2 Year olds 2009

red jazz didn't really win like a 1/2 shot in the end, a classic example of a horse that looks impressive when winning by 5 lengths but in a moderate time

I wouldn't have touched walkingonthemoon today

the main reason for noting decent maiden times is to follow the placed horses in other maiden races...unless you spot a gem like Monsieur Chevalier of course..thats my angle anyway..a 75 rating in the context of todays race wasn't high for walkingonthemoon... and the going was different to the debut run

looks like no one else on here spots decent 2yo's;)

maybe only irish ones are of interest ;)

Last edited:
purely on times the going was perfect GOOD ground today..unless a headwind was present..this is at odds with what the jocks said...leave it with you:rolleyes:

RED JAZZ earned the highest speed figure I've clocked this year for a 2yo ... 112.

It's too early to think about the Coventry imo but todays race is a decent listed/G3 time..so RJ needs improvement..which could be the case over further..need to factor in how he will perform on really quick ground as well though.

interesting that the one that 2nd behind him at Windsor finished further behind Monsieur Chevalier afterwards..but the Windsor race may have flattered the 2nd imo.

Some nice 2yo races today problem is Talking Horses vs 2nd time outs will have a look hopefully back later with my findings

Hi all i always like to have 2yo's with experience this early in the season so
2.00 R LADY LUBY RYE (JONNYLEARY best newcomer)
2.10 F LAST ORDERS only because i dont like anything else in this
2.30 R OUT THE RING forgetting its last run going on the promise of its 1st run against Star Rover (LAIRY best newcomer)
5.35 Y TIRODITO Thomas Baines would win this with any jockey but that clown Spencer
all the best
Larry

The rail at Goodwood looks lightening fast too - look at the winner of the 2yo race and Harlech Castle in the sprint.

There should be a rule not to allow 2-year-olds to run two days in a row! Shame on P D Evans, I have to say.

Tend to agree with you, Crazyhorse. The horse had to travel from Chester to Goodwood as well.

Right, just said that to West Tip as well. Its not exactly round the corner, either. He sort of did run well, brave little thing, but what a gutsy race he ran yesterday in chester. and I have to admit I would have said it had he won. not much good in racing in germany, but 2-years-olds arent even allowed to run now ! first race for them over here is end of may at the baden-baden meeting. and thats pretty early considering when some are born.

I'm just reading this thread for the first time...

I must take a note of some of those mentioned and check them for myself. You'll see in the thread dedicated to last Saturday's racing that I have Monsieur Chevalier already on a time rating that you'd want a Royal Ascot winner to hit. It will be interesting to see how the others mentioned compare.

Could you check to see what you think of Red Jazz's last run DO?

I got that as the best run this year by a 2yo on the clock..a fair bit in front of MC.

There was a decent 2yo time yesterday ..WHOZTHECAT..in the 2.20 at Redcar..I made it a 90 sf.

Horse to note

Behind Whozthecat in 2nd, ORPEN ARMS must be followed next time, especially in a fillies only maiden, she was the only one able to come from off the pace and has run a very good FTO..if she don't win next time on similar going I would be a bit disappointed. Looking at her pedigree I would think she would be crying out for 6f ...which again makes this run all the more creditable. I would still fancy her over a stiff 5 though.

One for the horse reminder.

Does anyone know of a decent horse reminder site by the way?

Could you check to see what you think of Red Jazz's last run DO?

Checked last night. It was at Ascot so I'd have reservations to begin with as the standard times I use are taken from before the new surface was laid.

However, in terms of comparisons with other races that day on the straight course (new turf) it works out at 97, which is still very good. I have Monsieur Chevalier on 103 but the figures are based on pounds and not lengths.

Any opinions on the 2yo event at York today?

Decent race at Naas tonight as well featuring King Ledley, Steinbeck and Gold Bubbles.

The market should be fascinating for the Naas event. Gold Bubbles was really impressive at Leopardstown beating a subsequent Ballydoyle winner in the process.

Fratellino ran a 97

The Naas race was tactical and its certain they could have run an even better time, Steinbeck scores 93 on the clock

The maiden was pretty good time....Kitty Kiernan earned an 88.

Horse To Note

The one to note from the maiden was certainly Lillie Langtry who ran really well against the pace, which certainly favoured those near it..a maiden next time is a formality.

We won't get rich from Lily next time I doubt though :)

No Hubris - won the 2yo race at York yesterday - probably goes for the Coventry. Have a slight bias towards the horse as my OH broke him in last year (which is obviously why Paul Cole is quoted as saying what a straighforward & easy horse he is to deal with!)

The market should be fascinating for the Naas event. Gold Bubbles was really impressive at Leopardstown beating a subsequent Ballydoyle winner in the process.

I know people shouldn't always listen to trainer hyperbole but I was amazed that Steinbeck went off at 9/4. If O'Brien is cooing about one they generally win first time up as well.

I still think Monsieur Chevalier is the best 2yo winner I have seen this year and will be backing in whichever race he lines up in at Ascot.

Back