Uk Trained Bumper Horses

Originally posted by bernardo@Feb 10 2006, 05:36 PM
Of the last 16 winners of the Gold Cup how many different horses started their careers in bumpers?

The winners of six Gold Cups in the last sixteen years, but four different horses, started their careers in bumpers - Garrison Savannah, Jodami, Best Mate and Kicking King.

It shouldn't be too much of a surprise as you have to take out those Gold Cup winners who came from Hunter 'Chases and the French winner.

..................but they haven't been around for ever in this country, have they Brian?

Seems relatively recent to me..................but as you know at our age the memory plays tricks!! :D

Originally posted by BrianH+Feb 10 2006, 06:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BrianH @ Feb 10 2006, 06:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Irish Stamp@Feb 10 2006, 05:37 PM
Haven't bumpers only been around since the early 90's?
What on earth gave you that idea? [/b][/quote]
The lack of any mention of them in relation to pre-90's racing led me to believe they were a relatively new invention.

Scotsirish is as low as 6/1 with Chronicle to win the Cheltenham bumper. He's entered in a couple of bumpers this week to try and qualify. You would expect him to be able to win if he is to have any chance at Cheltenham, but who knows, he may be a little less fit than expected or run green or may just run up against something decent that is superfit.

As a safety catch, you'd wonder why they don't qualify these decent horses earlier in the year, or try to pick up some soft bumper in the UK. I suspect today's race at Fontwell is less likely to contain a hidden danger that he might find at Clonmel or Gowran.

The money taken on course for the bumper at Leopardstown on Sunday was 400,000 Euro compared with a total of 2.5m Euro in total for the 8 races. We went into the ring to take a price and had to go through punters 10 deep to reach the rails bookmaker and get the price we were looking for.

I was impressed with the finish in the bumper at Plumpton yesterday. It might just turn out to be a better than average race.

Leading Contender is out to 85 on betfair.I have backed him at 65,75 & 85 but there must be a doubt regarding his fitness if he is that big a price.

The UK bumper form of Paul Nicholl's Pepperoni Pete was again advertised on Monday when Alan King's Pangbourne won the Folkestone bumper by 20 lengths under a penalty. Since being beaten by PP he has now won his next two bumpers.

I expect PP to run again before Cheltenham and this will give a good indication of his chances.

The UK bumper form of Paul Nicholl's Pepperoni Pete was again advertised on Monday when Alan King's Pangbourne won the Folkestone bumper by 20 lengths under a penalty. Since being beaten by PP he has now won his next two bumpers.

I expect PP to run again before Cheltenham and this will give a good indication of his chances.

Paul has now said that PP will go to Newbury and will bypass Cheltenham and go to Aintree instead.

So if you fancy backing an English winner then Kicks for Free will be Paul's entry at Cheltenham for the Championship bumper.

Originally posted by Diamond Geezer@Feb 24 2006, 06:34 PM
Can offer a quiet word for Press Gang from the stable who had the runner up last year.
Not such a quiet word there, DG - I have been waiting for his reappearance with interest (was an intended runner at Newbury last week) - yard thinks very highly of him enough to consider running him in Cup races on flat.

Paul was interviewed on ATR today by Chaparse,the horse was mentioned but no more than that.
Concentrated more on talking about the latest setback for the luckless Patricksnineteenth who is out for the season after finding heat in a leg the other day.

I think after today that the English runners with real chances are depleted. Both Pepporoni Pete and Wichita Lineman are said to be going to Aintree rather than Cheltenham. Both these horses looked magnificant in the paddock but once again we have a bumper in the UK run at a ridiculous pace.

Both Henderson horses were fancied today but were pulled out because of the fast ground. Look out for both Wantage Road and Barbers Shop when they are entered.

My view now is that the best UK bumper horse for the Cheltenham bumper is Kicks for Free who beat todays runner up Kimi as he liked at Wincanton in his last race.

However I shall not be having a bet until the day as I want to see which horse Ruby chooses before I decide on where my money will go.

Bernardo! Your track record in these bumpers ensured that I took notice. Unfortunately just before I put the money down I received a phone call that distracted me! :cry: Ugger!

Back