When will racing resume?

Randwick host the 2nd day of their championships on Saturday morning with a serious race meeting containing the Australian Oaks, 300K GBP Sydney Cup (featuring Raheen House, Mustajeer, Young Rascal et al) and 613K GBP QE Stakes where Addeybb takes his chance.

Jockey club have announced that the Guineas and Derby Festivals will not take place on scheduled dates

That would be weird without the Royal Procession etc

However its 2-7 on Betfair that the meeting will not go ahead

That would be weird without the Royal Procession etc

However its 2-7 on Betfair that the meeting will not go ahead

2/5 now. I did the like the part where they said it was for the good of the industry. The problem is can it really be run without the Guineas taking place first?

Had tickets booked for Derby day, usually go to the King George as well

I had a phone conversation with a mate last night and we agreed that it's possible the next big meeting we go to might not be until Cheltenham next year:(

Had tickets booked for Derby day, usually go to the King George as well

I had a phone conversation with a mate last night and we agreed that it's possible the next big meeting we go to might not be until Cheltenham next year:(

You and your mate are on the most pessimistic end of the spectrum. Most of the models have this being under control by the end of the summer.

You and your mate are on the most pessimistic end of the spectrum. Most of the models have this being under control by the end of the summer.

I do hope your right mate and i think you are

What worries me is the "second wave" in the autumn/winter that could put us back in the ****

I do hope your right mate and i think you are

What worries me is the "second wave" in the autumn/winter that could put us back in the ****

Yes but at that stage the NHS won't be swamped and they will be better prepared. I think we will be back racing behind closed doors in 4-5 weeks.

Whenever the jumps resume, the Rooneys won't be a part of it, this from Chris Cook in The Guardian

Paul and Clare Rooney have decided to quit jump racing altogether and are in the process of selling off the horses who represented them this season. The owners have been going through a gradual and very public cooling process in relation to the winter game, having at one stage been the most prolific of British-based owners.

The news was confirmed by Jason Maguire, racing manager for the couple, who said on Tuesday: “They’re just concentrating on Flat racing. They’ve decided they’re going to sell the jumpers.”
<aside class="element element-rich-link element--thumbnail element-rich-link--upgraded" data-component="rich-link" data-link-name="rich-link-2 | 1">
</aside> Asked for a reason why the Rooneys would take this action, Maguire replied: “I couldn’t tell you. They just said to me they want to put their energy into Flat racing. They’re giving the trainers some time to get them sold so the trainers can keep the horses.”

The navy and yellow colours of the Rooneys have had some high-profile successes over hurdles and fences in recent years, notably when Willoughby Court won the Ballymore at the Cheltenham Festival in 2017. If The Cap Fits did his bit with a thrilling victory over Roksana and Apple’s Jade in the Liverpool Hurdle at last year’s Grand National meeting, while Go Conquer won the Great Yorkshire Chase. The Last Samuri came close to winning the National itself in 2016, when beaten only by Rule The World.

At the end of 2018, the Rooneys told their trainers not to make any further entries at Cheltenham, having decided there was a higher risk of injury there but then changed their minds after their concerns were allayed by track officials.

Last year, they decided to cut back their string to focus on quality over quantity but their commitment to jumps racing was restated at the time and they ran 34 different horses in the current jumps season.

If The Cap Fits is to stay in training with Harry Fry, who said another owner in his yard had seized the chance to buy the horse. “We’re very grateful for the support we’ve had from the Rooneys,” Fry said.

“We’re sorry to see them ending their interest in jump racing. We’ve had some great days together and none more so than when If The Cap Fits won at Liverpool last year under a power-packed Sean Bowen ride.” Fry added that he had also found other owners for the promising youngsters Winningseverything and Get In The Queue.

Well don't believe for one minute Jason doesn't know...do they have any breeding operation running? Just wondering if they think they can stand stallions if they concentrate on the flat and get a couple of good ones?

I think the fact that they're deserting jumps just confirms what we already know about them. Now they're picking up all their toys and taking them to flat racing, although I wonder how long that'll last when it doesn't go their way after trying to compete with a much deeper pool of people with significantly deeper pockets than them.

So the BHA have extended the shutdown but this time with no fixed date and yet racing will be ready to resume when it needs to.

I’m glad that’s cleared up then.

Pessimistic outlook as Galway, at the very end of July, have confirmed that IF their festival does go ahead, it will be behind closed doors.

Pessimistic outlook as Galway, at the very end of July, have confirmed that IF their festival does go ahead, it will be behind closed doors.

With no jumps races it wouldn't be Galway anyway. They should just replace it with a shorter few days of the flat races.

Back