Unexposed types to watch.

Colin Phillips

At the Start
Hi! All.

Haven’t made a meaningful post on here for some time, yeah I know, some would say I never have.

Some of you may know that Madame and I have haven’t had the best of years (2010) on the health front. That, and the fact that I had become disillusioned with the presentation of the sport on the box, plus the carnage and loss of equine life at the Grand National meeting last year has meant that I haven’t watched any live racing since the Friday of that meeting. Squeamish? - probably, tree-hugger? - probably, precious? - definitely.

Any racing I watch these days is on the replay facility on Racing UK and At The Races. I’ve always been a bit odd!

But the sport is dragging me back and I thought I’d start a thread for unexposed types.

I love picking out a horse early in its career and then follow it as it (hopefully!!) rises through the ranks.

I seem to get as much, if not more, enjoyment from a fancy-priced placed horse as from a rather obvious winner.

The idea of the thread is to encourage any other similarly inclined poster to share his/her thoughts, about a bumper horse, novice hurdler, maiden two and three year olds that have caught their eye, with us.

Going on a bit ‘ere, apologies. Right, to start the thread off.

KING’S GREY 7-y-o grey gelding trained by Keith Reveley

Spotted when racing prominently and jumping well on his hurdling debut at Newcastle in November. Went off at 14/1 and was in second place two out, then swallowed up and finished fifth beaten 13.5 lengths. That was over two miles, stepped up to 2.5 next time at Ayr in January, started at 12/1 and looked the winner as he jumped the last in front, again having jumped nicely, but was done for toe by the favourite after the last.

He is a strapping grey and has the build of a chaser, so it was a little surprising that he had the speed to win what was probably a poor Huntingdon bumper on debut, backed in to 2/1 favourite from 4’s that day. Difficult to explain a poor effort on his second run in a bumper, at Newcastle, 9/4 favourite, tailed off and only beating one home.

He has an entry in the Haydock 3.50 on Saturday, a ‘fixed- brush’ race, which should suit but it looks quite competitive at this stage.

Last edited:
Cheers Col. Good idea for a thread. Upcoming potential is what reviving the doldrums is all about, after all.

Really liked Nicky Henderson's Trozulon when he ran 3rd at Cheltenham on New Year's Day in the bumper. He didn't have the speed of the first and second (race was only 1m 6f) but he was a really lovely stamp of a horse and I will be looking forward to him going hurdling.

Really liked Nicky Henderson's Trozulon when he ran 3rd at Cheltenham on New Year's Day in the bumper. He didn't have the speed of the first and second (race was only 1m 6f) but he was a really lovely stamp of a horse and I will be looking forward to him going hurdling.

Funny - he is the one horse I took out of xmas!

I'm not sure does he lack speed though - he looked to have plenty to me but wasn't given the best ride by Barry G and subsequently got into trouble. I wonder are they tempted to go hurdling with him this season?

Very pleased to see you back among the almost-living, Colin, old bean. I think many, if not most of us, get dispirited with the game from time to time, for all sorts of reasons. It's probably because some of us overload ourselves watching virtually every race, now there are two live channels as well as the Morning Line/Ch.4, etc. and so many publications to scull through. Like romance (she now tries desperately to remember those dear, dead days beyond recall), absence can sometimes make the heart grow fonder, which it seems to have done for you. Hope you and Missus P. will enjoy improved health this year, which will help the outlook as well.

My own wee offering would be Emma Lavelle's BOUGGLER, not yet quite up to the standard I believe he will offer in the rest of this and next season.

Funny - he is the one horse I took out of xmas!

I'm not sure does he lack speed though - he looked to have plenty to me but wasn't given the best ride by Barry G and subsequently got into trouble. I wonder are they tempted to go hurdling with him this season?

I'm sure he has got speed but thrown in against 2 Flat breds - winner was half brother to Clowance and second was from family of Workforce! So you'd expect them to be sharper over that trip! Trozulon, I believe, is out of a half sister to Juveigneur. I liked all three to be honest but this horse had more scope to progress.

CAOLANEOIN (IRE) 5-y-o bay gelding trained by Seamus Fahey

This King's Theatre gelding made his racecourse debut at Fairyhouse last Sunday. Starting at 16/1 he was held up at the rear of the field, made ground nicely entering the straight and was in the lead with two to run, but had to give best inside the final furlong to the hot-pot Lovethehigherlaw (1/3 fav.)

Caolaneoin (pity the poor English commentator:confused:) has the size to make it over hurdles and fences and made a very satisfactory start to his career here.

Last edited:
CAOLANEOIN (IRE) 5-y-o bay gelding trained by Seamus Fahey

This King's Theatre gelding made his racecourse debut at Fairyhouse last Sunday. Starting at 16/1 he was held up at the rear of the field, made ground nicely entering the straight and was in the lead with two to run, but had to give best inside the final furlong to the hot-pot Lovethehigherlaw (1/3 fav.)

Caolaneoin (pity the poor English commentator:confused:) has the size to make it over hurdles and fences and made a very satisfactory start to his career here.

Just about to post about the same horse!! The front two stretched well clear of the third - this horse is a tank - huge but also athletic! A smashing horse to look forward too!!! Good call Colin

Cheers, OTB...............great minds and all that excrement!;)

I'll third that. Not a great bumper in terms of depth, but the Caolaneoin (Keel-An-Owen) looks a horse with a future. On the same card, first race winner Bayross went off at 195 on Betfair, but that was probably due to no fecker knowing who trainer John Larkin is, and there was absolutely no fluke about the win. One to keep on side. In fact, mares hurdle runner-up Belle Brook might make it 3 under-the-radar types at the meeting to watch.

Possibly could if they put on another of those bumpers for jumpers cards?

But certainly not a bog standard bumper.

My horse to follow for this thread is Flaming Gorge (Nick Williams).

First caught my eye on the last of 3 runs for Hen Knight in bumpers when I was at Lingers last year.
Looked like a horse with a bit of scope and although well beaten ran a bit better than the finishing position suggested.
Was moved to Williams after that and won well on debut for him at Chepstow over hurdles (not much of an endorsement of how Hen's training is going these days).

Anyhoo ran respectably at Chelters on his reappearance before stopping as if shot after racing prominently at Sandown.
Perhaps ran a bit too free that day.

That was it for hurdles and he went straight into novice handicaps over fences where he has finished 2nd at Exeter and at Newbury on Wednesday.
Won't be a star but should win his share of races.

Monbeg Dude (Michael Scudamore) is my horse to follow for this thread - won his only point start in Ireland last year and was front rank throughout before being outpaced only to finish like a train in a Maiden Bumper at Uttoxeter last month. He contests a hot Fixed Brush Novices event tomorrow at Haydock with Donald McCain's Tornado Bob, Soir Destruval of Alan King's and the ex-Willie Mullins trained Don't Turn Bach representing the Paul Nicholls stable in opposition. He'll surely appreciate 3m in time but he's my selection as an unexposed horse to look out for.

Martin

Back