What are you backing Today? Part 2

The languid Simon Holt is knocking in winners on the sporting life website.

I've joined him by backing My Oberon and Happy Romance tomorrow, (I think it's time to lay/trade out then, Simon). :)

Last edited:
The languid Simon Holt is knocking in winners on the sporting life website.

I've joined him by backing My Oberon and Happy Romance tomorrow, (I think it's time to lay/trade out then, Simon). :)

Tactical is surely too good for the field he faces today. I'd make him 11/8

Lots of good racing today but very light on real betting opportunities along the lines of my usual preferences, so much so that I'm limiting myself to the best horses in the best races at Newbury.

Tactical 1.50 - should win on his Free Handicap form with Naval Crown which went on to finish fourth in the Guineas. I was hesitant about taking shortish odds but wouldn’t want to back anything to beat it. Having seen the replay of the Free Handicap, I reckon the run can be upgraded quite a bit so I'm happy to play.

Logician 2.25 - rated 3lbs higher than favourite Al Aasy yet gets 3lbs so in theory the latter has to improve another 6lbs to win. However, I think Logician's OR under-rates him and he's a G1 winner getting that weight. A couple of so-so performances last season require forgiving but I'm a forgiving sort of bloke. :rolleyes:

Palace Pier 3.35 - I thought 4/6 yesterday evening looked quite generous but he was pink in most places and 8/11 in a couple so I decided to wait until this morning hoping for the price with the BOG. The market is correcting itself and he's shortened up a bit again but 8/13 is still the kind of odds a professional should be hoovering up. This is a proper G1 horse taking on G2s.

The treble works out at nearly 11/1 when it should probably be around 7/1. (Which also means it's 1/7 at least one leg will let me down...)

Last edited:
The other plus for Tactical is the trainer. I'm hoping Balding might be the new Stoute for me. A top trainer who when you're humming and haaaring about a bet if he trains the horse it's a bet. Look at what he's done with Spanish Mission since he got him off Simcock.

Oz legend 3.00 Newbury
Devilwala 2.40 Newmarket
Bickerstaffe 3.15 Newmarket
Eastern trouble 4.50 navan

Yankee and singles

Also backed plantadream 4.45 Newbury and cold stare 3.55 thirsk

I've also backed sea empress for the oaks this morning at 8s price will collapse of she wins this race that sea of class win the other year in a canter for the same connections

Palace Pier 3.35 - I thought 4/6 yesterday evening looked quite generous but he was pink in most places and 8/11 in a couple so I decided to wait until this morning hoping for the price with the BOG. The market is correcting itself and he's shortened up a bit again but 8/13 is still the kind of odds a professional should be hoovering up. This is a proper G1 horse taking on G2s.

The only thing I got right all day.

Last edited:
Thanks. Didn’t know it was on. Clicked on just as the they were loading and one of the pundits mentioned Rombauer(sp) and I put my pennies on just in time. Woohoo!

Back