Zulu Chief - 2.00 Newmarket

N

numbersix

Do any of the Irish based members on here know if Zulu Chief is a good thing tomorrow?

The Wood Ditton has become something of a disappointment in recent years so it is very interesting O'Brien debuts this 3 parts borther to Hawk Wing in this contest. He is entered in everything and it would be good to know how he is performing on the gallops.

But it's only a maiden race for horses who've never run before!

There's no reason to expect the winner to be any more than useful.

Yes Ven, but it used to be The maiden didn't it? It's a pity that one of the genuine oddities of the flat calendar (ie a maiden race contested by the best regarded unraced maidens in training) should have fallen to what it has become, viz an ordinary maiden recently run in divisions of a dozen runners.

Yes, you're right - I can remember when Pinturischio, the winter ante-post favourite for the 1961 2000 Guineas won this race.

Up until around 60 years ago, the Wood Ditton was a 6f maidens at closing race, won by horses like Derby winner Captain Cuttle and top sprinter and sire Golden Cloud.

Thanks guys, I take it nobody knows whether this O'Brien charge is a good thing or not?

Has he had runners in this race before? I got the impression he hadn't and therefore this made him stand out more than the others. Also I seem to recall the name being mentioned as a bit of a talking horse a while back. We shall see.

Seems to have become fashionable to slag the Wood Ditton these days.

Hislop and Mellish were sniggering away about the winner of last year's race yesterday.

Not the end of the world I suppose, but the race did seem to have a certain mystique, especially to some of us "coffin-dodgers". :cry: :cry: :cry:

I got told yesterday morning that Gosden's MOONSHAKE is well regarded and their bet of the week and they will be disappointed it does not go close. Then they had four winners yesterday so im on this one.

Originally posted by fudge@Apr 17 2008, 11:36 AM
I got told yesterday morning that Gosden's MOONSHAKE is well regarded and their bet of the week and they will be disappointed it does not go close. Then they had four winners yesterday so im on this one.
Thanks for that fudge. Looks as if he is well fancied judged by current price v RP forecast so must be working with some of their better types. The Chapple-Hyam talking horse would put me off backing it a 2s now.

Interesting he runs Upton Grey at Ripon in the same colours - this one was mentioned by him as a 2 year old to follow last season, so I wonder whether a winter on his back will see some of that potential realised. Maybe worth a double?

Originally posted by Galileo@Apr 17 2008, 11:23 AM
The market will tell the story for this one...boring but true.
And the market says "NO"!!!!!!!!!!! Out to 3s!!

Is it just me or does his tail stick up in the air oddly?

(Or maybe he just needs a moment behind the bushes)

Nick Shiambouros gave the thumbs up from the paddock in terms of readiness to Zulu Chief and to Abstract Colours

Zulu Chief and one or two others in behind will prove much the better than the first two in time. I think Murtagh has forgotten he has a whip this season!

Originally posted by Galileo@Apr 17 2008, 02:19 PM
Zulu Chief and one or two others in behind will prove much the better than the first two in time. I think Murtagh has forgotten he has a whip this season!
Horses shouldnt have a hard race on their debuts, they should learn to enjoy racing in my opinion. Thats why most end up as pigs with blinkers etc on in the end. And thats what a lot of the decent trainers tell their jockeys too, as for Ravens Pass like Gosden said today was about getting a run into him without having a hard race.

Fudge, totally agree horses shouldn't be beaten up, but equally the rules do state jocks should "ride horses to achieve the best possible finishing position", not "ride them considerately with bigger future prizes in mind".

Originally posted by numbersix@Apr 17 2008, 06:35 PM
Fudge, totally agree horses shouldn't be beaten up, but equally the rules do state jocks should "ride horses to achieve the best possible finishing position", not "ride them considerately with bigger future prizes in mind".
Like ive said in the Ravens Pass thread the rules about riding to the best possible placing does not state that you have to pick up your stick.

12 Jul 2008 4:30 (Four Day) at CURRAGH, Keeneland International Stakes (Group 3)
12 Jul 2008 5:30 (Four Day) at CURRAGH, Peter Keatley Curragh Groundcare Maiden
24 Jul 2008 8:00 (Five Day) at LEOPARDSTOWN, Meld Stakes (Group 3)
26 Jul 2008 4:20 (Five Day) at ASCOT, King George VI And Queen Elizabeth Stakes (Group 1)
30 Jul 2008 3:30 (Five Day) at GOODWOOD, BGC Sussex Stakes (Group 1)
10 Aug 2008 2:45 (Five Day) at CURRAGH, United Arab Emirates Racing And Equestrian Federation Royal Whip Stakes (Group 2)
19 Aug 2008 2:15 (Five Day) at YORK, Ladbrokes Great Voltigeur Stakes (Group 2) (Colts & Geldings)
19 Aug 2008 2:50 (Five Day) at YORK, Juddmonte International Stakes (Group 1)
23 Aug 2008 3:10 (Five Day) at GOODWOOD, totesport.com Celebration Mile (Group 2)
6 Sep 2008 3:50 (Five Day) at LEOPARDSTOWN, Tattersalls Millions Irish Champion Stakes (Group 1)

Back