2000 Guineas

Night of Thunder came from behind Kingman though Steve and then ran across the track and won . Australia looks hard to beat at Epsom . Toormore disappointing . Shifting Power ran a blinder . Game run by the Spanish horse.

Looks like N of T may just have run below form at Newbury .

Last edited:
Backed this horse to beat Kingman at Newbury but couldn't see him turning it around today. Draw beat Kingman IMO

Anyway well done Night of Thunder backers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would bring tears to a glass eye.

Slaughtered by Kingman, Rejected by Hughsie, Moore prefered AOB 2nd string in steps the old man and rides them all to sleep.

Feel real sorry for anyone who backed Kingman that was a shocking ride.

great run from australia as a derby prep. kingman ran fine but just got a bit tired in the last half furlong. went for home quite early.

Backed this horse to beat Kingman at Newbury but couldn't see him turning it around today. Draw beat Kingman IMO

Anyway well done Night of Thunder backers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't get that the draw beat Kingman - Night of Thunder came from behind Kingman after being briefly in a pocket and finished quicker than him and ran across the course and still won . They were unhappy with how the horse travelled at Newbury before running on again at the finish .

Look forward to the rematch at Royal Ascot !

The draw played very little part. The Spanish horse set a good pace that side and they were fairly level going into the dip.

Kingman will be more at home in a race round a turn where he can conserve energy.

Australia was immense. Unless True Story is a 130+ beast he wins the Derby comfortably.

Wonder whether Hughes would have chosen differently if he had been able to ride in the trials ? Probably not .

Good for Fallon whose career appeared to be in steepish decline .

Night of Thunder came from behind Kingman though Steve and then ran across the track and won . Australia looks hard to beat at Epsom ...

Yes nothing at all against the winner. The fact that he ran sideways and overtook Kingman was impressive.

Fallon made a good point about the winner not settling off a muddling pace at Newbury . It is difficult to see any fluke in that . Did Kingman stay I suppose might be a question but N of T was briefly boxed in and made up nearly three lengths on the favourite.

Doubt many Guineas winners started off in an auction maiden in mid October ???

The draw played very little part. The Spanish horse set a good pace that side and they were fairly level going into the dip.

Kingman will be more at home in a race round a turn where he can conserve energy.

Australia was immense. Unless True Story is a 130+ beast he wins the Derby comfortably.

Kingman gets the mile fine. It's just that he always had to make up ground and in the end it has favoured those who get beyond a mile. Australia ran a fine race.

Last edited:
Fallon made a good point about the winner not settling off a muddling pace at Newbury . It is difficult to see any fluke in that . Did Kingman stay I suppose might be a question but N of T was briefly boxed in and made up nearly three lengths on the favourite.

Doubt many Guineas winners started off in an auction maiden in mid October ???

No fluke whatsoever. When a horse runs sideways and still overtakes he has to be pretty good.;)

Fair play to the winner. Just a shame they split in to two groups. The Sussex would be ideal for Kingman

If you ignore Kingman he ran a great race in the Greenham. If it had been a handicap he'd have been the type I put in my tracker.

If Kingman has beaten ordinary horses (and I’d take issue with that: Night Of Thunder is very smart and going places) then Australia has beaten the even more ordinary. After a couple of maidens he looked smart in his Group 3, but he’s a middle distance colt whereas Kingman is a miler. If you fancy Australia back him ahead of today’s race for the Derby on the expectation of a good showing behind Kingman in this.

With Australia and Kingston Hill middle distance types, at this trip I've gone 1) Kingman 2) Toormore 3) War Command

See:

http://www.chef-de-race.com/dosage/classics/2014/2014_2000_guineas_preview.htm

http://horseracingstrategyanalysis.blogspot.co.uk/

I stand corrected re Night of Thunder too bad for Hughsie he couldn't see what you could hope Stan backed it ew as he suggested and is celebrating..............while the rest of us cry in our pints:(

It was a very unsatisfactory race. I'm so glad Night Of Thunder eventually won. There was obviously collusion among those on the near side to force the split (which you have to suspect had leaked, given Gosden's comments beforehand), to give them a better chance of beating Kingman, yet they were ultimately done by one that raced on the far side.

As for Kingman, I wonder if he did too much at Newbury and left his race there but he has still run very well.

Australia has also run a phenomenal Derby trial. The clash with True Story is already mouthwatering. And I expect we'll see a much different Kingston Hill there too.

I stand corrected re Night of Thunder too bad for Hughsie he couldn't see what you could hope Stan backed it ew as he suggested and is celebrating..............while the rest of us cry in our pints:(

I didn't back Night Of Thunder in this as I think he wants a bit further. He's done my TTF a world of good though. I didn't have him as my star horse but all the same I'm in the top 20 or so going into tomorrow. (It's hard to tell as the figures haven't been applied correctly.)

Australia ran a great Derby 'trial'.

Last edited:
As for Kingman, I wonder if he did too much at Newbury and left his race there but he has still run very well.

I'm not sure they wanted to be stone last leaving the gates. He was always making ground on the leaders until hitting the front and by then had given his lot.

Very unsatisfactory that they split into two groups. This is not a Redcar seller, this is the colts classic. Why do they leave them the option by leaving the course 70 yards wide? Could they not move the ******* rails or something??? Obviously I'm talking through a hole in my pocket before its pointed out.

Kingman gets the mile fine. It's just that he always had to make up ground and in the end it has favoured those who get beyond a mile. Australia ran a fine race.

He might get it but not like a Zafonic did. Against top notchers he'll need an easier test.

He might get it but not like a Zafonic did. Against top notchers he'll need an easier test.

These were top-notchers. He gets the mile fine, but needs to be put in the race to better effect. It's just that he was always making ground after coming from the back. Zafonic was just about the best Guineas horse you'll ever see. I agree he's not Zafonic.

Last edited:
e861f2c3-d3ee-4d6c-8896-106378fd5fc5_zps505264bc.png

It was a very unsatisfactory race. I'm so glad Night Of Thunder eventually won. There was obviously collusion among those on the near side to force the split (which you have to suspect had leaked, given Gosden's comments beforehand), to give them a better chance of beating Kingman, yet they were ultimately done by one that raced on the far side.

Australia has also run a phenomenal Derby trial. The clash with True Story is already mouthwatering. And I expect we'll see a much different Kingston Hill there too.

No collusion necessary.
Hughsie made it clear in today's RP that he'd come nearside to avoid setting the race up for Kingman, and the far side group were always likely to follow the Spaniard.

Back