2 Year olds 2009

Two words spring to mind: 'f*ck' and 'me'.

That was hugely impressive. It didn't look a fast pace and he's come from last to first in a matter of strides before fairly whooshing clear.

I had EP down as a potentially special horse and Al Zir is obviously highly regarded, hence I thought it might take 120 to win that race. I suspect EP has hit at least 120 - take SNA out and we'd be hailing a prospective Derby winner - so SNA must be extra special.

In terms of conformation etc I'm the first to admit I'd struggle to tell a racehorse from a clothes horse but SNA looked a bit skinny and wet after the race. I wonder if that race has taken a lot out of him. Is he a free sweater?

Dare one suggest he could be the Triple Crown winner we've been waiting almost 30 years for?

Last edited:
Guineas prices are to be ignored I would say - much more likely to go the Derby trial routes with the stable having others for a mile.

I've gone in again on Elusive Pimpernel for the Derby. I think the two firms that pushed him out to 25/1 after today's race have over-reacted (others have cut the horse).

Although I don't think he'd ever have beaten SNA on the day, I really wanted to see EP stoked up from the three-pole at the latest and Ahern didn't ask the horse for his effort until after the two. He shrugged off everything else very well and was putting distance between himself and a classy field all the way to the line. I suspect he was pretty surprised to see something else shoot clear out wide.

I'd like to see EP in a much stronger-run race. I think he's a fair bit better than he showed today.

Agreed. I held off backing him today because of the huge vibes about the winner, but he'll surely start in single figures for the Derby if he avoids mishaps.

I would not like Elusive Pimpernel on a track like Epsom, the type to find loads of trouble if he does not hold his place.

I think after watching STS this year.. Coolmore will be tempted to follow in his footsteps if the horse is good enough.

With the 2000 Guineas wide open at the moment I would expect SNA to be in the picture.

Brilliant winner of a high quality event. I don’t know what rating he will have hit, but it will easily surpass the 110 that I was looking for Shakespearean to run to.

Very taken also with DO’s selection EP who will make up into a much better 3yo. Shakespearean didn’t do anything wrong but was simply beaten by a group of top colts. Throw in Steinbeck and co and it looks a very decent group for next season.

StNA looks special though (possibly the best since Sea The Stars :)). Favourite for the Guineas and Derby, he looks capable of quickening like his sire Montjeu (something Fame And Glory struggled to do). Very exciting.

I think after watching STS this year.. Coolmore will be tempted to follow in his footsteps if the horse is good enough.

I thought the same. 40 years since Nijinsky, too. On the other hand, having not won the Derby for 8 years they may want to play it a little safer and give him a dedicated prep for Epsom alone. Nice position to be in!

Looked very impressive there. Surely too much to hope for to have something anywhere near as good as STS only a year later.....here's hoping :)

O'Brien said: "That was very special, he's just an unbelievably special horse. "He's just one of those unique horses with loads of speed and class. Trip doesn't bother him and Johnny was super-cool on him, he was very confident.
"The lad who rides him at home said to Johnny you just move once on him and he takes off."

Murtagh added: "He's a pretty exciting horse. He's got a great cruising speed and a good turn of foot.
"They didn't go a strong gallop. I got to the three marker, I was following Eddie (Ahern on Elusive Pimpernel). When I got to the furlong pole I asked him to quicken and it was incredible.
"He's got a great turn of foot and all the good ones have that. He's very exciting.
"He's a nice horse with great speed. Everything is open for him with the speed he showed today."

Pretty sure we will see him at Newmarket

Wheeeeeeeee! Fair stuffed 'em, came back looking immensely bouncy and pleased with himself, too. It's not just that he had a cracking turn of speed, it's the way he behaved so well when held up, pleasingly went between horses when asked, and appeared focussed on his instructions throughout. An absolute treat to see.

Back