What are you backing Today? Part 2

Friday

8.05 Aintree-Salsada

Each Way @ 16-1 [Bet 365] 4 places

She has a lot of weight but better ground will suit

Friday, Hamilton 7.15 - Get Shirty 4/1 - I always like to have a look at this race because it’s one of the better handicaps at my local course. I hope Get Shirty can get back on the winning track. I backed him a few times last season but he didn’t have much of a time of it. However, his mark has come down a fair bit. His OR peaked at 110 in 2022 after coming over here from France in the late summer of 2021 with form around the 105 mark. A few quiet runs saw him start 2022 off 98 but they’d worked it down to 91 by the time he won a modest race at Thirsk. His form took off after that and his OR rose to 110 by the August when he was an excellent third to Trawlerman (rec 9lbs) in the Ebor under top weight. He was still running to RPRs of 112 early last season in the Middle East but never really got near that thereafter. His current 93 is 3lbs lower than when he won this two years ago, at the start of his rise. O’Meara is a dab hand at getting marks right down and picking up good races as and when they come on to his radar and I wouldn’t be surprised if the idea now is to get his mark up enough to get into the Copper Horse at Ascot near the bottom of the weights. 97 was the cut-off point last year so a 5lbs rise would give him a shout.

I'm quite tempted with the 40s on offer, for Call me Harswell in the first.
Two runs at Beverley, winning 2nd time out from a high draw is no mean feat there.
Sounds a speedy type, looking at her first 2 runs.

7.30 Aintree Into Overdrive 14/1 seems reasonable. His win in the 2022 Rowland Meyrick is probably more than the others have achieved and he did go off 10/1 for the 2023 Ultima. Only seen twice since, firstly in the attritional 2023 Rowland Meyrick and secondly over an inadequate trip (unsurprisingly outpaced). Happy to forgive both those efforts and take a chance at the price

Fantastic card at Newbury, worthy of any big festival day.

1.50 - Desert Hero should win and the yard is in cracking form. Cemhaan looks seriously overpriced, though, and is worth an ew bet. I’ve also taken 10/1 (win only, and grudgingly) without the favourite.

3.00 - I have Black Run top rated so 14/1 (yesterday evening) looked a bit tasty but it's been backed this morning. The best I could get was 9s. The other one I've backed is Into Battle as I think there’s a case for believing its win last month to be a lot better than RPRs are going. I thought about the Easterby horse because they don’t often send them down here but 10/1 is a bit skinny.

3.35 - If Big Rock turns up in the same form that saw him win last backend at Ascot he will take care of this field. He did that day what Hawk Wing did in this race 21 years ago in making all at a fast pace that took everything out of its comfort zone. A repeat will win this. Audience looks over-priced so is worth a small ew interest. I’ll be watching Real World with interest too. He would give them all a race on his 2022 Queen Anne second to Baeed but that race appears to have bottomed him. Still, he could end up getting into the Hunt Cup off around 107 or even less and could have prospects of winning that again.

4.10 - The one of mine that’s out of kilter with RPRs is Rumstar. I’ve taken 25/1 ew, 4 pl. Its form with Shaquille (Commonwealth Cup) and the Hackwood last season sets it apart on my figures. Lethal Levi (12/1) is the other one I rate highly (and have backed).

4.45 - Biggles (12/1), Terwada (18/1) and Sonny Liston (7/1) are the ones that appeal most on my figures. All three are backable prices. Preference is for Terwada as the other two might be targeting royal Ascot whereas Terwada will need to go up the ratings to get into any of the big handicaps there.

Newmarket 2.40 - The main bet is Quinault from whom I’m expecting further progress this season. Desert Cop had something to spare last time at 6f but I’m not sure about this step up in trip. Summerghand was tailed off the other day but you just never know with O’Meara. I suppose some sickness insurance is in order but the bookies aren’t really taking any chances at 11/1. Gorak will be the main saver. I've mentioned Imperial Fighter on the longshot thread.

Back