2007 Departures - Horses In Training

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, not RUK, as it happens this time, Kathy: I've just watched the Replay to see what was said in their wrap, and Nick Luck has offered 'commiserations obviously to connections of ROUGE DE BEAUVOIR', so she's gone. Since as the horse was trained by Lucinda Russell, I'm sure was well prepped for this, and was racing very nicely at the time. Attacked the first two hurdles zestily and very accurately, then just gets her front legs right up into the third, coming down in a neck-twisting fall which led the race caller to immediately say 'I think they'll be missing that out on the next circuit', so I assume she was killed straightaway.

It really was a nasty fall, think the jockey was still on the deck next time round too...

Yes, I think so too, Caj. To the left of the screens you see two or three of the First Aiders working away. I hope he came out of it okay, because he got fired straight into the ground at some speed.

Comanche War Paint collapsed after the 4m Open infront of stand and died from a heart attack .

Duly edited on Aldaniti's behalf

Wild Fit died of Colic, Grade 1 winner in the 2005 Del Mar Debutante and also runner-up in that years Breeders Cup Juvenile Fillies

Teletext's Gallops section reported something similar earlier this month Triptych, along the lines of he's drinking at the last chance saloon but retains all his sparkle on the gallops.

Happy Retirement One Knight :)

Beat me to it Grif. Can't believe bloody ATR showed a replay of the [truly horrific] fall THREE times :cry:

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Jan 26 2007, 02:27 PM
Beat me to it Grif. Can't believe bloody ATR showed a replay of the [truly horrific] fall THREE times :cry:
They knew it was bad so why the hell did they have to show it again and again? :angy:

It looked very much to me like he broke his neck but SIS are talking about him as if he is alive - said he'll need more schooling at home. It was a truly horrendous fall & I would be very surprised if he survived it. :(

I don't for one minute believe he survived that. I'd be delighted to be proved wrong but it isn't going to happen.

Robert Cooper's just confirmed he hasn't survived it, and even Mike Cattermole said how horrid a sight it was. They sound very saddened, especially after all of the jokey pre-race references to cuddles, etc.

Barbaro

By Mike Curry and Pete Denk

Barbaro, winner of the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (G1) whose battle to overcome injuries suffered in the Preakness Stakes (G1) attracted worldwide attention and a legion of fans, was euthanized on Monday morning at the University of Pennsylvania’s New Bolton Center.

Gretchen Jackson, who owned and bred the Dynaformer colt along with her husband, Roy, said that Barbaro’s front feet were beginning to become affected by the limited ability of both his laminitic left hind foot and his fused right limb that was shattered in the Preakness Stakes to bear weight.

The decision was made early Monday after consulting with Dean Richardson, D.V.M., chief surgeon at the University of Pennsylvania’s veterinary school.

“There was not a foot that was not affected,” Gretchen Jackson said. “He just would not lie down. He had not layed down for two days now. That can’t be good for him. He’s got to get the weight off of his feet. They were bringing him in and out of the sling, but his front feet were showing signs of laminitic changes and we just thought rather than put him through any more else. He had been good up to the beginning of this month, and then everything went.”

Barbaro, who became the sixth undefeated Derby winner in history when he won the 2006 Derby by 6 1/2 lengths, demonstrated considerable discomfort on his right hind foot over the weekend and underwent surgery to insert two pins in his right hind cannon bone in an effort to eliminate all weight bearing from the right foot on Saturday. The procedure was described as a last ditch effort to keep Barbaro comfortable enough to continue his recovery.

“Dean said, ‘The good stuff takes a long time, and the bad goes fast,’ “ Gretchen Jackson said. “That seems like that’s what it was, it went really fast. We all are really, really confident that he didn’t suffer. We know that he was pain free and we just didn’t ever want to see him…it’s an issue of pain and quality of life. If it’s not going to happen, it’s just not going to happen. We just owed it to him to give him the best.”

Courtesy of thoroughbredtimes.com

Really, really gutted to read this. I am so sorry for all the connections who tried so hard to repair him. Obviously the right thing for the horse but it must be very hard to take for them.

It's so sad that it ended this way but the horse had to come first, it must be devastating for all those who tried so hard to have to make the decision and I feel for them all. They tried.

Bless him, he will always be remembered and he leaves a remarkable scientific legacy.

Can only echo Purr's sentiments in every way. He seems to have remained a wonderful patient throughout all of the attempts to save him, and what an effort by the whole team who tried so hard to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back