Winx

Can't believe this.I just left the American Bar in Grill in Sukhumvit soi 8 Bangkok where I met 2 guys and we got talking about Black Caviar..they tell me some horse called.......you guessed it is even better............fook me it's small world

I had never heard of the horse until today.......weird or what?

she's beating average horses but beating them easily enough. would love to see her take on some of the top horses in europe.

Is Hartnell really much good? Consistently chases her home....slight reservation on that count.

If it's the same Hartnell that ran in the Queens Vase about 4 years ago then probably not.

Last edited:
Timeform have her on 133 and Hartnell on 128, which is hard to swallow. Imo two of the three most overrated horses in their recent annual (Hawkbill 125 the other)

i wonder if Black Caviar running about half a stone below her best at Ascot influenced them to take the cautious approach

For me she has started to look moody since the start of her 2017 campaign -I'm convinced that she will refuse to race one of these days.

I think they are scared of her being beaten, plus it's their 'winter' and she would have had a long campaign.

Not that at all it's the lack of opposition to her makes it a no win situation as explained by an Aussie commentator.

If she came over and got beat they would say she wasn't that good if she comes over and wins they will say she beat nothing.

That was pretty much the opinion of more than a few in the Aussie racing media and let's face it they are probably right

Timeform have her on 133 and Hartnell on 128, which is hard to swallow. Imo two of the three most overrated horses in their recent annual (Hawkbill 125 the other)

Impossible to say as long as Timeform and the handicapper keep bumping up horses because they win a Group race. She is a world record holder for winning Group races BUT Enable rated 128 and WinX rated 133 simply does not compute

Not that at all it's the lack of opposition to her makes it a no win situation as explained by an Aussie commentator.

If she came over and got beat they would say she wasn't that good if she comes over and wins they will say she beat nothing.

That was pretty much the opinion of more than a few in the Aussie racing media and let's face it they are probably right

They can think what they like: if she came over and was beaten, they would say long season, travelling, acclimation and all of those could be quite right. If she came over and won, and you know now what's going to turn up do you, they could say wow look an international superstar, travels all that way after a long season at home and beats all comers.

Is that you entire case? They can think what they like?

Considering she has had only had 2 runs this season compared to the 9 races Black Caviar had when running at Ascot I doubt very much they would make the same mistake if Ascot was the target.

No I do not know what will turn up but I do know Ribchester and Churchill won't and there's no miler in Europe at this moment in time rated anywhere near 133.

Ascot has nothing to offer in the way of prestige this time round, unless something drastically changes and there is no guarantee of that.

There is also a lot more money to be won in Australia for milers than Sprinters so the Ascot pot is hardly enticing
to the connections of Winx who have won over AUS$16,000,000 The cox Plate which she will be trained for is a Aus$3,000,000 race.
with a first prize about 5 times that of the QA

Black Caviar raced for about 1/2 of that so the Ascot prize was considered worth their while.

While we don't pay a lot of attention to Aussie racing when they do send something it is normally a Sprinter

Choisir won the King Stand and then 4 days later won the Golden Jub Jubilee and for good measure his son Starspangled Banner also won the King Stand

Then Takeover Target also won at Royal Ascot and was placed 5 times at the meeting and of course Black Caviar.

They are thinking you with respect are not

Spent half an hour tonight having a one to one chat with Hugh Bowman -top bloke,an absolute gentleman.Was very critical about the going at Royal Ascot -said it can finish a horse.

The bog deep ground in Ireland can finish a horse if you run a daisy cutting flat horse on it.

Not many are stupid enough to do that so what's his point?

Set the alarm and got up early to watch it; never seen her race live before and was worried that I'd jinx her in some way. To see all those crowds [and assume that most Australians were watching it, too] was awesome. Get quite emotional when I see history being made like that!

yeah the crowd shot after she crossed the line was fantastic. we can bash the form all we want but we've had nothing close to that in terms of support in my lifetime and i include frankel. the ozzies seem to really get behind their champions as we saw with black caviar.

regarding winx herself the form can definitely be picked at but i think that would always be the case with middle distance horses down under given how their focus is on sprinters.

i think, beside her tremendous consistency, the biggest hint that she's something pretty special are some of the sectionals she puts up. it's a shame she hasn't travelled to ascot etc but its a long old way and as we saw with black caviar, she could easily end up running half a stone short of her best here for various reasons.

She's been winning these good races for four years now, which says great things about her durability.

Back