Tower Block fire incident , very few British people , same all across London , ******* disgrace what all Governments have done to this country .. CUNTS the lot of them .

Stick to the betfair forum brother,you will be in your element there..

Pointing out labour are doomed in that spiked article,think it's what we've been saying the potential is there for just standing for an ideology something the right love to bang on about,that's why not seeing some of the suggestions for the shadow cabinet was very disappointing.I see dan Jarvis for pm is 50/1,i would suggest that looks value still when looking at likely candidates,the torys have no one they look absolutely awful,i have emailed him a few times and he has replied but obviously gives nothing away as regards cabinet posts etc.I get the impression he may have been expecting a post,crazy he's just the person for all this tragedy that's going on a man of the people the others are just fakery..

thank you comrade, you keep safe in your sleepy little town where your ethnic population is probably 1% ,refugees are welcome but not where i live please, right on brother :cool:

I see dan Jarvis for pm is 50/1,i would suggest that looks value still when looking at likely candidates,the torys have no one they look absolutely awful.

Is this a PM at some time in his life market. The only market I've seen is next PM, and right now that would have to be the Tory that replaces the hapless Theresa May. There is simply no way that the Tories are going to let that android run another campaign. She's looking decidedly accident prone all of a sudden and the 'strong and stable' veneer has been shattered. This latest fiasco that she's mishandled is just the latest example. It has echoes actually of George Bush and Hurricane Katrina. His personal reputation never recovered and it allowed other things to build on him more easily

I only monitor Betfair, and Jarvis is 24.0 to be PM after May and 16.0 to be next Labour leader

The market for next Conservative leader is just too horrific to contemplate, with one exception: if Ruth Davidson resigned her seat in the Scottish parliament presumably she'd be allowed to contest a by-election for the UK parliament

Or would she be allowed to contest one and still keep her Scottish seat?

Or would she be allowed to become UK PM if remaining just in her current position of leader of the Scottish Conservatives?

Either a straightforward NO mandated by statute or a legal minefield as no one could have envisaged the scenario and it wasn't considered

Last edited:
I think you need to remember how the Conservatives elect their leaders

Are the parliamentary party going to support a candidate with no ministerial experience whose never held a government post nor managed a Whitehall department? In fairness, they elected Cameron, so its possible. Are they going to support a staunch 'remainer' who is quite a bit younger than them? Even if she gets over these hurdles, will the party's membership support a gobby Scottish lesbian? When was the last time the country voted for a Prime Minister with a regional accent? Harold Wilson? (you might argue John Smith would have won in '97) but it's usually considered a vote loser

Last edited:
Is this a PM at some time in his life market. The only market I've seen is next PM, and right now that would have to be the Tory that replaces the hapless Theresa May. There is simply no way that the Tories are going to let that android run another campaign. She's looking decidedly accident prone all of a sudden and the 'strong and stable' veneer has been shattered. This latest fiasco that she's mishandled is just the latest example. It has echoes actually of George Bush and Hurricane Katrina. His personal reputation never recovered and it allowed other things to build on him more easily

Spot on regarding Bush.

May still a 1.1 chance for Next PM, and I'm probably only digging my hole a little deeper, but I've had a poke at Damien Green at 400+. He is inoffensive, reasonably centrist, and whilst he is a soft Remainer who could spook some of the right-wingers, he should be able to work reasonably-seamlessly with Hammond and the rest of the Cabinet, as part of an interim arrangement.

I just need Queens Speech to fall at the last. :lol:

Back