2007 Departures - Horses In Training

Status
Not open for further replies.
NOHALMDUN, Jonjo O’Neill’s last competitive ride and once a stalwart of the powerful Peter Easterby yard, has died at the age of 26.

A winner of 16 races, Nohalmdun was put down after spending a long retirement at the Ulceby Farm Stud in Lincolnshire, where he was also bred by owner Teddy Halmshaw.

“The Halmshaws had owned him all his life but old age caught up with him and we had to put him to sleep,” said Robin Maletroit, who manages the yard in Ulceby. “He came here at the end of his racing career and had looked after the mares and yearlings ever since. He’d enjoyed a good retirement.” Nohalmdun was a winner on the Flat but it was as a jumper he was to make his mark.

Over hurdles he finished third to See You Then in the 1987 Champion Hurdle under O’Neill and fourth behind Celtic Shot the following year, and his eight wins included the HSS Hire Shops Hurdle, Christmas Hurdle and Haydock Park Champion Hurdle trial during the 1986/87 campaign.

Switched to fences he ran up a sequence of novice chase wins before finishing fifth to Waterloo Boy in the Arkle Trophy in 1989. His biggest victory over fences was in the Captain Morgan Aintree Chase in 1990. He retired at the end of the 1992/93 season.

Yes, it is, that's why it's got 'Horses in Training' after the 2007 Departures bit. :confused: I really wasn't intending to keep a note of horses which are NOT in training, which are now ptp, polo, hacks, at stud, eventing, etc., etc. We would need an entire site dedicated to those as well as the ones currently active! Aldaniti, can we try to keep to the spirit of the thread, please, for the reasons stated, otherwise we're really going to be overrun. The 'departures' was intended for horses leaving training either through injury, death, or 'departure' for another career or stud. Maybe you could start another thread for everything else you want to note?

Just heard that Venn Ottery was put down this evening after being dismounted in the Game Spirit. what was ollie carter doing running him in this race? same could be said for Jupon Vert

Oh, no, poor old benighted VENN! Ridiculous to have put him in and made him try to keep up for a bit. I think there may be a fair bit of invective hurled at his connections for these vanity runs.

Terrible news :( I always liked the horse and often wondered what he could've achieved if he had stayed with Paul Nicholls.

The horse had a breathing problem for the past few years, even when with Paul Nicholls. It was a blunder by Carter that led to him running without a tongue strap in the Champion Chase, but for which he may have been third or fourth.

Carter does pull horses out of races on the day with great frequency when he considers the ground not right, so whilst he may appear to be 'eccentric' he does care.

A very sad end to this horse. VO will never be forgotten.

Taken yesterday on the first circuit.

RY3J04721.jpg

Crazyhorse will be absolutely gutted. Whilst we were still at the track yesterday she enquired if we could find out if Venn Ottery was OK. I phoned my Dad back at the stables and all he knew was that VO was with the vet.

Very sad news. :(

He was with a lass. It's really terrible news, the horse deserved a better fate and a saner owner. I admired Paul Nichols for writing what he did in his column yesterday - that to run VO in this race with this class of opponent was an abuse of the horse. How prophetic.

Originally posted by uncle goober@Feb 11 2007, 03:36 PM
Running a horse out of its class does not constitute abuse.
Agreed, not always. But PN was speaking form his personal knowledge of the horse and his mental and physical strengths and weaknesses, and I understood what he wrote to be in that context. I tried to find the full quote before posting but it's not in RP Cuttings and I lost my RP yesterday, maddeningly

Full quote.............

' I think it's an utter disgrace that Venn Ottery, who was such a star for us a few seasons back, is being asked to run against them. He had trouble completing in a P2P last season, so I'm amazed he's being asked to do something he's simply not up to. I feel really sorry for the horse.

Just been posted on TRF that Fearless Foursome who has done so well for Nick Alexander this season has suffered a fatal injury on the gallops.

Just read that, very sad news about Van Ottery.

As with regards to Jupon Vert running in the race (jft). He was there to pick up prize money, he was never trying.

@ re venn ottery:

I am in real tears, and kathy knows how concerend we were on saturday. I just wrote a letter to the Post, see whether they print it!

It is disgusting.

Dam, may I use you photo for our site?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back