2 Year olds 2009

I know people shouldn't always listen to trainer hyperbole but I was amazed that Steinbeck went off at 9/4. If O'Brien is cooing about one they generally win first time up as well.

I still think Monsieur Chevalier is the best 2yo winner I have seen this year and will be backing in whichever race he lines up in at Ascot.

Yeah, guess alot of it had to do with the fact the Bolger filly had won a hot maiden last time out and had the benefit of a run.

Hard not to be impressed by Canford Cliffs in the first at Newbury today. Travelled through the race like a smart horse and showed an impressive turn of foot. Form of the race not likely to stack up to much (with the second far too green to do himself justice), but the manner of the Hannon horse's success certainly suggests he's a Royal Ascot type.

Missed the Fillies Listed - DISPOL KEASHA ran sixth - I raised her from a foal to yearling so know her well. She's now an offical lunatic but never gave us a moment's worry!

Radiohead runs in the first at Bath tomorrow, he looked an absolute bull of a horse at Newmarket and his greeness beat him. Hopefully he'll look a lot fitter and happier here and won't fade out so easily. :)

Last edited:
Canford Cliffs and Siyoumi are the two fastest i've found this year, though I've squiggled the last named

Yeah, guess alot of it had to do with the fact the Bolger filly had won a hot maiden last time out and had the benefit of a run.

For me this just added to it as O'Brien had a line on the horse and was happy to put Steinbeck straight into a conditions race. Occasionally these little gems pass you by (It passed me by) and he won't be such an attractive price for the rest of the year.

Won again yesterday at Maison Laffiete, previously Longchamp on May 4th. The failure in the name will almost certainly be a spelling mistake on my part (I wish the RP had some software that could logically guess a spelling mistake)

They're certainly aiming high with him then:blink:

As I said I first picked him up on May 4th on a card that I think is working out. I'll spare you the full explanation of this seemingly non-sensical observation, but of the winners that have run since on that card San Chichi and now Siyouni have gone in again, where as Berouni came 2nd - Magadan's winning presence on the same card would also be a plus (and he was fastest of the lot).

I squiggled the 94.11 as Longchamp ratings wouldn't be the most reliable, and this was suspiciously very high, but I'm struggling to think if I'd ever given a 2yo debutant a higher figure as early as May previously. In fact I'm sure I haven't. I recall Saorise Abu ran about 92, and that Natagora broke 100 by June, and repeated the feat a few weeks later, but apart from that I really can't think I've ever found anything so high so early before

check out the 4.20 at York...amazing run from the winner...can't belive one has won from so far back at York

has to be a decent tool once it runs properly from the start

It was an impressive run but she wouldn't have won at all if the jockey on the second had done his job properly. The stewards took no action. They must have had a very good lunch

well it didn't let the form down, think maybe Spencer kicked to soon, which is unusual for him.

In fairness, the horse took an age to pick up on its debut at Newbury, though in hindsight that can be put down to obvious greeness. As you say, Rakaan didn't let the form down by any means yesterday (Fremont looks a smart prospect as well) and I would certainly still rate Canford Cliffs one of the most impressive juveniles seen out this season.

the times all round were disappointing Track which is a shame particularly for that maiden

when a horses wins easily and teh 2nd then comes out and runs a fast time confirming the first race its always a bonus..all the 2yo races at each meeting lacked on the clock

check out the 4.20 at York...amazing run from the winner...can't belive one has won from so far back at York

has to be a decent tool once it runs properly from the start

Have you seen the head on of this run? it is simply unreal the amount of ground made up, i think could be special this one nice stride to it aswell come home like a decent sort

not seen head on IS, the side on was unreal mind you..I can't remember a horse coming from that far back at York..unless the front horses burnt out which wasn't the case...it was quite amazing...and was played down a bit imo on the commentary..we will have to keep it in mind...how good with a decent start and no messing for the 3 quarters of teh race

nice to see noted Lily Langtry win easy today reversing form with her conqueror..which was shown as most likely with her run against the pace when given a nice introduction..will have to note the time for her..can see her going a long way

Last edited:
Back