Unexposed types to watch.

Emma Lavelle seems to have a cracking hand this season - I think anything of hers is well worth watching for the first few runs.

Mount Benbulben - would like to nominate this fellow as a horse to follow. Made his rules debut today in the bumper at Down Royal after breaking his P2P debut at Tinahely last month. Nothing remarkable in that, however he uprooted nearly every fence on that occassion yet still won hard held. Backed from a best early price of 33/1 into 11/2 today for trainer Gillian Callaghan (I believe he was her first rules runner) he travelled very well for a long way under Andrew Duff before being outpaced early in the straight, and badly hampered 1f out prior to running on strongly to finish fourth. The front three today all had Bumper experience (winner had finished 8th at Down Royal in December, second had had 4 bumper starts and the 3rd was beaten a head on his debut at Hexham last June). He made very bad mistakes in both of his P2P starts but he clearly has some engine if they can rectify those problems and is more than capable of taking a Bumper prior to going hurdling.

Martin

Last edited:
I'd be a weeny bit concerned as to how he'd chase, IS, if that's where they think his destiny lies! Not so bad upsides three or four others in PtP work, but you can't be mucking around with typical Irish-size fields when your jumps work isn't too hot. But I suspect you're money's going to be down on the Bumper first!

I'd be a weeny bit concerned as to how he'd chase, IS, if that's where they think his destiny lies! Not so bad upsides three or four others in PtP work, but you can't be mucking around with typical Irish-size fields when your jumps work isn't too hot. But I suspect you're money's going to be down on the Bumper first!
"going to be down" should read "was down" Kri and yes it will be down again.

Chasing will be his game in time surely - but only providing he brushes up on his jumping in a major way.

Oh, too bad for the wallet - but anything in the first four means you buy 'em in! And if he wins, I demand a doughnut, too!

Delighted to see BOUGGLER came 2nd at Bangor, then read a bit further... "3 ran" and the winning 'margin' was 10 lengths! Hmmm... I think that's a 'must try harder, see me after school'.

Delighted to see BOUGGLER came 2nd at Bangor, then read a bit further... "3 ran" and the winning 'margin' was 10 lengths! Hmmm... I think that's a 'must try harder, see me after school'.

Finished second to what could be a very good horse - Donald McCain said of Wymott at the start of the season - "I’ve never had an RSA Chase horse but if ever I’m going to have one this could be it." He's starting to look the part.

VINTAGE STAR 5-y-o bay gelding trained by Sue Smith.

This Presenting gelding made his debut in a Bangor bumper yesterday, finishing second. As you would expect of a horse owned by Trevor Hemmings he has the build of a future chaser.

He was prominent throughout this event and was in the lead approaching two out, he looked a touch clueless when the eventual winner went past with two to run but then ran on again and was only 3/4 length behind, and closing, at the line.

He should come on for the experience and perhaps pick up a similar event before he starts hurdling.

This thread'll be crammed come late next month/April, when tons of bouncy little 2 y.o.'s make their debuts. I love that time of year, particularly seeing which new sires produce precocity, or whose progeny will need time to grow and mature. And it's also a grand time for seeing the 3 y.o.'s who might've only had one or two runs (or none) and are now going to be set about their business.

I'd also put up Dorca's Lane from the Lucy Wadham yard, won her maiden in a good time at Lingfield and showed signs of greenness the other night at Kempton when second to the progressive Kuala Limper. Off a mark of 80, I think she's got a lot more races in her yet. Also helps she's from an unfashionable yard as we'll always have a nice enough price about her.

Hi Big Man due to run tomorrow at Punchestown. Suffered a small stone bruise before the re-arranged Leopardstown fixture - fine since - expected to run a decent race at a big price.

I'm hoping Dante's Storm can win the hunter chase at Folkestone today en route to winning the Foxhunter's. He's a short price today.

Back