2 Year olds 2009

What do you make of Luca Cumani's Seta today?

My first impressions is she will almost certianly be a 3 year old with tons of room to grow, up untill the last furlong I didn't really like her head carridge but she got there in good style intrestingly the last 300 yards she changed her legs and really looked to get the hang of things getting down to work and definatly erased any preconceptions I made about her the previous 6 furlongs as she got better and learnt bundles every furlong she travelled from looking really novicey to finishing like a proper horse, she will become something special.

Very impressive but looked very streetwise too on her first outing.

Not sure if it's been mentioned on here, but Eightfold Path made a winning debut yesterday and possibly has one of the sexiest pedigrees in racing.

Now all I need to find is a video replay of the race.

Saw that as well, Jamie.

I was taken by John Gosden's Azmeel on his debut at Sandown last week. Travelled very nicely throughout having been slowly away and picked up well under a considerate ride. Certainly has the physical scope to improve a good deal as well.

Last edited:
Some interesting entries for the Sweet Solario this Saturday:

Admire The View
Bideeya
Bikini Babe
Blue Angel
Blue Maiden
Celestial Tryst
Chachamaidee
Clarietta
Devoted To You
Famous
Gallic Star
Jira
Long Lashes
Sent From Heaven
Snow Fairy

What do you make of Luca Cumani's Seta today?

My first impressions is she will almost certianly be a 3 year old with tons of room to grow, up untill the last furlong I didn't really like her head carridge but she got there in good style intrestingly the last 300 yards she changed her legs and really looked to get the hang of things getting down to work and definatly erased any preconceptions I made about her the previous 6 furlongs as she got better and learnt bundles every furlong she travelled from looking really novicey to finishing like a proper horse, she will become something special.

I loved it. breeding has her down as a classy prospect with a really interesting blend of speed and stamina, she looked flashy, and while admittingly knew her job well I was told she really looked the part beforehand as well. lovely to see the old gerald leigh colours again, my fav. colours for a long time, and here is me hoping she - seta- will a) go all the way to the top and b) will not be sold to godolphin. hope miss leigh made enough money with the bloodstock to be able to afford and enjoy this one !

Is Seta not the filly that Fallon has been work riding and was singing her praises sometime ago?

Agree with everyone, lovely breeding, classy and looked mature. Just the kind that Gerald Leigh would have loved. :)

Khattaab also very very impressive at Haydock on his debut for Barry Hills - more of a sprinting pedigree (Dixie Union out of Lowther winner Jemima) but they must be pleased with a 7 length win at 6f on debut :)

Al Zir wouldn't be in Godolphin's top ten, as I said last month, they have some serious 2yo's this season.

Vale Of York is up there, as is Al Razi. Atlantis Star ain't bad either. But as they say the best is yet to come :)

I take on board what Flame says, but I remember rumours of a top crop of 2 year olds from Godolphin last year or the year before and it came to nothing. I was impressed with Al Zir though and I would be surprised if he was not near the top of their lot.

Sent From Heaven just won at Kempton, now she looks a real nice filly with a good size about her, plenty of action and has a monsterous stride.

She runs in the 3.00 Sweet Solera at Newmarket, now I was taken by this filly a lot! and hope she will do the team proud - think i'll have an each way bet at 13/2 aswell.

I take on board what Flame says, but I remember rumours of a top crop of 2 year olds from Godolphin last year or the year before and it came to nothing. I was impressed with Al Zir though and I would be surprised if he was not near the top of their lot.

Was two years ago, and Rio De La Plata & Ibn Khaldun weren't bad finds given they were stated prior to debut.

Pentire will vouch for me when I say I told him of Al Zir prior to his win. I might as well say the ones I like. In no particular order.

Al Razi - Unraced is as good as Vale Of York and Al Zir. More of a next season sort and has missed a week with a minor setback, but a nice horse who should be more than capable of winning a maiden this season before going on to better things next year.

Huroof - Works as well as Long Lashes but a lovely filly with a big white face and is still quite spacey. She'll need it today but I won't be surprised if she won. Next year she'll be something.

Vale Of York - He beat some good horses on debut, the well beat Hoof It was out of sight, yet collected in fine style this week at Newcastle. Vale Of York had really been impressing on the Tapeta surfaces in Snailwell prior to his debut and should be out in the Gimcrack. He's potentially very smart and should make a very nice miler next season. I like him a lot.

Dafeef - He's still a bit weak so I'm really surprised to see him entered this week, but early work is very pleasing. He is a very nice horse and if he didn't win on debut I wouldn't be too disappointed as he wants a mile and he's another I like more for next season.

Mendip - Not a cheap American purchase but a bonny colt who has his own way of doing things. Took the eye with Marine Spirit (runaway winner at Folkestone this week) in a recent spin and a nice backward colt to look out for.

Al Ghazal - I think he met one on debut at Windsor over 6f and he done a bit too much for my liking. He is better than that on what he has shown at home and is capable of much, much better in due course. A likeable sort.

Najd - A strapping Chestnut colt who has a really nice floating stride, not surprisingly another who has really impressed on the Tepeta surface and since its laying, the Godolphin horses have readily improved. I like the way this colt moves and he has a really smart battling attitude. He hasn't done too many serious gallops but what he has done suggests he could be a very smart prospect. I like him a lot.

Poet's Voice - I'm amazed people weren't as taken as I was by his runaway Newmarket success and boy he has a smart turn of foot. One of the most impressive workers on the Tepeta gallop, and readily drew away from highly regarded 3yo Seaway in a recent gallop. There is an awful lot to like about this horse and is easily the best they have run so far. He is a shade special.

Barq - Haven't seen this one too much but I've liked what I've seen. A really nice mover who is not short of speed and gives the impression he could be nice. He does need time however.

Paucity - A cheap purchase but a nice sort who knows it's job. Up to winning on debut and super fit. Not short of speed and a typically ready 2yo.

Al Mayasah - By a stallion I like in Dubai Destination and this really does impress on the gallops. Reminds me a lot of Ibn Khaldun and looks classy.

Arabian Falcon - Has done a lot to impress at home and gives the imrpession that this son of Lomitas could be useful.

Qamar - Really handsome grey son of Pivotal and I couldn't help but be majorly impressed when I first saw him. I really like him and he is up the top end of my lists. Has worked with all the good ones and looks classy.

Asraab - I like him, and I like him a lot. He floats in his movement and his work with some of the backward types has been rather taking. He worked very well with Vale Of York and gives me the impression he could be a very nice 2yo. I await his debut with excitement.

Nashama - They have run out of 2yo's to work with this. The daughter of Pivotal has been flying at home and powered out nicely in front of older lead Popiel in a recent piece of work. The dogs are woofing like mad for this one and she oozes class.

Golden Shaheen - There is plenty to like about this Invincible Spirit colt and he looks very smart. He is not short of speed and he is a full brother to Pretty Majestic who was a smart 2yo for Mick Channon a couple of years ago. Golden Shaheen impressed in a recent gallop with Passion For Gold on the Long Hill turf and looks a nice prospect.

Those 16 are the ones I like the most, although there are 3 or 4 others who are too backward to give comment on at present.

Siyaadah made what was for me a very impressive debut in the 2.10 at Redcar. Very slowly away and ridden from the off and all the way through. she picked up well the further she went and the more she learnt about racing. One to keep an eye on.

The ground is softer than I thought it would be at Tipperary so that is probably a negative for Viscount Nelson. I have mentioned Kingdom Of Munster positively previously on the forum and would hope he will be more streetwise today compared to last time at Leopardstown where he looked all at sea from the off.

An average performance on paper but one that hints at much better to come over a mile and on better ground.

Viscount Nelson wins from Bobbyscot.

Looks a great big colt (I have seen him in the flesh and he is) - completely different to his half brothers and sisters Horatio Nelson and Kitty Matchem.

Back