What are you watching

Effie Gray, on BBC2 last night. Film written by Emma Thompson, starring Dakota Fanning, who I think is a terrific young actor, Greg Wise, Tom Sturridge, John Suchet, Julie Walters and Thompson herself. Really interesting tale of her, Gray, marriage to John Ruskin.

Thanks. I wanted to see that when it was on at the cinema but missed it...hope it’s ok iplayer. Sure it will be.

On and off all afternoon between the racing etc, through until 7pm, on Blaze (Ch 63 up here, I think), Robert Redford's The West, a series of documentaries about the 'Wild West' covering the lives of the likes of Jesse James, Billy the Kid, Wyatt Earp, Sitting Bull, Custer, etc etc.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Is it likely to be repeated? I’d never heard of Blaze. I loved the Ken Burns documentaries about The West and The Civil War.

Is it likely to be repeated? I’d never heard of Blaze. I loved the Ken Burns documentaries about The West and The Civil War.

I reckon it will be repeated, and probably fairly soon, like so many of these programmes.

I've watched the Dust Bowl, The Civil War and several others more than once over the last few months.

On and off all afternoon between the racing etc, through until 7pm, on Blaze (Ch 63 up here, I think), Robert Redford's The West, a series of documentaries about the 'Wild West' covering the lives of the likes of Jesse James, Billy the Kid, Wyatt Earp, Sitting Bull, Custer, etc etc.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I remember this receiving very good reviews when if first broadcast. Thanks for the heads - up. Freeview 63 down here too :)

Probably been mentioned on here before.
Better Call Saul....Breaking Bad spin off.
Starts off extremely good then just gets better and better.
Fabulous!

I reckon it will be repeated, and probably fairly soon, like so many of these programmes.

I've watched the Dust Bowl, The Civil War and several others more than once over the last few months.
There was a great programme on Blaze yesterday, a sort of Irish version of Antiques Roadshow, which went round Dingle and Killarney. Brought back lovely memories of our little tours of Ireland that we used to combine with Punchestown Festival. Great Photography Challenge tonight on BBC which was good last week although I was annoyed that one of the briefs was to photograph ‘beach’ at Brighton but they were all then criticised for photographing the actual beach. There’s another photography one on Sky Tuesday night at 8.

Before We Die: first episode last night. Lesley Sharpe and Vincent Regan, who will be forever known to me as the ex of 'Godzilla' in Scott and Bailey. Based on Swedish series of the same name, which I admit I don't remember and I generally try to give them all a view hoping they're on a par with The Killing/The Bridge/Borgen. Hasn't got great reviews but she's a fabulous actor, and might be worth sticking with it.

Ten minutes into episode two I gave up. Very sorry to say this is dreadful. Can't believe Lesley Sharp got involved with it.

I watched a sweet little film on BBC the other night called Three Summers. An Australian rom com. I don’t tend to watch rom coms but this was a bit of a cross between A Blowing Wind and The Sapphires. I love Australian films and it turns out this one was written by Ben Elton.

Watched Time last night on BBC. A tough watch and probably quite accurate.

Typical McGovern so far, good cast, Bean using his natural accent which always helps! Whoever wrote script for The Martian didn't think to change the line ' you God damn coward' having to be said by Bean's character in a Yorkshire accent as it just sounded so wrong! :) Worse than De Niro's pronunciation of Hereford in Ronin.

French Open Tennis: Djokovic - Nadal. I don't particularly like either of them but this is one of THE greatest tennis matches - ever.

French authorities have extended the curfew so the crowd can stay to watch the end of the match.

Last edited:
Effie Gray, on BBC2 last night. Film written by Emma Thompson, starring Dakota Fanning, who I think is a terrific young actor, Greg Wise, Tom Sturridge, John Suchet, Julie Walters and Thompson herself. Really interesting tale of her, Gray, marriage to John Ruskin.

Watched it last night. Think I would have found it hard going at the cinema but enjoyed it curled up on the sofa with the dog and a cup of tea. Started watching it the other night but nodded off ( not because I was bored but because it was late) so read up on the history behind it all before rewatching it properly. Growing up in Birmingham one of my favourite places was the Museum and Art gallery which was full of Pre Raphaelte paintings so I’ve always loved them. I wish there could have been a follow up film of her life with Millais. What a strange, complex character Ruskin was.

Watched it last night. Think I would have found it hard going at the cinema but enjoyed it curled up on the sofa with the dog and a cup of tea. Started watching it the other night but nodded off ( not because I was bored but because it was late) so read up on the history behind it all before rewatching it properly. Growing up in Birmingham one of my favourite places was the Museum and Art gallery which was full of Pre Raphaelte paintings so I’ve always loved them. I wish there could have been a follow up film of her life with Millais. What a strange, complex character Ruskin was.

I did a bit of research after watching it- never realised Millais was responsible for a lot of the paintings he did. I love looking at art - National Portrait Gallery one of my favourite places on the planet, but admit to knowing very little about it. Ruskin was 'different'- very surprising in a way that he had a career at all but obviously of his time.
Thought the cast generally bore a lot of resemblance to the real life people they were portraying looking at pictures of the main protagonists.

Maybe Emma Thompson realised her husband looked like Ruskin and decided to make a film about him! It reminded me a lot of the relationship between Lewis Carrol and Alice Liddell. The Victorians had strange attitudes towards children but, then again they also invented childhood. When we were sans dog for a year we did a bit of travelling to places we hadn’t been able to go to before and I got very emotional about going to Oxford and being in the very sweet shop that Alice Liddell used to go to.

Just been to see the Dream Alliance film this afternoon. It was actually pretty good on the whole except they made Philip Hobbs into a rather snooty individual when he’s anything but. The racing scenes were a bit staged and there were a fair few liberties taken but I enjoyed it and thought they did a good job. Certainly a feel good film.

Onto the last season of The West Wing now. I think the quality was consistent from the get go. Really enjoyed it.

Line of Duty I will finish tomorrow. The last couple of seasons have lacked the quality of the first four.

I'm towards the end of season 2 of The Crown. I've really enjoyed this and the lass who plays the young Queen has been excellent

West Wing finished. Awesome show. Lower end of the top ten all time for me.
Line of Duty bit disappointed. Quality went down the last couple of seasons. Outside the top ten now
The Crown finished all four seasons. Enjoyed it, Olivia Coleman was immense, made the show. Her face when she was with Thatcher. Perfect acting.

I'm on Peaky Blinders now. Near the end of Season 3. Not bad. The older brother Arthur, he was deffo lined up to be gay at the end of season 1. They must have bottled it.

Films:
Rocketman 6/10. Not bad. Decent cast, maybe a bit long. Rob Stark probably too good looking to be the dodgy manager.
Breathless 8/10. So stylish, dates really well. Jean Seburg was some beauty. Love French cinema.
The Judge 7/10. I liked this for all courtroom dramas have been done to death. Downey Jnr is quality as is Duval. They were good together

West Wing finished. Awesome show. Lower end of the top ten all time for me.

Another fan - yeeay! Totally awesome, didn't want it to end. Think Santos would have made a different kind of President to have made enough story lines, plus Josh as COS and Sam back, although Rob Lowe probably only agreed that it was only for what it was, after flouncing off half way through before.

Shouldn't have been Santos winning, end re written after John Spencer died.
Toby would never have done what he did either if Sorkin still been in control.
Was telling someone at work the story told by Abbie in the episode written for after 9/11. He never knew that - I said see entertainment and educational at the same time.
Love re-watching them. Still don't know how they filmed Requiem - must have been so hard.

Downey Jnr is class. Chaplin should have got him an Oscar.

Downey Jnr is a brilliant actor and yes agree about Chaplin. I think his widely reported problems (now diagnosed as bipolar so explained why he was as he was) and subsequent jail time did not help his reputation.

Peaky Blinders...love, love, love! One series not so good as the others IMO (the Russian one) but just pure class acting, script and storylines. Helen McCory will be much missed as Aunt Polly, a role she just nailed. And Tom Hardy is superb too. Can’t wait for the next series.

Another fan - yeeay! Totally awesome, didn't want it to end. Think Santos would have made a different kind of President to have made enough story lines, plus Josh as COS and Sam back, although Rob Lowe probably only agreed that it was only for what it was, after flouncing off half way through before.

Was telling someone at work the story told by Abbie in the episode written for after 9/11. He never knew that - I said see entertainment and educational at the same time.
Love re-watching them. Still don't know how they filmed Requiem - must have been so hard.

Not just a brilliant series but some outstanding stand-alone episodes too, Requiem just one of several.

I'm now into series 6 of The Mentalist (for the third time, I think). Very lightweight (which I find I now need to keep me sane) but well-made and every case based on genuine cases. I reckon I'm secretly in love with Lisbon.

Chaplin is a brilliant film. Hopkins got the Oscar that year but think RDJ was robbed. Many years ago there was a documentary about the making of the film, really fascinating to watch the process of how it was made, no CGI used for the crowd scenes either. Not sure if it can found anywhere but was a good watch. Attenborough was a genius.

Yeah I didn't buy Santos winning, wasn't realistic for a two term liberal to be followed by someone even more to the left.

Agree with Toby. It was completely out of character.

Peaky Blinders...love, love, love! One series not so good as the others IMO (the Russian one) but just pure class acting, script and storylines. Helen McCory will be much missed as Aunt Polly, a role she just nailed. And Tom Hardy is superb too. Can’t wait for the next series.

Yea, that's the one I'm on now. Villain wise Paddy Considine isn't as good as Sam Neill and the plot seems a bit vague.

Last edited:
It's probably not everyone's cup of tea, and I'm possibly a little late to the party, but Hank Azaria's 'Broderick' - about the trials and tribulations of an alcoholic baseball-stadium announcer - is a proper riot.

Back