York Races

Interesting runner in the same race is Hey Jonesy. Won the Wokingham last year off three pounds lower when blinkered, ran in a too far pipe opener at Thirsk three weeks ago and has the blinkers back on for today - 25/1 though, so no interest atm.

Interesting runner in the same race is Hey Jonesy. Won the Wokingham last year off three pounds lower when blinkered, ran in a too far pipe opener at Thirsk three weeks ago and has the blinkers back on for today - 25/1 though, so no interest atm.

On my radar too but I haven't backed it. I reckon they won't want to go up the weights any before Ascot. But it's this kind of over-thinking that has been my downfall before.

My picks in the 1.40 and 2.10, Luigi Vampa and Embour have drifted in price quite substantially.

So having done them in an each way patent with Molatham I just hope the market has got it wrong and they may still out run the odds to grab a place.

You never know

Good luck all today.

Last edited:
I’m against Noon Star in the Musidora -I believe she is priced up on the basis of her connections and sexy breeding.I think the fact that she ran at Wetherby is a negative and that race was fairly poor.At 2.7 I will be taking her on for a decent chunk.

1.40 - Sam Cooke 9/1 5pl - was 7/2jf for the November Handicap off a pound higher last backend but was never sighted in the race so it’s probably a performance best written off. He was on curve at that point and is taken to resume it here at a nice price. Dubai Souq looked a likely improver at the end of his juvenile season but presumably had problems last season. He could be one of those disappointing 3yos who bounce back a year later. Labeebb, Ilaraab and Taqareer are profile horses for profile trainers but they are at shorter prices while Shandoz heads the market closely followed by My Frankel. It’s a very competitive race but I’m happy to take Sam Cooke each-way against the field rather than dutch four or five. No doubt either Maifalki or Glasses Up, the rank outsiders and drawn quite wide, will end up being withdrawn to bring the field down to 15. I expect the bookies will make it worth connections’ while to come up with an excuse.

Looked to finish sixth. Sod's law. Maybe used up a bit too much energy in the first half of the race but it looked like a trier and that's all I ask. I beat the sp comfortably too.

I think it was a strong race and the form will stand up well. The winner is Group class. The runner-up was chucked in on its old form but I chickened out of putting it on the Longshot thread (and backing it) because I don't trust the jockey. It's gonna be one of them days...

Last edited:
I’m against Noon Star in the Musidora -I believe she is priced up on the basis of her connections and sexy breeding.I think the fact that she ran at Wetherby is a negative and that race was fairly poor.At 2.7 I will be taking her on for a decent chunk.

Yeah she's gone short now. Happy with 4s though.

Other bet today is a Molatham/Rifleman ew double. Both 4 places.

Last edited:
I think Embour just missed out on sixth place by a nostril. Out ran the odds but looks like I won't get the each way.

Last edited:
I've gone in early for tomorrow's 1.40 with Copper Knight at 8/1. He's been a barge-pole horse for me for some time but I liked the way he ran last week and if that was a sign of a return to some sort of form then we're getting 8/1 about an even money shot. He was rated 106 through most of 2019 and was put back up to that mark after his seasonal return last year but things started going downhill after that and he ended up dropping to 84. Dunted back up a negligible pound after Chester, the old Copper Knight would leave this field for dead. The top weight in this race is rated only 100 but has to give him 15lbs. He either wins easily or blows out and at the price I'm happy to pay to find out.

I think I classify my losers in the good the bad or the ugly catagory.

That Molatham was damn ugly.

Mixed feelings. I kept looking at Snowfall cos it was running in G1s last year but decided just to stick to my guns and not have a bet. I thought Noon Star and Teona ran good Oaks trials too and both will probably close the gap substantially with the winner if they meet again.

But I'm more than happy to have good money going on to Santa Barbara at 8/1.

I fancy three tomorrow but I open my mouth they drift to treble the price so I best not mention them.

The Dante looks a competitive race.

Last edited:
I feel awful when I back a horse and that happens. I can remember Clare Balding writing an article saying the same thing years ago.

Hard to see Noon Star going to Epsom after that -what a headbanger Teona is but if she was ever going to get away with it this would be the year.

For tomorrow

1.40 - I thought a good long shot here was Indian Sounds. Formerly trained by Mark Johnston, now trained by a trainer who is probably more familiar with five furlong sprinters in Paul Midgely.

Indian Sounds successfully stepped up in class when winning a class six, to class five, to class four last season. He was then only touched off a nose by Watchable in a class three. So he's a horse who can go up in class and cut the mustard.

While Indian Sounds clearly has not been at the races the last couple of times, they choose to run him in a valuable handicap here off a low weight which he'll love and so maybe if he can get back to very best form and improve a few lbs he will make 33/1 look a silly price.

In the 2.40 my main horse is Kynren who is being backed early, a horse we know is very good on his day, and probably on a very fair rating now if he puts his best foot forward. I also think Hayley Turney rides a horse who is too big a price called Gloves Lynch. This horse started off with Gordon Elliot's before switching to Michael Wighams yard. He's not been out of the places the last five starts. He might out run the odds on such a low weight.

I saw the money early for Jim Bolgers horse in the Dante and took the price each way. Flying Visit dissapointed a few times last season but since then he was gelded and ran a good second to Bolshoi Ballet the last day, when only beaten two lengths. There's a possibility the gelding operation will see Morning Visit run his best race tomorrow.

I've done two each way patents covering those two different selections in the 2.40.

Last edited:
I've got a tracker alert through this evening for Royal Champion in the Dante (8/1). I was going to leave it alone because it will need to improve a lot to win but the stable has already won two trials so I wonder if they've saved their best candidate for this. At 50s for the Derby, though, it wouldn't need to win to shorten up. It would just need to run the better horses close. Might be another worth having onside at long odds.

At this rate I'll have more than half the field covered :lol:

High Definition 12/1
Derab 50/1
Cleveland 25/1
Ayadar 50/1
Yibir 25/1
Mac Swiney 14/1
Gear Up 40/1

A bit of a mixed bag, it has to be said...

Back