2000 Guineas

Ibn Khaldun could be making a belated reappearance in the Earl Of Sefton

Is that the Craven meeting? In the RP today I thought BinSuroor said both Ibn Khaldun and Fast Company would be out late.

Ibn Khaldun is far more forward than Fast Company. He has not done a serious gallop so I would imagine Saeed is being careful in case he doesn't progress as hoped. The Earl Of Sefton was initially pencilled in, but the Lockinge is probably a more likely option. He is certainly being trained for the Queen Anne. Fast Company won't be ready for a while after him.

Is that the Craven meeting? In the RP today I thought BinSuroor said both Ibn Khaldun and Fast Company would be out late.

I beg this be true one of my favourite horses and hated it when he made no appearance after the guineas. I'll definatly get to Newmarket to grab myself a photo is rumours are true, thanks Galileo

Evasive`s price has been up and down like a yo-yo recently. Into 8 then out to 15 and now 11.

CH is drifting on the exchanges and has been supplanted by Naaqoos as the main market rival to Mastercraftsman.

Looks to me like Crowded House may be headed to the Dante. Even RvW is shorter.

Naaqoos's trial is coming up soon? I think Crowded House will go for the Guineas, really surprised if they went to the Dante.

The one thing that worries be about Naaqoos is he is one attractive sob. Of all the portraits in the Racehorses of 2008 Annual his was the most striking. I`m not convinced he`s a danger from a form point of view but he looks very progressive.

Naaqoos's trial is on Friday I believe. He's around 8/1 now and whilst he's one of my most confident antepost bets for a while, I don't think he'll be much shorter on the day even though Friday should merely be a procession.

Evasive has not worked in 2 weeks, but no one seems to know if he has been eased off or, has had a setback. He hasn't been galloping for the past 2 weeks though.

any news on monitor closely must be in fast work, is he going for the guineas? seen his odds shorten on betfair

Evasive has not worked in 2 weeks, but no one seems to know if he has been eased off or, has had a setback. He hasn't been galloping for the past 2 weeks though.

Stoute said on Monday: "He had some pus in a foot but was cantering this morning and will go straight for the Guineas."

Brian Meehan will decide next week whether to aim Crowded House at the Stan James 2000 Guineas.
The Manton handler intends watching the key trials at Newmarket and Newbury before deciding on plans for his Racing Post Trophy winner.
"Crowded House is coming along really well and we are happy with him. However, he will not be running in one of the early trials, so there is no rush to make any decision about where he will make his first appearance," he told his website, www.brianmeehan.com.
"We have always said the Guineas or the Dante Stakes at the York May meeting will be his initial target, but we will decide only when we have seen what the Guineas Trials have to offer, and of course, what the weathermen have to say about the ground situation."

I remember mentioning Delegator on here a few months ago for this race. It seems as though he is on course for the race, providing all goes well in the Craven.
DELEGATOR, as short as 20-1 with Coral to win the 2,000 Guineas, will warm up for his tilt at the Newmarket Classic in the Group 3 Craven Stakes at the course on April 16.

The Brian Meehan-trained colt ran just three times last season, ending the year with a promising fifth in the Dewhurst and Meehan is pleased with his progress. He said on his website : "Delegator showed last season he was a high class performer and we have been delighted with his progress this spring. The 2,000 Guineas is very much on the agenda and his run in the Craven should put him spot on."

Last edited:
Brian Meehan's Delegator has been cut for the Stan James 2000 Guineas after reports of a fine piece of work on Thursday morning.
His price has been slashed across the board with the sponsors going 12s from 25s, Sky Bet and Ladbrokes are 14s from the same price, Blue Square 14s from 20s and Bet365 12s from 20s.
Matt Doyle of Sky Bet said: "We are still licking our wounds after the massive Lincoln gamble on Expresso Star and this has all the hallmarks of another major coup."
Delegator, a stablemate of Derby favourite Crowded House, finished fifth in last season's Dewhurst and is due to reappear in the Craven Stakes at Newmarket next week.

By Martin Kelly, PA Sport

Aidan O'Brien could have four runners in the stanjames.com 2000 Guineas on May 2 as he bids to win the colts' Classic for the fourth time in five years.
Current ante-post favourite Mastercraftsman, Rip Van Winkle, Westphalia and rank outsider Set Sail are all in the mix for the Newmarket showpiece.
O'Brien, who has five 2000 Guineas wins to his name, reports dual Group One winner Mastercraftsman to be in good order following a racecourse gallop at the Curragh last month.
He said: "We are very happy with him and he was a big, mature two-year-old.
"He did a nice piece of work at the Curragh and I am very happy with where he is.
"We all saw what they all did at the Curragh, and they have worked separately since.
"I have been happy with their individual work, but it would be hard to say what the pecking order is at the moment - although we might get some kind of an idea in the next couple of weeks."
While Mastercraftsman won his first four starts, including the Phoenix and National Stakes.
Rip Van Winkle, who scored on his first two outings before finishing seventh in the Dewhurst, had an injury scare earlier this year - but O'Brien reports him to be fighting fit for the Guineas.
"It wasn't a big hold-up but he did have to go a bit slower for a time," O'Brien explained.
"He is not a horse who takes a lot of work, and is a natural horse at home.
"The setback maybe wasn't a disadvantage, but time will tell. I am happy with where he is at the moment.
"He doesn't take a lot of work and, when they are like that, they might not learn as much as other horses.
"He is a quick thinker and a quick learner but was drawn wide in the Dewhurst and got pushed a bit wide.
"Johnny (Murtagh) got back further than he wanted to but we were very happy with him after the Dewhurst, and after he galloped at the Curragh."
Rip Van Winkle is quoted at 9-1 with the sponsors, while Westphalia is 16-1 and Set Sail a mouthwatering 50s.
O'Brien added: "Westphalia could go for a trial in France on Sunday (the Prix de Fontainebleau).
"He had a couple of tough races last year at Doncaster and in America, but he is in good shape and is in a good place at the moment.
"Set Sail is also in the picture and he could also run in France this weekend.
"He will also have an entry in the Craven Stakes, but we don't really like to travel them over so close to the Guineas."

Naaqoos's trial is on Friday I believe. He's around 8/1 now and whilst he's one of my most confident antepost bets for a while, I don't think he'll be much shorter on the day even though Friday should merely be a procession.

Schoolboy error. Absolutely booting myself. I took 20s the day after the Grand Criterium but only for £25. I think he could even now go off favourite if he puts in a scintilating performance tomorrow given Crowded House's doubts and how Ballydoyle have about 4 for the race and frankly, none of them worry me this year.

Genuinely can't see him getting beat now if he shows himself in good order tomorrow.

Schoolboy error. Absolutely booting myself. I took 20s the day after the Grand Criterium but only for £25. I think he could even now go off favourite if he puts in a scintilating performance tomorrow given Crowded House's doubts and how Ballydoyle have about 4 for the race and frankly, none of them worry me this year.

Genuinely can't see him getting beat now if he shows himself in good order tomorrow.

Ballydoyle will have one or a maximum of two runners (unless they throw in a pacemaker). Westphalia is going to run in the French Guineas. Henry did not worry alot of people last year either...

I always knew Henry was capable of winning and went off an obscene price, I just think this years lot aren't on the same page. Anyone backing Mastercraftsman at a shorter price than Naaqoos needs their head examining, there is just no logic for it.

Back