2 Year olds 2009

The two year old colts maiden at Leopardstown looks hooooooottttttttt….

Watch the blood pressure, Gal... :D

I was quite taken by Sent From Heaven in the Prestige Stakes. She was all out at the finish to record a fairly unimpressive time, but she went a very generous gallop from the outset and I was impressed by the way she took three or four lengths out of the field when asked to quicken a couple of furlongs out.

She looked slightly ill at ease with the undulations, which might not bode well for her Guineas prospects; even so, 40/1 looks too big to me about a filly that certainly has the physical scope to continue progressing.

Trackside I mentioned earlier in the thread about her Maiden win at Kempton, I was very taken by her and I am pleased someone else is thinking along the same lines :)

CONNIPTION 3.50 SALISBURY

Brian Meehan saddles Conniption in the Dick Poole at Salisbury on Thursday; the 2 year old filly looks to step up on her impressive debut at Newbury were she is by far one of the most exciting prospects on the clock this year in terms of maiden winners.

Conniption is a daughter of Danehill Dancer; a sire that produces two year olds who are very much speed influenced who generally go onto progress well in time especially over a mile. She is out of a mare called Showbiz who was a winning 2 year old for David Wachman going on to place in listed company over 10 furlongs at 3, she is a full sister to Shangri La who was put into the 1000 Guineas trial at Leopardstown on her debut for Aiden O’Brien coming 3rd in the process and Showbiz is also a half sister to Hanzano a useful miler from Scandanavia winning 7 races from 49 starts picking up just over £150,000 in prize money.

Brian Meehan’s filly made her debut on the 17th of July at Newbury on ground described as soft, she went off at 12-1 but despite this lack of confidence in the market she went and put in an impressive display of acceleration. Martin Dwyer took the ride and got off to a tardy start as she was slow breaking from the stalls but managed to hold a decent position in the first furlong due to lack of early pace, Asaab brought them along to into the final 3 furlongs where Conniption was running relatively green and the gaps began to appear inside the 2 furlongs where Martin Dwyer has asked for an effort, although taking a while to respond it wasn’t long before she mowed down her target Poppy Seed inside the final furlong with a blistering turn of foot to win by 4 and half lengths.

The race could have been lost in the first few furlongs but it certainly was won in decisive fashion during the last 100 yards, if you take a look theres nothing between her and Poppy Seed inside the final half a furlong then all of a sudden a widening gap emerges as Conniption powers home towards the line which is a taking performance considering the soft ground were prominent types could be deemed to have an advantage, despite running green and missing the break she came from off the pace to show an electric turn of foot in a time that suggests she could be pretty special if she continues to progress with her obvious talents.

The breeding suggests that she shouldn’t have too much problem getting the mile next year but today will be a big step for her, despite running 6 lengths quicker than the listed race over 6 furlongs for 2yos on the card that Duplicity won she still is by no means a classic filly yet but has put down a marker of intent.

Bets

Conniption - 3.50 Salisbury 5/2

Conniption - 1000 Guineas 40/1 Bet365

Good write up. I really liked Sweet Sonnet prior to Ascot where she disappointed, but 25/1 is a crazy price for the Godolphin filly today, and is certainly worth an interest.

Sweet Sonnet beaten into second by 3/4 of a length. It would have been a big, big win for me, but had a little on the place.

The prices were all wrong.

Conniption threw all her chances away hanging but I wouldn't be put off her yet.

7.20 KEMPTON

Silk Slippers - Interesting John Murphy has come over from Ireland to race here maybe the ground is too desperate out there at the moment, he is though 1 from 2 with his 2 year olds at Kempton although not much data to go on its still a successful track unlike Dundalk were he is 0-15 with his 2 year olds.

Theres just a feeling I get that reading her pedigree she could be a decent sprinter but I am a bit sceptical about her relatives who've won from 6 furlongs ranging to 2 miles but now we know Oasis Dream can have an effect with his progeny over all sorts of distances I am hoping on him to bring out the speed in this pedigree especially with Indian Ridge lurking down the line a combination thats already produced Sioduil in Ireland a real game consistant progressive sprinter for Jim Bolger.

10-1 EW

Also I like the look of these;

2.20 LINGFIELD

Edward Lear a horse that caught my eye reading the RP this morning, I think that his future will be over a staying trip from 3 onwards but should be one to note down although it wouldn't be impossible for him to place today especially with a strong pace which could help so I've only had a speculative EW.

33/1 EW

6.50 KEMPTON

Musaafer - really interesting runner for Michael Jarvis who holds Royal Lodge, Dewhurst and Racing Post trophy entries, theres undoubted speed throughout the dams bloodline and with Marju being brought into the equation I am sure this horse has the making of a very good miler, you can still get 3-1 of there abouts.

3-1 WIN

Mendip - Not a cheap American purchase but a bonny colt who has his own way of doing things. Took the eye with Marine Spirit (runaway winner at Folkestone this week) in a recent spin and a nice backward colt to look out for.

Really nice debut from this fella this evening. Ran green when asked to pick up but lengthened really nicely when he got the message. Looks middle distance colt in the making. Second horse after Najd off this list that I have backed so again many thanks Flame, even if the price was very skinny.. The bookies knew as well. The 2nd was well backed a ran a good race after being left at the start amd I think both horses will be worth keeping on the right side of.

Flame, if you can answer this for me, I had a look at Godolphin's website for Nashama who you seem very keen on. Strangely, even though she is entered up in some of the sales races she is not listed as being in training? There are other unraced colts and fillies who are listed - Any reason for that? Injury perhaps. I was planning to back her on debut as well..

Really nice debut from this fella this evening. Ran green when asked to pick up but lengthened really nicely when he got the message. Looks middle distance colt in the making. Second horse after Najd off this list that I have backed so again many thanks Flame, even if the price was very skinny.. The bookies knew as well. The 2nd was well backed a ran a good race after being left at the start amd I think both horses will be worth keeping on the right side of.

Flame, if you can answer this for me, I had a look at Godolphin's website for Nashama who you seem very keen on. Strangely, even though she is entered up in some of the sales races she is not listed as being in training? There are other unraced colts and fillies who are listed - Any reason for that? Injury perhaps. I was planning to back her on debut as well..

They don't put their 2yo's on their websites until they are entered to run in a maiden or so on. Not all their big race entrants are on there.

Najd is dead by the way.

Dynasty is Danehill Dancers first Montjeu nick? how has this horse escaped Luca Cumani considering his success with the dam and her mother?

National Stakes next Saturday....loads of rain about today and forecast to last through to Tuesday. The Curragh drains so slowly these days that testing ground is assured for the likes of Alfred Nobel. I wonder will Arctic be given a chance in this?

They don't put their 2yo's on their websites until they are entered to run in a maiden or so on. Not all their big race entrants are on there.

Najd is dead by the way.

That is a shame, looked a nice colt in the making.

I'll keep a look out for Nashama then.

That Dynasty didn't look in love with the game on Saturday. It was mentioned to me before the race by a decent judge that he didn't want to know at Fairyhouse and looked similar in the closing stages on Sat. Either that or he's very green.

That Dynasty didn't look in love with the game on Saturday. It was mentioned to me before the race by a decent judge that he didn't want to know at Fairyhouse and looked similar in the closing stages on Sat. Either that or he's very green.

yup head up....what's the word...'recalcitrant'

Last edited:
I think he travelled like much the best horse in the Acomb, was by far the last off the bridle and I put him not winning down to his over-exuberance and cut gum at the start, or the ground being a shade too quick. I think he goes to the National Stakes with a real chance.

Irish National Stakes

Air Chief Marshall
Alfred Nobel
Await The Dawn
Beethoven
Black Quartz
Cape Blanco
Chabal
Emperor Claudius
Free Judgement
Kingsfort
Lastofthemohicans