What are you backing Today? Part 2

One for tomorrow before I forget.

Uttoxeter

11.55 Hurricane Harvey is rated 5lbs lower over hurdles than fences. He was held up out the back the last day at Cheltenham but ran on really well for 8th place. The weight won't stop him tomorrow and his course form at Uttoxeter boosts my confidence. If his jockey can keep him in a reasonable race position for the early and middle part of the race and I'm hopeful he can, this horse is the one with a bit of class in this race. I'm hoping for 5 or 6s which would be a fair price to take.

Nice one Marb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One for tomorrow before I forget.

Uttoxeter

11.55 Hurricane Harvey is rated 5lbs lower over hurdles than fences. He was held up out the back the last day at Cheltenham but ran on really well for 8th place. The weight won't stop him tomorrow and his course form at Uttoxeter boosts my confidence. If his jockey can keep him in a reasonable race position for the early and middle part of the race and I'm hopeful he can, this horse is the one with a bit of class in this race. I'm hoping for 5 or 6s which would be a fair price to take.

Well done

Well done Marb.:cool:

1.55 Uttoxeter. Spitfire Girl looks better than a 90 horse to me, firt time in a handicap and Snowden is a shrewd trainer, a bit of money for it. Took 8.8 on betfair.

2.05 Fontwell. Family Business can go in again, again a shrewdd stable getting support. 4.6 on BFair.

Spifire looked the winner up to last 2 yards. Barsteward

Last edited:
Backed my cliff horse Lieutenant Rocco (Fontwell 14:05) each-way at 28/1 with Hills last night. As low as 12/1 this morning.

Yard in reasonable form, but probably TO's - justin case anyone was thinking of following me in!

Meh. Got excited for first two miles - horse isn’t seeing out his races.

International Jockeys Challenge [4 races] in Hong Kong tomorrow

Think Zac Purton ​is a worthy market leader @ 9-2 [Skybet]

As his record shows, Charlie Appleby is one of the best in the business at placing his horses and Bandinelli (8.00K) looks to have been teed for this decent prize up with his recent run in a quallifier. No surprise that Wm Buick turns up for the ride.
In with both feet.

The Beginners' Hollow Games won at Navan looked a very interesting race at the time with loads of potential behind the front two (for context the same race 12 months before was won by Buddy Rich from Ballyadam with the 3rd 70+l behind) and Get My Drift who was third that day, and Carrig Sam (8th) are the first to test the form tomorrow at Punchy. Ive taken 7/2 about the former.

Remain bullish about this race despite Get My Drift's poor showing (he might not have been off plus was ridden wide the whole way). A horse who was behind GMD at Navan finished second at Punchestown and the 4yo Six Feet Apart who was just ahead of that animal (Aaron's Day) in sixth runs in a Beginners at Clonmel tomorrow and 5/1 is acceptable. The fav is a Mullins having his first start over fences and the second choice is a De Bromhead who's form is working out but who is also stepping down in trip. Six Feet Apart gets all the allowances and should come on for that debut run.

As his record shows, Charlie Appleby is one of the best in the business at placing his horses and Bandinelli (8.00K) looks to have been teed for this decent prize up with his recent run in a quallifier. No surprise that Wm Buick turns up for the ride.
In with both feet.
Appeared not to stay - disastrous day!:surrender:

Bad day here also. The ground was too soft for Six Feet Apart which I kind of feared but fmo and all that.

I've taken 10/1 about Mumbo Jumbo for Lavelle tomorrow (1.15 Bang). He ran ok lto against Solo at Sandown where they missed a few fences out because of standing water. The ground will be better here and his Uttoxeter form over 2m6 (this is 3m) gives him a shot.

Last edited:
Saturday

1.44 Newcastle-Paddy The Squire

Each Way @ 18-1 [Skybet] 4 places

Interesting newcomer as cost a lot of money for his small stable

I like Kauto Riko at Doncaster tomorrow although I am aware he is doubly entered with a declaration at Cheltenham aswell. Hopefully connections see sense and run him in this race at Doncaster, where he finished a good second in the exact same event last season behind Two For Gold off a 4lb higher mark.

I make Kauto about a 6/1 chance for Doncaster tomorrow so anything bigger than that is worth a bet win only.

Castle Robin was a horse I thought could be half decent last season but I am not sure about him. I'd want to see him return to decent form after being pulled up the last day, before considering backing him again.

At 9/2 he is bad value. All things considered Kauto Riko can win this if he runs.

Last edited:
I can understand that but 10/1 for a race I believe he has every right to win, or the much bigger odds for a race I reckon at very best he can only finish 7th or 8th seems like a no brainer to me, as a punter anyway.

Maybe his owner will see this through the dimension you have mentioned.

Last edited:
I can understand that but 10/1 for a race I believe he has every right to win, or the much bigger odds for a race I reckon at very best he can only finish 7th or 8th seems like a no brainer to me, as a punter anyway.

Maybe an owner would see this through a different dimension.

I'm not sure I follow your logic, Marb.

Are you suggesting that the winner of the Doncaster race couldn't finish any better than seventh in the Cheltenham race?

The logical extension of that argument is that winners of Doncaster handicaps should not be raised for winning but should in fact be lowered to enable them to contend a Cheltenham one in future.

I'm not sure I follow your logic either, DO.

The Doncaster race is his level I reckon. There are a host of seriously progressive types at Cheltenham in a race you have described as ridiculously competative.

It's pretty obvious that he should run in the race he has the best chance in.

It's not like he is a odds-on chance for Doncaster either.

Finally, I'm the one who gives him a great chance at Doncaster, not neccesarily his trainer, and as I am not his trainer, I say go to Doncaster!!

Last edited:
Yes, I do think the Cheltenham race is hugely competitive.

Perhaps the difference between us is that I have Kauto Riko as in with a shout if he's anywhere near his best form. I haven't backed him yet because I'm hoping that most punters will give him as little chance as you and I might yet get better than 50/1.

Fair enough, DO.

As I am sure you know he was fourth 2 years ago in a Paddy Power Gold Cup behind some really good handicappers like Coole Cody, so that would definately give you some hope for Cheltenham.

He has some good bits and pieces of form for sure, and doesn't look harshly treated in the handicap either.

He is a bit inconsistent for my liking though, and so the fact he was second in the race at Doncaster last year and could run again there tomorrow I'd see as a real positive. It's one possible positive correlation amongst a career of the odd bit of excellence but plenty of mediocre runs to boot.

The odds suggest he will be up against it at Cheltenham, and so to summise I reckon Doncaster is definately the percentage call.

Last edited:
As I am sure you know he was fourth 2 years ago in a Paddy Power Gold Cup behind some really good handicappers like Coole Cody, so that would definately give you some hope for Cheltenham.

I put him on the longshot thread for that race.

Back