Willie Carson

He is so incompetent - his quizzing Yves St Martin about Allez France being a dual Arc winner when she only won once probably tops the lot . Yves looked at him as if he were mad.

I just can't get my head round how a jockey who rode at the highest level for many years can know so little about racing? While the BBC actually pay him a salary to talk absolute utter nonsense

Oh I missed that one! He's a lot better on RUK these days though and is one of those that manages to convey racing well to the masses on the beeb.

Obviously I'd like Willoughby, Mellish and Lydia to present it but you'd get about 19 viewers on terrestrial!

Persad gets a hard time though, he's improved a lot for me.

Hope Balding gets a gig on C4

C4 should clearly offer her the anchor for their new coverage - perhaps with Nick Luck - he can be annoying but he is bright and knows his stuff

The ideal team would be - Clare Balding, Nick Luck ,Alastair Down, Jim McGrath (Timeform), Emma Spencer , Ian Bartlett, Simon Holt - can't think of a jockey Francome is endlessly inaccurate and the BBC jockeys are all stiff before the camera and boring to listen to or idiots .

Perhaps they should keep Cattermole - if he is presenting at least he is not commentating.

The order of the boot for Tarnya, Tom Lee ( incapable of not putting at least three cliches in one sentence , Thommo, Plunkett

C
The ideal team would be - Clare Balding, Nick Luck ,Alastair Down, Jim McGrath (Timeform), Emma Spencer , Ian Bartlett, Simon Holt - can't think of a jockey Francome is endlessly inaccurate and the BBC jockeys are all stiff before the camera and boring to listen to or idiots .

McGrath is a pompous **** who just tips favs and my cat knows more than Emma Spencer.

Was going well until that point.

I'd like to see Hoiles and Chris Dixon involved too.

Carson deserves to be taken seriously when he is appraising horses in the parade ring, and he's also good on the breeding side.

I'd rather have the whole of the Timeform Radio team tbh...some very knowledgeable people.

I used to be a fan of JW for obvious reasons..but the bits i have heard recently make me think he's started talking a lot of boll0x

Last edited:
I'd rather have the whole of the Timeform Radio team tbh...some very knowledgeable people.

I used to be a fan of JW for obvious reasons..but the bits i have heard recently make me think he's started talking a lot of boll0x

How do you listen to these guessers on a PC???:whistle:

Agree with Ardross re C4 team but can we throw in the dreaded Graham with those exiting stage left, please!

The jockeys aren't great - ony Jason Weaver has any talent in front of a camera IMO, although I know he has his detractors on here. Thought Kevin Darley was going to be OK but he didn't progress and disappeared. Francome who I used to rate just looks at everything as though it should be a NH horse and he gets besotted with the idea that if a horse sweats between its back legs it will never win a race - erm? Has he checked Frankel???

C4 should clearly offer her the anchor for their new coverage - perhaps with Nick Luck - he can be annoying but he is bright and knows his stuff

Perhaps they should keep Cattermole - if he is presenting at least he is not commentating.

The order of the boot for Tarnya, Tom Lee ( incapable of not putting at least three cliches in one sentence , Thommo, Plunkett

Feck me - if that was the team i'd never watch TV racing again. Keep Luck, and Holt. Add in a few of the RUK crowd and that will do. There is zero need for fashion types, and ex bookies. Bring in Ted Walsh for the NH season and we're sorted.

Keep Luck, and Holt. Add in a few of the RUK crowd and that will do. There is zero need for fashion types, and ex bookies. Bring in Ted Walsh for the NH season and we're sorted.

Agreed. Down the years RTE seem to have the best sports presenters and panelists, which when you consider their budget is some achievement.

Back