2007 Departures - Horses In Training

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Griffin says, a heart attack is pretty instant so there is minimal suffering. As much as it upset us all when Shad died, we knew he was in no pain as he died before his body hit the ground when his neck broke. That is some comfort at least - it's horrible to watch them (or anyone) suffer.

Dave Duggan on ATR has just said that there were 2 fatalities in yesterdays Grade 2 Bobbyjo Chase at Fairyhouse. There was only one faller, at the first. Can anyone confirm this report and which horses are concerned?

Garvivonnian fell at the first Dims and Joeur D'Estruval is down as having been "virtually pulled-up run in, tailed off". Hope Duggan is wrong and that all returned safely.

HIGH-class middle-distance stayer Franklins Gardens has been retired from racing and is to take up stallion duties in County Wexford.

The seven-year-old, who won the Lingfield Derby Trial and Yorkshire Cup when trained by Mark Tompkins, will stand alongside Insatiable at David Murphy’s Clohamon Stud.

“I am sad to see him go but he has gone to stud in Ireland and that is nice for him,” Tompkins said on Saturday. “I hope he is successful as a National Hunt sire.

“He was a very good horse, he was a bit tricky to train at some stages but he ran some fantastic races.

“He won over a mile and a mile six - that was his best trip. He won the Lingfield Derby Trial then ran disappointingly in the Derby, but I don’t think he handled the hill that day at Epsom.

“He was a good stayer, he won the Yorkshire Cup and ran another good race when he was just caught on the line in it by Sergeant Cecil last year.

“Speed wasn’t his thing but he was tough and talented and we loved him here. He would be up there withthe best I have trained.”

Franklins Gardens, who contested the 2005 Melbourne Cup, was named after the home ground of Northampton Rugby Union Club by his owners Maggie and Keith Barwell, the club chairman.

In all, he won four of his 22 career races and earned £201,000 in prize-money.

All departures Paul - whether happy or sad - I think that was the point for it not just to be an obits thread of unrelenting gloom.

Not in GB or Ireland, but at Nad El Sheba on Friday night: Sheik Mohammed's Tropical Star, bred at Gainsborough Stud [by Machiavellian out of a Green Desert mare]. Following a freak event going out under regular rider Royston Ffrench to take part in the UAE Founders Trophy: he spooked, jumped in the air, went over and banged his head so hard he knocked himself unconscious. Although he later came round, he was found to be paralysed behind and was put down - a big blow for his local stable acc RF who was v uspet by it.

didn't something similar happen in one of the breeders cup meetings a while back? I'm sure a grey flipped over & at first they thought he/she was ok but had to be pts a few days later :rolleyes:

didn't something similar happen in one of the breeders cup meetings a while back? I'm sure a grey flipped over & at first they thought he/she was ok but had to be pts a few days later

That was the grey filly Exogenous Aldaniti. Very nasty incident too, it happened as she went out on to the track i think.

According to ATR Charlie Longsdon lost Kerstino Two on the gallops this morning. Shame, he was a nice horse.

Poor bloke - that is a real bad blow for them after all the horse has done putting them on the map.

Dreadful, dreadful news. It's the kind of thing which makes you wonder why or how anyone takes on the job, feel so sorry for them all.

Candy Stripes (by Blushing Groom), 25, Sire of Leroideanimaux and INVASSSSORRRR died in Argentina (colic)

Desert Star - owned by the Queen - has been retired. There were high hopes for him when he won his Newmarket maiden by five lengths but he has been so difficult to keep sound. Last year he left Sir Michael Stoute to join Henrietta Knight with a view to go hurdling. You may remember Lord Vestey's Karshi who suffered from similar problems when a well rated flat horse with James Fanshawe. He went to Hen and became her first Cheltenham Festival winner when she trined him to win the Stayers' Hurdle.

About Desert Star Hen says: "He suffered a hairline fracture to a front pastern two weeks ago. He was only having a quiet canter at the time but he had had a similar problem on a hind leg in the past and various other small cracks when he was being trained on the flat. It would appear that he has weaknesses in his skeleton and soft bones which have not improved with age. He would obviously never stand racing which is a huge shame as he is extremely talented and a lovely horse to deal with."

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Mar 1 2007, 04:59 PM
According to ATR Charlie Longsdon lost Kerstino Two on the gallops this morning. Shame, he was a nice horse.
Alittle something from the RP

A demoralised Longsdon said of Kerstino Two, who had wonfour races since joining his Moreton-in-Marsh stables: “Sadly he smashed a pastern going round the bend of our gallop and had to be put down.

“It's a bit of a setback for our small yard and we are all gutted as he had taken us to places we could only dream of in our first season and we thought he had a little chance at Aintree.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back