Zarooni

How come only a vet's assistant was there - and this " assistant " chose not to ask what he was injecting ? I find that extraordinary .

Dear Sheikh M - if you need somewhere for all these horses to be trained they might have a few spare boxes at Warren Place and Freemason Lodge

"It's unfortunate that England has this rule" Australian Trainers Association President Colin Alderson commenting on Uk doping rules.

It is unfortunate Australia doesn't.

I am finding the BHA's fawning over Godolphin's co-operation hard to stomach . Surely , there are significant questions to answer such as

1 Why did al Zarooni like Sheikh M's endurance horse trainer think that administering steroids was acceptable at all - or were the pressures on them to achieve such that they resorted to these methods ?

2 Zarooni is a salaried trainer - why had Godolphin not ensured he was properly trained in the BHA's rules ?

I agree with both points Ardross. Simon Crisford was neglegible in his duties.

As for the Aussie stance on steroid use, I feel their horses should be banned from competing in Europe.

Frankly , for transparency sake and as Godolphin is an organisation with salaried trainers I think all bin Suroor's horses should be tested too .

I don't for a moment expect they will find anything but I think it would prevent any suspicion .

When you read stories like that you have to wonder why are people so willing to break the rules. Is it because the BHA have got it wrong? I just read an article that said horses in Australia are given steroids and it's legal as long as they don't administer then while racing.

I really don't know enough to judge but what I do know is I am all for treating sick horses if it means they can do the job they were bred to do. I still think they should change the rules when it comes to blood clotting agents.

I am however dead against a drug that makes a completely healthy horse go faster or increases his stamina limits. That to me is blatant cheating.

However if a horse has dodgy knees and a vet advises steroids to build them up or heal them I would say go for it but only if healing is all a particular steroid does.

Obviously the Australian agree with that but the BHA don't.

I really wish the BHA would get together with the best vets and trainers in the game and revamp the rules where needed.

If we have trainers and vets disagreeing or ignoring the BHA rules then someone has got it wrong and perhaps a revamp would prevent these bad for racing stories from springing up ever other month or 6.

This paragraph jumped out at me from that piece:

"It did not cross my mind that there could be any problem with this medication," he said. "And, judging from the fact that the BHA said nothing about it when they saw my medical book, it does not seem to have crossed their minds, either. Little Black Book ran on 4 August, and won a couple of weeks later, so they would have known he was clearly in training at the time. In the medical book, I signed that I had authorised use of the drug, and my vet had countersigned for its administration. Sungate had for some time been widely used in their practice, with very beneficial results for joint injuries."

If I understand that correctly the BHA have effectively failed to act on a trainer effectively admitting that he had administered a substance containing steroids to horses clearly in training? Surely that alone could have serious ramifications?

Last edited:
and this " assistant " chose not to ask what he was injecting

strangely a vets assistant apparently has no training as a vet he doesnt need to know what he is doing his job is merely to assist (ie take orders and obey them) so with the actual vet missing the trainer has a "freehand"

Thanks, DG. Paragraphs 3.9 and 3.12 are quite startling, to say the least:

3.9 Al Zarooni explained at interview that his knowledge of the drug came from working in Dubai where use of anabolic steroids in training is permitted. He told the Investigating Officer that he thought the drug could be used if the horse was not racing. Al Zarooni confirmed that he had not recorded the administration of any of the anabolic steroids in the stable's Medication Books. He could offer no explanation for this omission.

3.12 Al Zarooni explained to the Panel that in Dubai anabolic steroid drugs are given to horses in training. Having received the drug, the horses are only allowed to race following elapse of the 28 day withdrawal period for the drug.

In my naivety I had thought all racing jurisdictions banned the use of steroids other than in exceptional circumstances. I was obviously wrong.

The vet says it is generally thought the advantages from taking steroids can last for up to six months, in which case testing on the day of competition is relatively meaningless. It might be a better use of resources to test only a random proportion of winners and do more stable visits instead.

Thanks, DG. Paragraphs 3.9 and 3.12 are quite startling, to say the least:

In my naivety I had thought all racing jurisdictions banned the use of steroids other than in exceptional circumstances. I was obviously wrong.

The vet says it is generally thought the advantages from taking steroids can last for up to six months, in which case testing on the day of competition is relatively meaningless. It might be a better use of resources to test only a random proportion of winners and do more stable visits instead.

So does anyone believe this was his first offence?

According to the RP site, Zarooni has used his Facebook page to ask for opinions on if he should appeal. Very bizarre.....

I presume Sheikh Mohammed has control of Dubai racing.
It is surely in his best interest to ban use of steroids out of training there if his international stance on clean racing is to be taken seriously, or am I being over simplistic?

So does anyone believe this was his first offence?
A well known pundit said recently that it has been suspected/known he's been using steroids for ages. Apparently when his 2 year olds entered the paddock with other young horse they looked big Arnie V Danny Devito.

It seems anyone who was anyone knew what was going on but the man at the very top never. Of course they never do :whistle:

Back