2000 Guineas

Flame would you say he would be more of a staying sort? I think he'll get 10 furlongs no problem, would find a few too quick over the mile.

Definitely needs 10f, won over 8f in soft ground at Newbury and was one paced to hold off a promising horse in 2nd. The 2nd has wintered well and he too needs 10f, London Bridge that is.

Monitor Closely is a nice horse, but he needs 10f, I have my suspicions whether he is a group horse but a high class handicapper he is.

staying sort bloody hell he's out of oasis dream but i do see he has an entry for the irish derby!!! sounds like my pennies are going down the drain with the guineas.

Yes he is by Oasis Dream but surprisingly his stock do look as if they want a trip. I saw he had a 12f winner recently.

Mastercraftsman into 9/2 and Rip Van Winkle removed from the betting...interesting indeed.

O'Brien hopes to work the pair after racing at the Curragh on Sunday. Mastercraftsman is my strong fancy for the Guineas. I'm on at 8s.

O'Brien hopes to work the pair after racing at the Curragh on Sunday. Mastercraftsman is my strong fancy for the Guineas. I'm on at 8s.

I shall be there.

I think it is a case of being pretty weary of the Ballydoyle plans (even more so than usual) early this season. Breeders Cup meeting (aka a gateway to Coolmore America) is running on synthetics again this season and there was a general feeling that too much too soon too often had been asked of some of the 3 year olds last season. The Breeders Cup goes back to dirt next year so they will want to get this right. For that reason I think the more forward Mastercraftsman is the more solid option of the pair.

Last edited:
I think the following horses are overpriced on Betfair, and all have chances

Arazan 19
Intense Focus 37
Ashram 169
Skanky biscuit 169

I know Arazan is an intended runner there without a prep, but does anyone know the plans for the other named horses?

I agree about Mastercraftsman being the most likely winner at this stage, and I find it easy to ignore his Paris run, as he was never travelling from a long way out. Worry is firm ground.

I think Ashram, if an intended runner, would be good value at 25 or bigger. He, for me, ran the most eye catching race in the Dewhurst, and thought Moore gave him a very poor ride. Did I hear Godolphin bought him or am I wrong?

Fair point, but haven't they altered their previous plan of bringing the 2 year olds to winter in Dubai? That may make a difference, and they seem to be in reasonable form in the Dubai Carnival.

I took 12s after the Dewhurst. I think any position on the race has to include Crowded House.

Mastercraftsman continuing to shorten all the time...O'Brien did confirm that both horses are due to work after racing on Sunday.

im led to believe rvw wont be running in the guineas i guess that may be obvious in the betting but just been told by a good source

Shaweel to head for 2,000 Guineas

SHAWEEL, who ran ante-post favourite Mastercraftsman to a short head in the National Stakes last season, is Godolphin's most likely 2,000 Guineas horse at this stage according to racing manager Simon Crisford. The winner of last year's Gimcrack Stakes for Mark Johnston is a 25-1 chance for the Classic with sponsors Stan James. Crisford said: "Shaweel has got great two-year-old form and he looks a nice horse for the summer ahead. He'd be the one that looks at the moment like a possible Guineas contender. He's a big outsider but he'd be the best we've got over a mile at the moment."

Group 3 winner Kite Wood and Racing Post Trophy third Skanky Biscuit are both likely to run in Derby trials while Copperbeech, third in the Prix Marcel Boussac last season, could start her season in the Musidora Stakes at York.

Godolphin may also have runners at next month's Craven meeting, an earlier than normal return to Newmarket forced by the imminent closure of Nad Al Sheba racecourse with its facilities for training on turf. Crisford said: "I don't think it is going to make any difference, the timing of when they go back, but we'll have a look to see if it does."

Possible runners include Liberation in the first running of the £400,000 Tattersalls Timeform 3-Y-O Trophy, Hatta Fort in the Abernant Stakes and City Style in the Craven Stakes.

Last edited:
Anyone know what the plan is for Ashram? Godolphin have bought him, correct?

Last edited:
Not heard anything about Ashram...when are the Godolphin gallops or do they do that anymore?

Money today for Evasive, Cityscape and Delegator today.

Flame have you heard, anything about the john gosden trained ALWAARY.

this is one i'm very keen on,any info much appreciated.

Not heard anything about Ashram...when are the Godolphin gallops or do they do that anymore?

Reading somewhere today that they're not able to go ahead with the Nad Al Sheba gallops due to the renovations (or is the track just being knocked - not sure).

That's the reason behind them returning to Newmarket earlier than previous years. A blessing in disguise, perhaps?

Godolphin back with most on Sunday (5th) and Tuesday (7th).

They will be working several up Chippenham Hill on Saturday morning (11th April) , with a selection coming over the racecourse for a private gallop.

Ashram has done okay and is expected to go for the French 2000 Guineas.

Shaweel and Huntdown have also wintered smartly I'm told.

Ibn Khaldun could be making a belated reappearance in the Earl Of Sefton, taking on Twice Over, Pipedreamer and Spacious.

Topcat, Alwaary worked on Tuesday morning with Virtual on the Flat (Racecourse Side) doing no more than a 3/4 speed over 7f. Both horses seemed to look in fine fettle.

Last edited:
Anything on Chock A Block as yet Flame? Got a nice write up in the RP today and smart enough form over the channel, well bred etc.

Back