Who's your fav guitarist?

Peter Green was indeed a great player Clive..in the mid to late sixties he was alongside Clapton & Beck..some felt a better blues player than Clapton..there was a good documentary about him on about a year ago..a sad way he has ended up...when he was in Fleetwood Mac they were outselling the Beatles at their pinnacle

i can't believe you think Claptons tone weren't up to much Kri..anyone who hasn't listened to the Bluesbreakers "beano" album..has missed out on one most important guitar albums of the 60's...at that time unrivalled

Last edited:
Yes EC. Hes a lovely bloke too and is in better shape last few years.

I will say that as much as i am not at all a rock fan, Clapton has always been the one who takes my ear. He definately has something

Irish Guy called Declan Sinnott. Seem him play with Christy Moore live on a few occassions and was blown away.

Started thinking about this and then quickly realised that I cannot name any current guitarists! Sad ... but true. Just nothing grabs me at the moment. Went through various eras where any of the following were my favourites, Jeff Beck, Carlos Santana, Jimmy Page, Rory Gallagher, Kim Simmonds. Agree Clapton deserves to be in the top, but always left me a little cold, I found his playing unemotional. Wilko is indeed a fav as well. Hendrix sensational, a bit before my time even though I am a Dino, but also perhaps I was so young when I first saw him he scared the shite out of me! Although Jimmy Page/Jeff Beck in Yardbirds were pretty top of the range too. The husband loves Rush.

Eric clapton is allways called boring by fans of other guitar players,

ie, beck,green,page,hendrix.to my ears none of them could hold a

candle to his solo's on i'm so glad live version and crossroads 2nd solo

the best ever in my humble oppinion.

other players i admire,albert lee,vince gill,brian setzer,albert king (rip)

danny gatton(rip) mistery train on you tube is sublime.

Eric clapton is allways called boring by fans of other guitar players,

ie, beck,green,page,hendrix.to my ears none of them could hold a

candle to his solo's on i'm so glad live version and crossroads 2nd solo

the best ever in my humble oppinion.

other players i admire,albert lee,vince gill,brian setzer,albert king (rip)

danny gatton(rip) mistery train on you tube is sublime.

the Crossroads solo has in the past been questioned as being genuine in some quarters as it is so perfect on Crossroads..but boots of that concert prove it was never tampered with

Live Cream vol 2 has my favourite official live stuff on it..tales...DSOTH & Sunshine soar on that album..but WOF LCvol1 and Goodbye are amazing for the time they were recorded..Cream are a more important band than Zep in many ways..they invented Arena Rock..could improvise far better than Zep as well.

as good as the Cream recorded live stuff is..some of the boots blow some of them into the weeds performance wise..like i said..the Back Bay theater boot is unbelievable stuff..even Hendrix would have been proud. One of the first things Hendrix asked when he came to England with Chas Chandler..was to meet EC.

Eric Clapton is always called boring by people not old enough to have been around when he was in his heyday....his heyday being 64-71 in many people's mind...a little unfair as he has blasted some serious moments since then...but most of his stuff since then goes under my radar..and i'm a fan..so anyone not that keen is going to find that post 71 stuff drab.

He also suffers... the lifelong career..imagine had it been him not Hendrix that had died..Hendrix would then have had to develop for 40 years and hold himself up to possible criticism of musical direction..whereas he is in a time bubble where he never ages beyond 27 and his music is that of a young innovative person.

Look what a lifelong career has done to McCartney...it has exposed him as a rather weak song writer since his heydays with Lennon. His solo efforts to me are very average...Wings likewise.

Last edited:
this is shite sound quality..but this is the Back Bay concert...they kick off with probably the greatest SOYL version i've heard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mcxeJJAp4Y

EC on the Soth Bank Show at Ronnie Scotts with Buddy Guy..1987..still could do it when he wanted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFSOzYEmSZ8

no tone Kri? :)

this concert is also decent..particularly Old Love..which i think is pretty special stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1lFxgNj4WU

its not guitar wanking for sure,..but i hate that stuff..this isn't the sort of playing a lot of so called better plays can churn out..imo

I saw Gary Moore with Baker & Bruce in the 90's..BBM...Gary did a good job of trying to be in "Cream"..but he was no EC.

Last edited:
ook what a lifelong career has done to McCartney...it has exposed him as a rather weak song writer since his heydays with Lennon. His solo efforts to me are very average...Wings likewise.

Bloody hell... Hardly matters given that his output during that time was colossal.

Its a real myth that he couldnt write without lennons input (close watchers often said it was other way round more) Many of their greatest tracks were virtually macca's own

Lifelong careers can be productive (although its rare) probably best example of one that went through numerous forms and was continuously creative is Miles Davis

Last edited:
Bloody hell... Hardly matters given that his output during that time was colossal.

Its a real myth that he couldnt write without lennons input (close watchers often said it was other way round more) Many of their greatest tracks were virtually macca's own

Lifelong careers can be productive (although its rare) probably best example of one that went through numerous forms and was continuously creative is Miles Davis

but thats my point Clive...colossal..but then you have to carry on with it at that level..or people think you are past it..boring etc. EC had great success in the same time span as The Beatles..he's had to carry on building on it..what would the Beatles sound like now if they had done 40 years I wonder..if its owt like the Stones..God help us...the Stones just churn out mediocre albums.

I'm a big Hendrix fan..but there is no future expectancy with him to spoil that golden era.

check out that Old Love link Clive..what do you think?..don't listen to Back Bay..you won't like it;)

Cheers for putting those up, EC - but Clappers in '87 is demonstrating just what I tried to say about him - he's all high, rather squeally notes, and while the whole band show there is fine enough, I just don't feel enough tonal differences in Clappers' playing. But that's just me, hopelessly crap when trying to learn back in the 60s - I'd love to play as well as him, even if I don't think he's exciting to listen to. And by exciting, I mean someone whose playing can move your feelings around a whole range. I don't want to admire someone's technical skill - I want to feel a real change in my mood when I hear them play. Clapton I can tap my feet to, but as for thinking "Jeeeeez, this is something else!"? Uh, no. But's that's only me! He has zillions of fans who would still worship at his feet, so it's not like folks have to be won over to him.

Cheers for putting those up, EC - but Clappers in '87 is demonstrating just what I tried to say about him - he's all high, rather squeally notes, and while the whole band show there is fine enough, I just don't feel enough tonal differences in Clappers' playing. But that's just me, hopelessly crap when trying to learn back in the 60s - I'd love to play as well as him, even if I don't think he's exciting to listen to. And by exciting, I mean someone whose playing can move your feelings around a whole range. I don't want to admire someone's technical skill - I want to feel a real change in my mood when I hear them play. Clapton I can tap my feet to, but as for thinking "Jeeeeez, this is something else!"? Uh, no. But's that's only me! He has zillions of fans who would still worship at his feet, so it's not like folks have to be won over to him.

i find his playing less techniclal than say Gary Moore..Gary had technique but failed to move me much...i find that sort of player quite cold..to say they are blues players anyway

Last edited:
Confession time: Father, forgive me, for I have never heard Gary Moore play. Well, I might have done, but I don't know if he was in a band or not. I rarely took notice of the individuals in bands, just knew if I liked the sound of the group. If you have one of your most excellent clips, EC, I'd love to hear him.

It's interesting stuff as it's so personal, isn't it? You can get some guitar players who are technically brilliant but just don't move the soul, as you feel about Moore. Others who are also technically gifted but just add something that grips you. I suppose it's so like other forms of the arts, like painting, poetry, writing, plays, films - you love certain directors for the way they present the same genre as another, who you don't rate at all. Makes for good chat and the occasional ding over the head with a frying-pan when you diss someone's favourite.

aye its all personal taste..but EC does get unfair stick imo..he was major in the 60's..and when he wants to..he was still capable of mixing it with the best up to the 90's..not sure these days tbh..showing his age now obviously

i wish there was a clip of the Bob Dylan 30th concert from about 1992...they only have the other track he played on on you tube..its only out on VHS as far as i know..his version of Don't Think Twice is superb vocally and instrumentally..he blew everyon away at that concert

Gary Moore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFwg1Ue_wdM

a bit/lot of wankery going off..but technically great

Joe Bonamassa is similar..i like some of his stuff..but no soul

Last edited:
there's of wankery in it though Euro..always quite like Freebird but not really my fav stuff tbh

each to their own

i like to see what impresses people though..keep the clips coming

That's not wankery. It's a Festival in the glorious summer of '76. I doubt life got better for many people that attended that day.

EC, thanks a mill for putting up that Moore set - utterly absorbing. I listened to most of that with my eyes closed, just loving it. I'm not sure if running your guitar through pretty much everything you know how to do is 'wankery' any more than sax or drum players when they're allowed to cut loose, but to me that was just sparkling stuff, because there was terrific variety in tone. Nice solid work from drum and bass, too, keeping the set anchored. Brilliant. I'm just sorry I didn't know about him before, but I wasn't much into blues, per se, more rock stuff. That was a formidable talent, and I'm sorry to learn that he's dead. Couldn't have been much of an age.

I'm not sure I can agree with the alleged lack of tonal quality in EC's later-life playing.
He isn't among my top favourite guitarist list, but his particular 2-minute solo in Gin House Blues 3:05 -5:40 is my favourite solo of all -- for the tone he gets from "Blackie", the feeling and the near perfect technique of his playing. He is 54 years of age in this. I come back to this quite often.
(Well, if I'm honest it's my next favourite solo -- second only to Dimebag's solo in Pantera's live version of "Cowboys From Hell".) :rolleyes:

3:05 - 5:40
http://youtu.be/MjRI8LXChus?t=3m

Why are we making such a deal out of a musician's age? 54? That's not even an OAP! Think of the ages that whole swathes of musicians played on to - some right up to the day they died. Okay, singers' voices often go off because of the physical changes of old age, but unless they get arthritis in their hands, you've got old, really old blues and jazz guys going on into their 70s. And some of the real old-time bluesmen probably older than that.

I'm not making any issue out of his age ................... it's just I got the impression that a few folk seemed ( to me anyways) to be hinting that EC lost his "soul", hunger, passion, post-Mayall and post-Cream days. I was simply putting forward a clip which I believed suggested otherwise. :)

Donald 'Buck Dharma' Roeser of Blue Oyster Cult - check out double live album ' On Your Feet Or On Your Knees' (amazing cover on vinyl is a bonus)

Terrific solo on 'The Last Days of May'

That's not wankery. It's a Festival in the glorious summer of '76. I doubt life got better for many people that attended that day.

76 or not there is some guitar w@nking going off;)

Alvin Lee can play a thousand notes a second..but it don't thrill me that much

to me its not how many notes are played..or how hard a guitar is thraped..its about producing something i want to listen to again and again..freebird isn't in that category for me personally

even stuff like Steppin out by Cream doesn't interest me too much..too long without enough variation

Last edited:
I'm not making any issue out of his age ................... it's just I got the impression that a few folk seemed ( to me anyways) to be hinting that EC lost his "soul", hunger, passion, post-Mayall and post-Cream days. I was simply putting forward a clip which I believed suggested otherwise. :)

he lost the want to be a guitar god after Cream..thats why he looks so unhappy with Blind Faith at the hyde park gig..he wanted a change of direction after getting into music from big pink [the band]

i've tried to highlight a few times since then when he shows he can still turn it on

EC has never been flash..even though he has the chops to be so..i like that about him

whereas some show off fookers...;)

I'm not sure I can agree with the alleged lack of tonal quality in EC's later-life playing.
He isn't among my top favourite guitarist list, but his particular 2-minute solo in Gin House Blues 3:05 -5:40 is my favourite solo of all -- for the tone he gets from "Blackie", the feeling and the near perfect technique of his playing. He is 54 years of age in this. I come back to this quite often.
(Well, if I'm honest it's my next favourite solo -- second only to Dimebag's solo in Pantera's live version of "Cowboys From Hell".) :rolleyes:

3:05 - 5:40
http://youtu.be/MjRI8LXChus?t=3m

i'll have a listen to this later when i'm at home

Back