Unbelievable!

Shadow Leader

At the Start
The brass neck of foreign cold callers amazes me. Phonecall received this evening :

- hello, can I speak to Mrs Whodjamaflip?

- you'll struggle, she hasn't lived here in 8 years

- so I assume you have control of paying the phonebill?

- no I don't, he's out at the moment

- well, I'm sure you can make a decision for the bill payer though, can't you?

:eek:

It is worth pointing out that at this stage I was so shocked I didn't even swear at him! Just told him 'no, I can't make a decision, the cheek of it! I'm not interested, goodbye'.

So, I wonder how many 3yo toddlers have changed telephone providers for their parents, or bought them a new conservatory or a house full of new double glazing?!

Someone representing a bank called me at half time in the Man Utd/Arsenal to speak about my account. I kindly reminded her it was a Saturday and to f*** off.

The much-missed Golden Cygnet from TRF always indulges cold callers - especially those from finance companies.

He always tells them that he has £2M in debt that he would like to consolidate, when they offer him "one easy monthly payment". Hard to believe that nine times out ten, the conversation continues beyond this point, but it does.

I once got into a great debate (sad I know) with a caller from Southern Electric who was trying to get me to switch. I had him on for about 45 minutes, making him work, I got him to read me the company's Environmental policy and everything. In the end he said to me, 'look what possible reason did I have for not switching?'

I told him that npower sponsored the national cricket team and I was worried that if I contributed to a shrinkage of their customer base then there could be potential knock on effect to that sponsorship and ultimately even the team. That was not a risk that I was prepared to take with the 2005 ashes looming.

He just laughed and said 'look I'm sending you the pack whether you want it or not' and then he just hung up.

Anyway the pack turned up and it turned out that I could save a few quid so I switched.

A few days later the phone rang and it was the same guy ringing just to say that he had got me in the end!

I congratulated him on his efforts and a couple of months later England won the ashes. ...I was half expecting a call!

I told him that npower sponsored the national cricket team and I was worried that if I contributed to a shrinkage of their customer base then there could be potential knock on effect to that sponsorship and ultimately even the team. That was not a risk that I was prepared to take with the 2005 ashes looming.

Along the same lines, I'm considering selling up my house to try and find one being sold by Menolly Homes, sponsors of Meath GAA.

Then again, knowing Seamus Ross, he'll probably use my dosh to snap up another handicap good thing to put in Tony Martin's yard! :D

Sent a Vodaphone rep round the houses fro about 20 minutes before asking him "don't you sponsor Manchester United?". He was evavsive and twitchy and pretended he didn't know. I asked him to find out. He came abck and said no one knew.

"I think you do don't you?".
"Well we migth have something to do with them" he reluctantly conceeded but tried to talk down it down.
"I remember" I squalked triumphantly
"You're their principal shirt sponsor aren't you?"
"Well ....,. yes ..... I think we might be, someone did suggest that"
"That seals the deal then" I said
"I'd rather communicate using a carrier pigeon than deal with a company that associates with that lot. Be sure to let your marketing department know that Alex ferguson has cost them another contract won't you?"

nb

Vodaphone no longer sponsor Man U, and it is well documented that lots of City fans in particular handed their phones back. Mind you, the now nationalised insurance company of America have taken on the sponsorship now. Good product association I'd say. Glazers buy the club and incure a huge debt, so AIG say hey this is the brand we want to be with

Man Utd: incurs huge debt, wins European Cup.

Leeds: incurs huge debt, gets double-relegation, points deduction & Ken Bates.

No justice, is there? ;)

Best way to respond is

"I am glad you have called because i would like to tell you about jesus..."

I might try that one next time Clive!

I do have full responsibilty for the phone/electric etc but quite often say I don't just in order to get rid of them.

We get a lot of calls where I work from people claiming to be calling from certain business directories apparently trying to clarify our business details, usually quoting our address as the premises which we moved from about 9 years ago. Normally they're foreign or certainly don't speak very good English and we normally have to be careful as if you do give out any details they tend to send a bill to head office for it. Drives me round the bend.

Possibly not - however it was an indication of how the call was likely to go when you answer with "hello........hello?" during the 5 second time delay.....

The delay is nothing to do with it being a foreign call centre - it's the automatic dialler system.

I find that repeatedly saying "shut up and get off my phone" every time they say something works for me.

Oh, and if they represent a UK based company and you are on the TPS list, they can be fined up to £20k for calling you. Reminding them of that has a fairly good effect as well.

There's an idea, Simmo. In truth I've no idea if we're on the TPS list but we are certainly ex-directory.

Grassy, yer man sounds entirely all class!!! :D

Putting the phone down is an oft forgotten but perfectly reasonable method of dealing with unsolicited sales calls that prevents one of a manic disposition allowing themselves to become unduly stressed by the ongoing situation.

Dublin Airport is a National disgrace. A marketing company called to ask questions about how a good a job the Dublin Airport Authority where doing. They used to call regularly enough as if i was n't busy I'd take the call. Anyway, I was only too delighted to give my opinion about the Kip that is Dublin Airport, which is the first thing visitors to our Country experience. They never called again ...curious :(

Maybe it's because they got exactly the same response from everyone else they rang. I hate the place.

Back