2 Year olds 2009

incredible indeed :blink:

Lily Langtry only scored a SF of 86 when winning today...but in the previous race a decent figure was put up by the two that dominated the finish

LOVE LOCKDOWN 112
BEETHOVEN 109

i know there is a 7f race at the start of May in Gowran but doesnt the start of June seem unusually early for a mile race for juveniles (today at Listowel)?

Last edited:
Coventry looks as open as ever, despite the 7/4 top price about Canford Cliffs. Hard not to be anything other than very impressed with the turn of foot the horse showed at Newbury in a race that has worked out very nicely indeed, but I wouldn't be touching him at current prices.

Red Jazz struck me as being a shade big at 10's (though I'm kicking myself that I missed the 14's on offer last week); wasn't as visually impressive as many had hoped him to be at Ascot perhaps, though the race has worked out nicely and he certainly shaped that day as if he was crying out for six furlongs.

What do our experts make of it?

I'm no expert but I can't see Red Jazz being good enough tbh, the price has gone on Canford..Its a race to watch...I hope Canford wins for the sake of the speed figures though..at this point in time he looks really good.

I am on Red Jazz e/w at 14's Trackside, I think this horse will take all the beating

He's hugely mature (even though Hughes said he pulled all the way), so I'm not sure there'll be room for much improvement beyond this precociousness. Still didn't break (or equal) the course record, to my mild surprise.

He actually looked a fairly scopey type (admittedly on the telly!); were you there, Kri?

Mister Tee of Ger Lyons' is worth following.

Still didn't break (or equal) the course record, to my mild surprise.

Christ, you're a hard woman to please!!!

It shouldn't surprise you. Track records are more the product of the prevailing conditions on the day, which given that that particular record was set on a day when Miss Andretti, Ramonti also set track records and Drawnfromthepast set a 2yo record shoudln't surprise you. Admittedly the track hadn't been open long, and you'd need to see how many are still standing. Come to think of it the 20F record was also broke that day in the 0-95 handicap

until today Andy :blink::blink:

Without Jealous Again in the race Misheer would been a 98 [no wfa added]speed figure winner ..which is about 5lb higher than an average winner...we would have been happy enough with that I reckon

as it is..Jealous Again has run a 118 ...which is a mature figure of 141

Unless I'm mistaken..the fastest 2yo ever seen in this country

obviously top of the pile..until Friday???:blink:

By Bruce Jackson6.01PM 21JUN 2009
CANFORD CLIFFS has earned a higher official rating for turning the Coventry Stakes into a procession on Tuesday than Saturday's Golden Jubilee winner Art Connoisseur achieved in his win in the two-year-old feature a year ago.
The Richard Hannon-trained star has matched the 118 figure accorded to subsequent Middle Park winner and Dewhurst runner-up Three Valleys, and Phoenix and Prix Morny winner Fasliyev (1999), in his breathtaking success at Royal Ascot.

BHA handicapper Matthew Tester said: "It was difficult not to be impressed, as he had them all in trouble from a long way out. It is a great opening innings,but there is a lot of the match to be played."

Tester believes, as the Tagula colt looks anything but the finished article, there is "every chance he will be two-year-old champion" but warns he has to build on his Coventry victory as he comes up against emerging stars after beating mainly maiden winners at Ascot.

The BHA two-year-old handicapper was equally impressed with US-trained Queen Mary winner Jealous Again, whom he rated 114.
Jealous Again's mark has not been achieved by a Queen Mary winner since Flashy Wings in 2005.

Hi, Trackside: no, haven't been to RA since the ghastly refurb and would be happy never to attend again, unless I win the Eurosquillions and can afford to hire a suite! He's a pretty big-framed horse and I can't see him wanting any more on it, other than that he'll naturally get a bit more definition as he ages. Mature in attitude, manner of running/behaviour on track, and a nice light, fast action.

To be honest, Warbs, I don't think the track record really means Jack Squit for another year, until it really beds down. I had a quick word with Jim Crowley when he came in to Lingfield last night, and he says the turf rides better than last year, when it felt spongey underfoot. The root base of the grass has taken, but obviously it needs time to spread and form a firmer matting under the surface before it feels like the old stuff.

By Racing Post Staff9.04AM 22 JUN 2009
COVENTRY STAKES winner Canford Cliffs may run next in the Prix Morny at Deauville on August 23, according to trainer Richard Hannon.
The juvenile blitzed his Royal Ascot rivals by six lengths last Tuesday, earning a rating of 118, which official handicappers believe is the best performance from a two-year-old for ten years.
Canford Cliffs holds several entries later in the season but Hannon said: "Canford Cliffs would have a 3lb penalty for the July Stakes. He is not entered in the Phoenix Stakes, and it would cost €25,000 to supplement him for the Curragh, so the Deauville race, which has not yet closed, looks the favoured option.
"I know it is two months away, but the break will do him good and Paul Roy, who bought a half-share in the colt the night before the Coventry, won the Morny with Dutch Art three years ago.
"We want to look after Canford Cliffs this season as he is a rangy colt with size and scope about him, and I am not surprised that the bookies have him favourite for next year's 2,000 Guineas," Hannon told his website richardhannonracing.tv.
"He has so much speed that inevitably there will be those who will question his ability to get the mile, but he will learn to settle better as he matures through the summer, and neither Richard Hughes nor I have any doubts about him staying the longer distance."

The juvenile blitzed his Royal Ascot rivals by six lengths last Tuesday, earning a rating of 118, which official handicappers believe is the best performance from a two-year-old for ten years.

A two year old at Royal Ascot, presumably?

Friday night at The Curragh sees a maiden which regularly throws up a top class performer. Perhaps not quite of the standard of the one at The Curragh on Oaks weekend but there are some very interesting entries down. Won last year by Rip Van Winkle.

Friday night at The Curragh sees a maiden which regularly throws up a top class performer. Perhaps not quite of the standard of the one at The Curragh on Oaks weekend but there are some very interesting entries down. Won last year by Rip Van Winkle.

That was a really interesting maiden which will produce plenty of winners.

The Oxx horse was asleep in the parade ring and he travelled well enough to suggest he will be a much better horse next time out. Same applies to Viscount Nelson who was very green in the parade ring and is a different type to his brother and sisters Horatio Nelson and Kitty Matchem. A much big and scopier type who will step up on this in time and given better ground.

The winner was really well touted and backed in the morning and it would not surprise me to see some of these turn up over course and distance in the National Stakes later in the season.

Talking to himself again... :D

The winner travelled like a dream last night; will be very interesting to see how much/if he progresses. I'm not convinced Prendergast 2yo's progress much through the season. Viscount Nelson looks a type to come on significantly for the run.

Maiden today won't produce any superstars in all likelihood, though Mr. Tee is a smart enough colt and the yard are very dissapointed he didn't win today. Walk On Bye may just turn out to be a decent sort.

Orpen Grey just won the Conditions Race at Salisbury, pinged out the stall like a rocket travelled like a dream to the 2f pole and drew readily clear final furlong looks a decent sort but not that big from what I can see on the T.V, Practioner looks the one with a frame to improve.

Yes, super performance, and strongly made, too. Looked sensible and mature in his behaviour before and during the race and I hope he inherits ORPEN's progeny's durability.

Lingfield (turf) on the 27th threw up the colt NEPOTISM (PICCOLO - CRAIC SA CEILI/DANEHILL DANCER) making all in his 5f sprint against six others, eased at the finish. He's trained and co-owned by the south-west's Malcolm Saunders, who's brilliant at producing good young sprinters. Previous outings were 502 and he's showing real ability.

Last edited:
Thought the first at Newbury had a couple of decent fillies in - MIDDLE CLUB & SECRET QUEEN, with the winner properly jumping the mown winning line on the track!

I was rather taken with Awzaan yesterday. He showed a nice turn of foot to beat a decent field easily, and it'll be interesting to see where he goes next.

Silver Grey is a nice looking Chineur filly of Roger Ingram's who won the median auction stakes at Epsom yesterday. She's a nice big filly who doesn't look like a 2yo, looks as though she'll improve for growing and strengthening from 3 onwards. She was very green coming through and going on to win as well but won cosily despite being so babyish.

Back