York Races

Maxbet

Journeyman
2.10 Wednesday: Churchill Tyres Handicap (Class 2) (4yo+ 0-105) 6F Good To Soft

The ex H H Aga Khan owned horse Zarzyni now trained by the in-form David Barron, looks to have a great chance. An unlucky in running sh head defeat by Jabbarockie in The Scottish sprint cup at Musselburgh, Jabbarockie has since franked that form cozily under a 3Lb penalty, with an all-the-way win at Chester. Came From The Dark who was a further sh head behind in 3rd in the Musselburgh race has since gone up a further 9Lb for his unlucky sh head defeat behind Lazuli at Newmarket.
Definitely looks like a 6f horse and bred to get slightly further, Beaten only 2 Length's by Lope Y Fernandez at the Curragh over 6F as a 2-year-old. Does look to be real value at 7/1 generally, 10/1 bar, for a horse that appears to be at least 10Lb well in against a lot of first-time out challenges...

Last edited:
Interesting. Looks like I've got until Thursday to back him for the Derby!

Still think 10s or 12s is a bit short mind.

Last edited:
2.10 Wednesday: Churchill Tyres Handicap (Class 2) (4yo+ 0-105) 6F Good To Soft

The ex H H Aga Khan owned horse Zarzyni now trained by the in-form David Barron, looks to have a great chance. An unlucky in running sh head defeat by Jabbarockie in The Scottish sprint cup at Musselburgh, Jabbarockie has since franked that form cozily under a 3Lb penalty, with an all-the-way win at Chester. Came From The Dark who was a further sh head behind in 3rd in the Musselburgh race has since gone up a further 9Lb for his unlucky sh head defeat behind Lazuli at Newmarket.
Definitely looks like a 6f horse and bred to get slightly further, Beaten only 2 Length's by Lope Y Fernandez at the Curragh over 6F as a 2-year-old. Does look to be real value at 7/1 generally, 10/1 bar, for a horse that appears to be at least 10Lb well in against a lot of first-time out challenges...

Non Runner

One of the best meetings of the whole season, imo.

Lady in France 2.40 16/1- Course winner,3rd in Fremch gp1 on hvy, last backend, won twice after a break, and connections sponsor the race.

1.40 Shandaz 1.40 7/1

Magical Spirit 2.10 12/1
All prices B365, also bet in various combo's.

Last edited:
Hear hear! What a card.

1.40 An old shrewdie and forumite called Danny, (I think it was), put up Luigi Vampa at Goodwood last season where he ran well looking at one point like the winner. He comes in this race on the back of a win, he's on a decent mark, he ran fifth off just a 1lb higher mark in a big field here at York last season, but he can hopefully find the extra few pounds required now stepped up in trip to 1M4F.

2.10 Embour looks on the type of horse to go close here to exploit a mark of 93. This is a very open affair but Embour showed his well being when switched to Ruth Carr's yard from Richard Hannon's when winning first time out at Redcar this season. He was only raised 3lb which looks very fair. I feel Embour is a dark horse in this race.

2.40 Molatham (nap), beat the 118 rated Wichita as a two year and won his maiden at this track. He was third behind that horse last season. You can forgive Molatham a couple of average runs. He still looks potentially very smart, but he'll need to be to prevail here.

Good luck with yours, Reet.

Last edited:
I backed Noon Star for the Musidora yesterday at 4s. Never trust a Varian at a short price, esp one that has been "working" the house down.

Showalong also very backable at around 5/1 in the 5f handicap on Friday. Very eye catching last week.

Flyin’ Solo - Wednesday 4:50 - had a good win at Newbury three weeks ago for his first run on turf. He was slowly away so had to come from well off the pace and he moved through strongly from 2 furlongs out to go into the lead inside the last half furlong and kept on well. The extra couple of furlongs here will suit him nicely and he has Rossa Ryan on his back (again) who is going great guns at the moment.

Last edited:
Interesting, Max. I must admit I hadn't factored in possible soft ground.

Luigi Vampa is a French bred trained by a French trainer so fingers crossed he can act on it.

Embour has no form on soft.

Molatham does have a group 3 win to his name on soft.

Molatham does have a group 3 win to his name on soft.

Is it raining there now? I'm reluctant to commit to a bet in this as Oxted might be pulled if it's really soft and opposing the front three in the market is the way into this race.

Is it raining there now? I'm reluctant to commit to a bet in this as Oxted might be pulled if it's really soft and opposing the front three in the market is the way into this race.

It's raining where I am in the North East.

Gd-ST I'm hoping for.

Fingers crossed that it escapes the really heavy bursts. They’ll turn the going in a flash.

Fingers crossed that it escapes the really heavy bursts. They’ll turn the going in a flash.

I've been to the Dante meeting 3 times. The year the weather was terrible I gave up betting on day 3. I didn't do the 3 days again after that. It is a horrible punting track on really soft ground.

Last edited:
I think BRIAN THE SNAIL 18/1 is worth a go tomorrow.seems to handle all goings.been running well in stakes races.on sporting life they had him running off 102 so off a mark of 91 would give him a chance.drawn 19 which I'm uncertain about.
Typical hard sprint hcap.

Have backed Uncle Bryn 12/1 B365 for the Dante, a race his trainer has done well in previously. Notable that he's Frankies choice and theyve taken the trouble to give him a run at Epsom.
Also taken 33/1 for the Derby.

1.40 - Sam Cooke 9/1 5pl - was 7/2jf for the November Handicap off a pound higher last backend but was never sighted in the race so it’s probably a performance best written off. He was on curve at that point and is taken to resume it here at a nice price. Dubai Souq looked a likely improver at the end of his juvenile season but presumably had problems last season. He could be one of those disappointing 3yos who bounce back a year later. Labeebb, Ilaraab and Taqareer are profile horses for profile trainers but they are at shorter prices while Shandoz heads the market closely followed by My Frankel. It’s a very competitive race but I’m happy to take Sam Cooke each-way against the field rather than dutch four or five. No doubt either Maifalki or Glasses Up, the rank outsiders and drawn quite wide, will end up being withdrawn to bring the field down to 15. I expect the bookies will make it worth connections’ while to come up with an excuse.

Final Song in the 2.40 at 11/1 or 12/1 looks good to me.

I like this one too:

Dettori is a very interesting booking for Final Song. Some of her rivals may have under-performed in the Al Quoz but it was a G1 and worth nearly half a million to the winner. With so many ifs and buts about so many of this field, maybe an each-way bet on her for the sake of an interest is the safe call.

I've taken 12/1 to 4 places but 14s are there without the extra place.

I think BRIAN THE SNAIL 18/1 is worth a go tomorrow.seems to handle all goings.been running well in stakes races.on sporting life they had him running off 102 so off a mark of 91 would give him a chance.drawn 19 which I'm uncertain about.
Typical hard sprint hcap.

Fahey’s comments:

I think six furlongs here will probably suit him better than the five at Chester last week. He came out of that race well and has been in good form. The handicapper has given him a chance on turf but this is a typically wide-open York sprint. They’re very hard to win.

Ps: he has Mr Lupton in the race as well with Hanagan up.

Last edited:
Back