2 Year olds 2009

Guest_

At the Start
A thread to mention some impressive/promising two year olds throughout the season?

Have a look at Red Jazz in the first at Windsor today...looks a colt of some potential.

The owner/trainer combo had Red Clubs a few years ago who was a precocious 2yo and we all know what he did and they've had a couple of highly regarded types since.

To be my experienced but untrained eye, I thought the third horse was very green and wasn't given a hard ride. Think he could be one to watch and note he was napped by Newmarket in the Post today! His name was Thomas Baines.

Red Jazz was certainly well prepared and performed very professionally but with his opponents running very green behind perhaps some caution should be advised.

Red Jazz held an entry in the Brocklesby IIRC, was the only bet in the race for me at the 5 day stage had he run.

A pretty decent performance on the clock today at Nottingham by Star Rover.

If you compare his time to the handicap over the same C/D his time figure is in the region of 85.

The handicap is a decent marker if you look at the conditions sprint time as well.

The first 3 in the Novice Stakes are all worth keeping in mind over the coming weeks as this was a hot race for this time of year purely looking at the racetime. They finished 4 lengths clear of the 4th horse.

1. STAR ROVER
2.1.5, RED AVALANCHE
3. 1.25, GILLBURG

The 2nd and 3rd will take some beating in ordinary maidens

edited...the rating should have been 85 not 95..the handicap was a 3yo race..hence original mistake

to put this in context..Bonnie Charlie who won the Windsor race last year that Red Jazz won on Monday..but in a faster comparative time than RJ did ...recorded a sf of 82...that horse nearly won a G3 after the maiden.

Last edited:
Agree wholeheartedly, Red Jazz flew like a rocket in the last 2 furlongs, very impressive. In that race, I thought Greenore Gordon ran well for a while and his inexperience cost him. He might be worth a look at a big price on a less complicated track next time out or later in the year in nuseries.

Star Rover has also been very impressive, as EC1 mentions, his times have been excellent for a two year old.

Although there was no 5f handicap today at Folkestone, using the 6f handicap won by Rash Judgement which looks a good marker - MONSIEUR CHEVALIER in the first race looks to have produced one of the best 2yo time performances of the season with a 90.

The 2nd DIAMOND LAURA should take some beating next time out.

The finishing distances were amazing - the ground timed at Good...were

Some pretty nippy 2yo's out up to press

Hearts of Fire will need to be some tool to give Monsieur Chevalier 6lb and a beating tomorrow in the 2.25 race.

Can see MC being odds on here, bit disappointing really as on paper it were only a Folkestone maiden he won.

not backing odds on .but MC should take really this comfy

I think you'll discover there was a strong tail wind at play on the straight course which became something of headwind on the round course for a bit. The race times suggest somethings not right anyway.

I only used a straight course time Warbler

admittedly not the same distance with this one....which I prefer.. to compare the mdn time with though..which negates the need for any wind or going correction.

same distance comparisons are my preferred method these days..less worry about distance changes, rail changes, going.....for accuracy re speed figures its a no brainer imo

Last edited:
Well I wouldn't worry too much about a rail realignment on a straight course, but you're putting one hell of a lot of an emphasis on just the single benchmark race. Make the slightest error in miscalling it's value and your whole analysis is up the spout. Analogy with eggs in basket. To no small extent you're working off hunches and visual impressions which are notoriously misleading, although if you're using median times especially in small fields or on gaff tracks you're trespassing on even more dodgy ground. I'd certainly be looking to invoke something by way of a check and balance into the equation to challenge your hypothesis and see if you confirm it, or deny it etc

If you're then using subsequent races to project performances off by way of an anticipated level you could quickly spin out of control and have a whole list of wildly inaccurate ratings all of which will compound each other. Not a method I'd like to stake much on to be honest. Too risky. I'd like to have a third and fourth opinion by way of something that's likely to point to how reliable a performance is in context. In any event there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to combine both approaches, and use one to back up or test the hypothesis of the other

Last edited:
Has Shamardal had any two year olds out yet? I see Bolger has one (Super Hoofer) in on Sunday at Leopardstown. O'Brien has his first two year olds entered up on Saturday (Naas) and Sunday (Leopardstown).

Its Alright, trained by Alan Bailey who just won at Newmarket was pretty impressive. Seemed to get a little unbalance in the dip and absolutely motored home once they came out of it.

previously:
Hearts Of Fire: sf: 88

today

It's Alright: sf: 86
Here Now And Why: speed figure 60
Shark Man: speed figure 56

Monsieur Chevalier improved yesterday from the initial 90 to 95 which is still the highest figure this year on my calcs...unless I have missed one :)

edited: forgot to add wfa

Last edited:
Hi EC1 does this make STAR ROVER tomorrow as good a bet as MC was yesterday also what rating do you give Chcita Banana
all the best
Larry

Hi Larry

Chicita Banana sf 63

I won't be playing in that race tomorrow, SR has a double penalty, Lees Anthem has potential, Gentle Beat and Marchin Star also could be threats

don't like the make up of the race

didn't know Lees Anthem hadn't run until I got in Larry, SR has done well to give the weight really even though the figures said it was possible you never know what the burden will do to a young un.

Star Rover ran a 75 today on the clock, looks like a pretty uncompetetive race in the end.

At Newbury Walkingonthemoon also ran a 75 when winning the Maiden. Planet Red ran well and should win next time, came from off the pace in a race where the pace allowed those on it an easier time than those closing into it.

thanks for all your help EC i'm getting there slowly but surely(by getting there i mean getting to grips dont have the time or patience to get there financially)

horses noted up to press have done ok, RED AVALANCHE just dotted up at Nottingham...DIAMOND LAURA lost by very short head yesterday in a large field Windsor mdn..Gilliburg has run once..beat..still worth keeping an eye on though.

EC you give Walkingonthemoon a better rating than Red Jazz du think some odds on backers will get their fingers burnt today

well i'm leaving the race alone if Planet Red had run it would have been my choice but now i cant see past RED JAZZ so i will leave this race

Back