When will racing resume?

Slim

At the Start
Current Betfair markets:

Punchestown April 28th to take place - 7/1
UK Racing to Resume On Or Before May 1st - 9/2
Will Racing Go Ahead? Royal Ascot June 16th - 2/1

What is the first big meeting that would be odds on to ahead?

Last edited:
Current Betfair markets:

Punchestown April 28th to take place - 7/1
UK Racing to Resume On Or Before May 1st - 9/2
Will Racing Go Ahead? Royal Ascot June 16th - 2/1

What is the first big meeting that would be odds on to ahead?
You'd imagine that they'll re-jig the calendar but if they didn't and without checking the markets, Goodwood and/or Galway would look about evens?

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be surprised to see one racecourse being used to stage a selection of races from Punchestown and Fairyhouse festivals behind closed doors. At some date in early May and minus the usual sponsorship money.

You'd imagine that they'll re-jig the calendar but if they didn't and without checking the markets, Goodwood and/or Galway would look about evens?

The markets I quoted are the only markets available.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see one racecourse being used to stage a selection of races from Punchestown and Fairyhouse festivals behind closed doors. At some date in early May and minus the usual sponsorship money.

Quite possible but even more so for the flat. Breeders can't race pattern races not run even if it's in Dundalk behind closed doors.

I'm hoping for The English 1000 Guineas to go ahead with Irish horses allowed over. I reinvested winnings from Albigna last year @ 20's. I also included her in many Cheltenham multiples so have a paltry amount in addition to come from place doubles and trebles.:(.
The article Sim posted indicated that there would be a new set of entries which is somewhat upsetting. Lockdown, a losing Cheltenham, Harry Kane considering leaving Spurs, shareholdings crashing and now my only chance to restore finances disappearing up the Swanee. Great !! Back to the box sets.

I have resigned myself to nothing before June 1st. The rate of new infections has halved in recent days in Ireland, but without a full 14 day quarantine at arrivals I can't see them letting us off the leash. The six counties would of course need to be in lock step on policy and metrics.

Everbody on here seems optimistic, I don't think racing will resume until the Autumn, hopefully in time for The Open.

It would have a catastrophic impact on the flat yards and bookmakers were they not allowed to race until the Autumn in any shape or form.

I see the scenario more in line with the RP published proposals of running the races at dedicated tracks behind closed doors. Newmarket is an ideal candidate for one of those for obvious reasons and from a spectator perspective it'd make little difference given the fact it's not a particularly exciting venue to attend anyhow.

On course bookmakers will struggle, as will the sport in general but to a lesser extent than a complete shutdown.

The chances of the Irish horses coming over during that period though has to be slim to none so as previously mentioned, the breeding industry will be severely affected and it's hard to imagine that without the middle distance classics it's entirely feasible that we could well be deprived of the next Galileo.

I have resigned myself to nothing before June 1st. The rate of new infections has halved in recent days in Ireland, but without a full 14 day quarantine at arrivals I can't see them letting us off the leash. The six counties would of course need to be in lock step on policy and metrics.

What is the rationale of not closing the borders?

Everbody on here seems optimistic, I don't think racing will resume until the Autumn, hopefully in time for The Open.

Im thinking it could be then as well

Not a chance they'll allow mass gatherings before then

Another thing is i don't see the point of resuming racing unless the betting shops can open

Im thinking it could be then as well

Not a chance they'll allow mass gatherings before then

Another thing is i don't see the point of resuming racing unless the betting shops can open

We are all assuming they will start racing again behind closed door.

We are all assuming they will start racing again behind closed door.

Lets see what happens

You'd think by summer the capacity and ability to treat this virus will be much more advanced, more ventilators and an effective antiviral treatment hopefully

The more capacity they have the less severe restrictions will be put on the public

I am hoping the antibody detector test is a game changer. And somewhere, somehow, as I type, some pointy head in a white coat and a microscope is on the verge of the vaccine breakthough. The only unknown is who will play the scientist in the Oscar winning movie in 2023.

Penelope Cruz 69/1 on the machine will do for me.

Back