2000 Guineas

For those so interested the list of leading 3-y-os (colts and fillies) from Timeform to date reads:

Leading Three Year Olds in Europe
126p Sea The Stars (Ire)
124p Crowded House
121+ Delegator
120 Mastercraftsman (Ire)
119p Gan Amhras (Ire)
119 Bushranger (Ire)
118p Rip Van Winkle (Ire)
118 Amour Propre
117 Art Connoisseur (Ire)
117 Gallagher
117 Intense Focus (USA)
117 Lord Shanakill (USA)
117 Naaqoos
117 Rainbow View (USA)
116p Fantasia
116p Recharge (Ire)
116p Vocalised (USA)
116 Ashram (Ire)
116 Finjaan
116 Ghanaati (USA)
116 Regal Ransom (USA)

How does 119P compare with your previous 2000 Guineas winners?

Don't know about Sunybay but here are my figures:

2009 Sea The Stars 125+
2008 Henrythenavigator 132?
2007 Cockney Rebel 117
2006 George Washington 123+
2005 Footstepsinthe Sand 117
2004 Haafhd 127+
2003 Refuse To Bend 119

Henry was a strange one. The form lines with Ravens Pass and Stubbs Art looked good for a while but RP kept improving while Henry's figures seemed to gradually deteriorate, yet remain basically high class, after the Irish Guineas.

Last edited:
Don't know about Sunybay but here are my figures:

2009 Sea The Stars 125+
2008 Henrythenavigator 132?
2007 Cockney Rebel 117
2006 George Washington 123+
2005 Footstepsinthe Sand 117
2004 Haafhd 127+
2003 Refuse To Bend 119

Henry was a strange one. The form lines with Ravens Pass and Stubbs Art looked good for a while but RP kept improving while Henry's figures seemed to gradually deteriorate, yet remain basically high class, after the Irish Guineas.

You were high on King's Best weren't you? He turned in an irresitible performance in his Guineas... Close to unbeatable on the day I'd say.

You'll remember I'd been talking KB up since royal ascot the year before! You could say it was quite a result for me...

You were high on King's Best weren't you? He turned in an irresitible performance in his Guineas... Close to unbeatable on the day I'd say.

A race literally where everything fell absolutely perfect for him. A horse at the height of his powers that day.

A race literally where everything fell absolutely perfect for him. A horse at the height of his powers that day.

I tipped the runner-up to beat KB. The runner-up turned out half decent as well though :). I remember feeling sorry for GC that he came up against a freak of a colt, as you say at the height of his powers on the day. The performance blew me away.

Milk It Mick's Dewhurst produced a couple of Guineas winners.

I find it hard to get my head around AOB sending a potential Group 1 horse to Dundalk on his debut, so I'm sort of thinking there are two rather than one dodgepots in front. The form in that race is sound enough for a maiden though.

I find it hard to get my head around AOB sending a potential Group 1 horse to Dundalk on his debut, so I'm sort of thinking there are two rather than one dodgepots in front. The form in that race is sound enough for a maiden though.

Age of Aquarius had his debut at Dundalk last season so I wouldn't dismiss Fencing Master on that basis.

Given how lazy/green Fencing Master ran – they have probably learnt a fair bit about the horse from running on the track.

Given the state of ground at some Irish turf tracks, I'd argue that AOB probably was looking after the horse with a view to the future by running him at Dundalk.

FM seemed to run in snatches. Steinbeck looked the classier to me.

I agree, these are actually probably similar to their sires - both of whom (Footstepsinthesand and Oratorio) ran against each other in the Guineas finishing 1st and 4th. But Fencing Master is not to be underestimated given how gross he looked in the parade ring and given his breeding suggests he should improve with time and distance.

Given the state of ground at some Irish turf tracks, I'd argue that AOB probably was looking after the horse with a view to the future by running him at Dundalk.

Quite possibly, and I'd imagine going forward there will be a lot of really good maidens at Dundalk.

What months of the year is there racing at Dundalk?

I agree, these are actually probably similar to their sires - both of whom (Footstepsinthesand and Oratorio) ran against each other in the Guineas finishing 1st and 4th. But Fencing Master is not to be underestimated given how gross he looked in the parade ring and given his breeding suggests he should improve with time and distance.

Fair enough... I'll bear that in mind.

I think they only take January off.

You could imagine AOB using Dundalk more than any other track in Ireland in years to come. Makes sense instead of giving a horse an unnecessarily hard race on typical Curragh ground, and best case scenario is it forces the Curragh to look at improving their drainage. Seems a fair track too, and not too many hard luck stories.

How is it as somewhere to go racing? May try and get up around xmas time.

Back